Here are some observations after our 4th league defeat on the trot, and one thing is getting more and more real with every defeat – we could well be relegated this season – then what?
Reading won and Fulham drew away at Blackburn and Reading are now above us on goal difference having won 2 games in a row.
- Oba Martins came on in the second half and was more of a threat in those 45 minutes than Alan Smith has been all season.
The commentators were asking how come this boy didn’t start – you’ll have to ask Kevin Keegan that. Oba hit the cross-bar with a 30 yard shot and seemed determined to show Keegan just how wrong he is to start Smith.Oba proved his point without any question.Drop Smith – please!
- Liverpool were streets ahead of us and we have to be thankful that Liverpool settled for a 3-0 win in their crowded season.
- The lads were OK for the first 43 minutes but always looked fragile. Once the first goal went in, however unlucky it was – that was it – game over.
- If it hadn’t been for Steve harper our goal difference – which now stands at -26, would have been even worse.
- We must go all out and attack Birmingham in our next game – that will help take the stress off our fragile defense. Anything other than a win at Birmingham will have the storm clouds gathering over Tyneside.
- Who would have thought we would be in relegation trouble this season after a Billionaire bought the club last summer?
- Relegation is a real possibility because we have just 3 points from out last 12 league games – have scored 6 and conceded 30 – if that’s not relegation form we don’t know what is.
- Keegan’s record since he arrived is played 8, lost 6 and drawn 3. We’ve scored 3 goals and conceded 19. One of those games was our 3-0 defeat at Arsenal in the FA Cup.
- We need to pick the strongest team available against Birmingham and that means Smith will not play and Martins will.
- We hope our two crocks Emre and Viduka may even be available to help the cause, although we will not hold our breath. Emre, Carr and Viduka should be paid only for the games they play – it’s daylight robbery that they are picking up huge wages for hardly playing.
- We would keep Steve Harper in goal – he’s played very well again in deputizing for Shay , and right now he’s probably our best goalkeeper.
- Newcastle have a huge public relations problem on their hands with our fans. They have to explain to the Newcastle faithful how come we are in the position we are. 80% of our fans thought we’d finish in the top 6 this season.
- They also will have to explain again why we didn’t add to our squad in January.
- Reading beat Manchester City 2-0 at home and go above Newcastle United on goal difference – that’s because they have won 2 games in a row!
- Fulham even picked up a valuable point at Blackburn, and are now on 20 points, but they have a better goal difference than Newcastle (-23 against -26).