Newcastle Relegation Watch

Sunderland were narrowly defeated 1-0 by Everton today at the Stadium of Light, to keep them just one point below Newcastle United, but Wigan got a great draw at home to Arsenal and that takes them above Newcastle on goal difference.

kevin-keegan-3939w.jpg

Kevin – when will he get first win?

Newcastle slipped two places over the weekend as a Reading 2-0 home win against Manchester City and a Wigan 0-0 home draw against Arsenal equaled their points tally with the Magpies.

They both have a better goal difference, and go ahead of Newcastle, who drop down to 15th in the league.

Here is the the latest league table after yesterday’s games with each team’s result yesterday:

Pos Team        Games Won Drawn Lost GF  GA  GD  Pts Result

12  Middlesbrough  28  7   8    13  25  42 -17   29  no game
13  Wigan 	   29  7   7    15  26  42 -16   28  draw
14  Reading 	   29  8   4    17  34  55 -21   28  win
15  Newcastle 	   29  7   7    15  30  56 -26   28  loss
16  Sunderland 	   29  7   6    16  26  47 -21   27  loss
17  Birmingham 	   28  6   8    14  31  41 -10   26  no game
18  Bolton 	   28  6   7    15  28  42 -14   25  no game
19  Fulham 	   29  3  11    15  26  49 -23   20  draw
20  Derby 	   28  1   7    20  13  57 -44   10  no game

Some interesting facts from the tables above.

Only Derby have conceded more goals than Newcastle with 57 against Newcastle’s 56. Only bottom club Derby again have a worse goal difference than Newcastle. Newcastle’s goal difference of -26 is our worst ever in the Premier league.

Just to show how badly we’ve fallen since mid-December here’s where we stood after our 1-0 win at Fulham on December 15th and where we are now in the league:

Pos   Games Won Drawn Lost GF  GA  GD  Pts

10     17    7    4     6  24  26  -2   25  15th Dec, 2007
15     29    7    7    15  30  56 -26   28   8th Mar, 2008

3 points from 12 games, 6 goals scored and 30 conceded. That sounds like a lot worse than mere relegation form to us -it’s utterly hopeless.

Where have the players been these last 3 months? Not getting any points, that’s for sure.

• big pea ov the weab

Mar 9, 2008 at 6:28 PM

at least the makams lost cheered me up a bit

• big pea ov the weab

Mar 9, 2008 at 6:30 PM

i think we might just hang on to our premier leauge only coz fulham and bolton r a bit craper than us i think we will get points off fulham and reading wich will probs b enouf to stay up

• ronaldeano

Mar 9, 2008 at 6:58 PM

Watch this big pea, it will cheer you up even more mate

We are not going down…

THEY ARE!!!!!

• Davy C

Mar 9, 2008 at 7:04 PM

Looking at the fixtures Bolton and Middlesbro have the hardest run in. We have four 6 pointers which we cannot afford to lose at all. Reading and Fulham play 5 of the teams threatened by relegation so it can go any which way. Our game against Birmingham is crucial and the derby against the mackems could send either of us down. I’ve got no nails left at all!

• Pete

Mar 9, 2008 at 7:11 PM

To be perfectly honest. I cannot possibly see how we’ll stay up with our current form. If we can’t provide some miracle and pull a few tricks out of the hat against Fulham and Reading at home, we’re down and deservedly so.

• scott9

Mar 9, 2008 at 8:08 PM

we just need one win if we dont get it against birmingham i think that might be it for us

• toon_boy

Mar 9, 2008 at 8:21 PM

Yeah the birmingham game is going to be massive, is anyone on here near birmingham??Possible food poisoning please??lol.Everyone just remember how we played last week and you all know if we play like that next week then we will win (with some finishing) as thats far better than brum although they are getting better under big eck! Really we could have the derby and wigan fixtures back for another go tho!

Im keeping the faith ronaldeano!!!

TOON TOON TOON!!!!!

• Leo

Mar 9, 2008 at 8:28 PM

play obafemi from start and we will win games, because he can score, and to win you must score, not just run around like headless chickens

• american pie

Mar 9, 2008 at 8:31 PM

couldn’t believe smith started ahead of martins. and more he was not substituted!!!

owen cannot play alone, bring back 442

and harper to be made no 1. given should not get it by granted. HARPER FOR ENGLAND!!!!

• Obafan3

Mar 9, 2008 at 8:47 PM

Right my plan….. We all storm the training ground at the time of the next press conference, we take KK hostage and force him to pick a team that all of us on this blog have agreed on. We then have one of us tailing him until the next game and make sure he sticks to the team we decided, and doesnt try any funny business. When it comes to the match he will pick our chosen team, if not we all storm his house in the dead of night and slit his throat, and give a KK face mask to one of us and then we can run NUFC from this very blog!! from then on we take over MA and buy out every other club in the league and eradicate the scum and Man u. We then take over the world. I have it all written down on a piece of loo roll, it shall not fail.

• CJ

Mar 9, 2008 at 8:49 PM

Relegated or not this in my opinion on who should go in there order
    Ramage
    Ameobi
    Butt
    Viduka
    Taylor

• Leo

Mar 9, 2008 at 8:58 PM

obafan3 it was going well and funny until you said slit his throat, please say you were joking and that you dont have images of kulling out king, i for one would have to stand in the way as would many more.

• Macca

Mar 9, 2008 at 9:01 PM

Any news on Given actually now that I think about it, didn’t he go to Belgium on Friday?

• Obafan3

Mar 9, 2008 at 9:02 PM

Of cors i was joking 😛 Kill the king, no way hose! it is infact a master plan which ends up with KK becoming a world leader, also running NUFC of cors!

• CJ

Mar 9, 2008 at 9:06 PM

Macca why are you not on the radio you sad little maccum prick you are a little smelly hermit who is socially retarded.

• Obafan3

Mar 9, 2008 at 9:06 PM

In all seriousness though, i really hope we do well under KK. It would be such a shame to tarnish his great legacy.

• Steve_48

Mar 9, 2008 at 9:08 PM

Get MARTINS on the pitch FFS ahead of Smith and watch his roar. He has passion, tenacity and ability, and will lead from the front.

Bring on Birmingham on 17th [Monday night] 3 points

Getting a little bit bored now with the endless mutual slagging off which has befallen this site recently, come on Lads, one club, one heart strive to stay up, give your support in times of need, it’s what we’re about, I live for this club it’s in my blood, I was born in the North East, cut me and I bleed black and white, we need to galvanise and get behind our black and whites and Keegan who knew it was a massive risk coming back but he believes and so should we.

Sorry been drinking and it all comes out.

Come on the Lads, all for one!

• CJ

Mar 9, 2008 at 9:09 PM

Macca why are you not at easter road you sad little prick i hope you look like your best mate Micky horse arse every time i turn the radio on you are on it talking complete shit about what matches you have been to why are you so obsessed with the radio i was surprised that they actually have electricity in scumberland mid.

• Macca

Mar 9, 2008 at 10:09 PM

Excuse me, don’t you dare call me a mackum. I’ve been a fan of Newcastle probably longer then you’ve been born.

• Leo

Mar 9, 2008 at 10:36 PM

im suprised about this macca, have you always resented and been angry about the club you ‘support’? im not basing this on this article but many things i have read you say, i know alot of people are unhappy at the moment but some of the things you come out with

• Macca

Mar 9, 2008 at 10:38 PM

I’m sorry now.I’ve been a Toon fan for all my life, a hell lot longer then half the little children on here. I’ve not always been resentful and angry but like, if you’d been following the team for as long as I have then you’d know why a lot of the fans are depressed as such. I’ve had enough of empty promises and then you come on across people on here who are just so pathetic and childish and target players based on where they’re from. The team are playing badly at the moment, whatever I’ve said, on here, everything I have said is true, and just realistic. That’s all. So I’m sorry if I’m not all lovey duvey butterflies and daises like.

• Hadji

Mar 9, 2008 at 11:00 PM

If KK doesn’t play Martins from the very start next game there will be no more place for tolerance.

• Cockney Magpie

Mar 9, 2008 at 11:01 PM

i dont know if we wil go down or stay up anymore but i do no 1 thing… if we do go we will stil have the greatest fans in the world and if we go down thats only gonna makeus more determined to drive our boys back up where we belong COME ON LADS!!!

• Macca

Mar 9, 2008 at 11:09 PM

KK seems tactically unaware at the times. It makes sense to play Martins, it just makes sense, I mean, the fact that he’s playing Smith ahead of him is a joke and almost an insult to Martins himself. Now maybe he sees a different Smith in training like but how many more chances is he going to be given, where else is he going to play him in. How many more times is he going to leave Martins on the bench, he’s so much potential and looking at the impact he made in the few mins he was on was, the fact that the goal was still shaking at the full whistle after he clattered the ball of the bar, in what would have been one of the goals of the season. It should be a clear message to Keegan on what the obvious thing to do is. But sadly I don’t think he’ll see it. If Martins is played, if he does start in our next game he’ll score and I think the goals will come a lot easier. It’s the solution to our problem of lack of goals. Yet for some reason, he’s on the bench.

• CJ

Mar 9, 2008 at 11:12 PM

Macca- I have to say sorry cos i thought you were the macca on here that said you were a sunderland fan the other day and the toss pot who is on every radio station in Britian.

• Hadji

Mar 9, 2008 at 11:15 PM

If this situation with Martins continues i would love if he leaves us in the summer.
    He’s too good for us,we don’t deserve him.

• Macca

Mar 9, 2008 at 11:21 PM

Cockney Magpie, I don’t think we’ll go down. I think what the 3 is now, I think they’ll go down. If we do go down, maybe that’ll get rid of some of the rot in our fans that we find on here and maybe then they’ll go back and annoy another team.
    But like, I miss the days of Shearer’s testimonial, that crowd, that day was a good day, (besides the fact that he was retiring), the fans, the voice, everything. I miss those days, I miss the twirling scarves. Like when was the last time we saw that.

If we went out and fought like hell and if we did go down, that we went down kicking and screaming, then I’d get over a lot quicker then I would if we go down with the team playing the way they seem to be today, in a defeated, negative like way. We had good days, and we can get those days back but it’s about the now, about standing up and fighting NOW. We need to stay behind the team and for the team to fight like their lives depended on it and if we go down, then at least let it be with a roar rather then a whimper. The way I look at it we’ve got 2 of the best keepers in Europe, my prefrence would be to play Given but he’s injured and Harpers doing well enough. Martins up front, and a few other good workers in there, who have the capability of pulling us out of this.
    The days where we beat Man U and Sunderland, those were good days. But it’s about now, we can get out of this God forsaken bloody mess were in now, we can do that if a few changes are made here and there and the lads give it one mighty lash. If they do come Sunderland at the end of the season we should be laughing in their faces. I believe the lads have what it takes, but I don’t know if they do. They all need to prove their worth and they need to prove it now. Now isn’t the time for regrets and I personally don’t want to be here at the end of the season thinking about what ifs and maybes.
    BELIEVE!!

• Tom_Toon

Mar 9, 2008 at 11:37 PM

I dont want us to go down, but if we did ill take the positive side and be excited with a lot of young players coming through to play and a lot of good young players brought to help take us back up again. We can start a fresh it will be brilliant, but id prefer we stayed up and did that gradually.

• Macca

Mar 9, 2008 at 11:43 PM

CJ..no problem, it’s a common name.

You know all this depressing relegation talk is, well, depressing and I was just thinking how much we need to really stand up and fight and it reminded me of 2 complete random moments I’d the pleasure of witnessing not so long ago.
    And it’s was one of those things that you just see.

I don’t know what I want to put this down, maybe it’s because I’m a little bit drunk and feeling sentimental.

I was in London not so long ago and I came across possibly, I have to say the best fans, rugby fans, I’ve ever meet, I don’t know why they just gave me that feeling like. They were singing, drinking, mixing with the other teams fans and they’d formed a circle in the middle of the floor and were jumping up and down singing “Stand up and fight” or something like that and I was thinking God they most have done a number on Wasps I think they were playing. It turned out they lost by a point. And my mate asked them why they were so happy if they lost and one of the lads said that sure, “It’s Musnter, we never do it the easy way.”
    Now it turned out that they were in the hardest group in the competition, and I was thinking why are they so positive if they lost and have a horrible group where only 2 qualify. So I left it at that anyway, and I completley forgot aboutit. That was a few months ago and not so long ago I flicked on the tv and Sky sports was on and low and behold it was Munster playing Wasps at their home, now I don’t know how many of you have heard of them but apparently their never beaten at home and they’d won, they’d won their group and as the tv was going around their ground I saw this massive banner that read something like “To the brave and the Faithful Nothings Impossible”

Apparently it’s one of their slogans or whatever. But it was just one of those things you’d have to see. It turns out that their song is pretty inspiring as well. Like I’m not a big rugby fan, I don’t really watch rugby, I’d never heard of them before, like but to see something like that.
    It was just one of those things and it really made me smile and just thinking about that now, it still makes me smile.
    It was completely random but I don’t know, inspiring I suppose. It was just one of those things.
    So I say what their banner said..
    “To the Brave and the Faithful Nothings Immposible”

Now maybe that’s story is something to hold onto or maybe I’m a little more drunk then I thought.

• Horthyy

Mar 9, 2008 at 11:54 PM

i just think that we need to find sum1 to be a good play maker. even if it comes from the youth team or resevres. someone who can feed the ball in behind the defenders for martins to latch on to, with his pace and finish. he would be world class soon get us out of the relegation battle. we need to offload a lot of player in the summer. need to bring in some real quality. not just squad players but top six larkers. the defence has been a problem ever since woodgate left. we need some real strong good powerful leaders to start from the back. Fernando Meira? giv im a trial. see how he fairs. our problem is. the teams that two seasons ago have brought in and developed some shear class.
    Blackburn – Bentley, Santa Cruz, MG Pedersen (on his day)
    Villa – A.Young, Agbonlahor, Barry
    Everton – Cahill, Yakubu, Arteta
    Portsmouth – Campbell, James, Defoe, (prev Benjani), Muntari
    Man City – Elano, Petrov, Richards, Dunne, (potentially Joe Hart)
    Tottenham – Berbatov, Keane, Woodgate(now), Lennon

we need to develop our reserves/younsters to this standard. or bring in some top form players.

i wud like to see at St James (some more rediculous than others)

Saha (if kept out of injury)
    not played enough at Man U, loan deal, got potential if can stay fit and can score goals. already proven that

Park Ji-Sung
    good player. versitile. not played. not regarded as much of a potential at OTrafford as the likes of Anderson and Nani.

Fernando Meira
    i just like his work for portugal
    not at a great club
    Stuttgart last time i looked
    soo cud prove himself

Andres D’Allasandro
    was brillaint for pompey few years back. brillaint cross on him and a tricky player. good left winger. after rumours that N’Zog wants to go south

Makelele
    not played at chelsea at all. Essien taking his role and a exceptional holding player. one of the worlds best one his day

Heskey
    to partner owen. in england. owen chose heskey to partner him for his previous international work. this could be key to getting goals.

Kevin Doyle
    very good player. good on the ball
    scores his goals and is a very tidy striker

Steve Sidwell
    good player shud leave the bridge in summer.
    not played at all.
    good potential
    would work wonders in the heart on toons team

Kenwyne Jones
    a dirty maccam. agreed. but his scoring form
    is the one thing that myt keep them up
    he is te player of drogba
    but years younger
    would be very good signing
    i think

what do we thinkk?

• ObaFan2

Mar 10, 2008 at 12:47 AM

Defo too drunk

• Were_not_staying_up

Mar 10, 2008 at 2:14 AM

were going down it was obvious keegan lost his touch ffs he never watched fotty for about 2 years he even said and when you dont use you talent you forget about it were going down we should have had patience and we dont so this is what happens in the end.

• Tripp

Mar 10, 2008 at 2:58 AM

Cue up some Whitney Houston for Macca… It’s a good story though and just shows what a gutsy team can do. Look at Barnsley fer chrissakes. That’s really the problem with us at the moment. The players don’t seem to have a lot of heart, as a team anyways. There are individuals who are fighters but there doesn’t seem to be any togetherness. That’s what’s killing us at the moment. We’re a better side on paper than several of the teams around us, but we don’t live up to it. I’m really hoping that that’ll change in the next few weeks. If it doesn’t we’re knackered. But like Tom_Toon said earlier, there will be positives and perhaps we’ll emerge the other side a better club. The glass is always half full, right?

• Callum

Mar 10, 2008 at 4:00 AM

Wigan drew with Arsenal – THATS WHAT YOU CALL FIGHTING FOR SURVIVAL! – Our players should watch and learn

We face Birmingham, Fulham, Sunderland and Reading – IF WE DONT PICK UP 12 POINTS OUT OF 12 WE’RE RELEGATED NO DOUBT ABOUT THAT. Come 19th April we should be on 40 points. We also face West ham away which should be winnable as they’re in free fall at the moment, providing we win these 4 games first, we should be able to beat West ham.

But i dont see us picking points up away at tottenham, portsmouth, everton and home to chelsea if they’re still in the title fight.

So that’ll leave us on 43 points, matching our last season record, which is the lowest we’ve ever finished on and this is a best case scenario.

• Ian

Mar 10, 2008 at 10:11 AM

Now our chances begin, some other teams around us have fixtures like our last few till then end of the season.

As long as Oba is our first choice striker then we should be ok, we need to build everything else round Oba, if Owen doesnt pair up with him well at the front then pick the one that does even if it is Ameobi or Fabio I do not care, then we need fast players to supply him, the likes of Nzogbia, Milner, Lua Lua, Gerami -ONLY PLAY CENTRAL not on the flaming wing, Duff can replace anyone on the left or right wing if need be, so Duff is more valuable on the bench to bring on in the second half if either of the wingers or central midfielders are slowing down, Duff is also good in a back left position.

We will stay up as long as we have the right strikers and players on the wing and midfield, we need to stop messing about with positions, Oba is the man build round him, fast pace reactional shots, Oba is like a machine gun, many chances and some will go in, so make sure we have the players to give him those chances.

as long as I see Oba on from the start I am looking forward to the next few games.