It’s Great to See Ramage On The Mend

Fit again Peter Ramage has revealed he will probably play for the Newcastle Reserve side at Bolton next Tuesday.

peter-ramage-99.jpg

Peter Ramage – back in action next Tuesday

The Ashington born defender also talked today about how good Michael Owen has been with him during his long term injury. Michael had a similar ACL injury of course, and Peter seems really thankful that Michael has gone out of his way and given him good advice all the time.

The 24-year-old returned to full training last week having spent nearly seven months recovering from that terrible knee injury he sustained in the game against Middlesbrough last August.

Peter told Newcastle World TV today:

“Michael has been brilliant with me the past six months or so because he had a similar injury the year before,” “He was always giving me advice and was there for me to bounce ideas and thoughts off.”

“It was great to be able to do that with someone who knew what I was going through.” “I have seen the way he has came back and he is on a run of games now which is encouraging for me.”

“Hopefully I’ll be able to get a run of games and fingers crossed there are no problems because I feel great at the moment.” “I would’ve liked to have played for the reserves at Blackburn on Monday but I think the more realistic target is next week’s game at Bolton.”

“I can’t wait to be honest and it has been really tough, especially because results haven’t been good and all you want to do is help.”

“I’m more than confident we have what it takes to get out of trouble and all we need is that first win.”

Peter’s contract is up at the end of the season so we have no idea if he’ll be retained. But his presence in training should be a boost to the rest of the players.

Peter is absolutely committed to the club and always has been. As Kevin has said recently, these local lads are like gold dust because of their spirit and application on the training pitch.

That’s what we need right now to let our stars know that 100% effort is needed in every game and white flags are not allowed.

But bottom line, it’s great to have Peter back, and we wish him all the best in his come back game on Tuesday.

Thinks:  How much will this raise the average age of the Reserves for Tuesday’s game?    😀

• Gloryhunter

Mar 12, 2008 at 11:32 AM

Advice from Owen? Don’t make me laugh! Good to see Rambo back tho.

• Leo

Mar 12, 2008 at 11:48 AM

rambo. nice one, i never heard him being called that.

good to see him getting back soon, because i think he was a good defender, although not the best he had heart and played for his shirt because he loved the club, not for the money

• GP

Mar 12, 2008 at 12:01 PM

His love of the club makes him worth keeping in my opinion – I don’t think he’ll ever be first choice though.

• dougnufc

Mar 12, 2008 at 12:11 PM

“Newcastle eyeing Marseille striker Cisse

Newcastle United are eyeing Olympique Marseille striker Djibril Cisse.
    Toon scouts watched Cisse in action last week against Zenit St Petersburg and manager Kevin Keegan knows the ex-Liverpool forward is keen to return to England. “

• Leo

Mar 12, 2008 at 12:12 PM

dougnufc where did you read that?

• dougnufc

Mar 12, 2008 at 12:19 PM

Tribalfootball

• Obafan

Mar 12, 2008 at 12:21 PM

Oh no Ramage is back. The worst defender I’ve ever seen in our shirt. Taylor is at the same level of Ramge ATM.

dougnufc – I hope you’re making a joke. I don’t like Cisse. BTW I think it is better to focus on saving the team and then start to build a ne team for next season. So ATM I don’t care who we are linked with I want the players and manager to get my team save ASAP!!!

• GP

Mar 12, 2008 at 12:33 PM

Cisse is not good enough, we have Martins who’s just as fast if not faster than him, who is younger and imo better. 12 goals for Liverpool in 49 apps, we could do better. We need midfielders and a commanding CB more than a striker anyway.

• Stami

Mar 12, 2008 at 12:36 PM

Cisse…we dont need another one legged striker, we have 2 already…!

• Leo

Mar 12, 2008 at 12:36 PM

cisse is faster than martins believe it or not, plus he is tall and strong, alot of the time at liverpool was spent trying to recover from that horrendous leg break.

he would be good foil for martins because i expect us to sell owen in the summer. i may not want this but i expect it.

we are not going to be able to get players like berbatov if we stay up but cisse is still quite young, is needing to prove something so he would be good.

however i will not get my hopes up on the story as its on tribalfootball… not many of their stories are cosher

• HeronMag

Mar 12, 2008 at 1:27 PM

Cisse is a top class striker. I’d be interested to see him in a black and white shirt.

• thelongshanks

Mar 12, 2008 at 1:30 PM

We should buy a top holding midfielder,if we had one this season we would be in 10th place at least.

• ELFER

Mar 12, 2008 at 1:33 PM

I’m more interested in seeing all of our current lads wearing a black n white shirt really on monday!!!

• Mr T

Mar 12, 2008 at 1:38 PM

I’m glad Ramage is back, I like him because he is always committed, is happy being in just the squad it would appear, just wants to be part of Newcastle because of his love for the club, and really….can you ask anymore from the lad? He’s better than Carr at right back, so hopefully we’ll re-sign rammy and let Carr on his way….hopefully Sunderland will sign Carr as another brilliant signing Keano will make!

• Stevey

Mar 12, 2008 at 2:11 PM

you could ask for some semblance of talent from ramage, yeah

• Mr T

Mar 12, 2008 at 3:12 PM

I don’t get why Rammy gets such bad press, I’d rather him than Faye or Cacapa in CB at the minute….

• Tom_Toon

Mar 12, 2008 at 3:38 PM

Cisse WAS faster than Martins. The priority is a decent cm.

• scott9

Mar 12, 2008 at 3:44 PM

ramage is a decnt defende rhe would be even better if he played with someone with experience

• Obafan

Mar 12, 2008 at 3:56 PM

Mr T – I think that you don’t know much about football if you say things like that. Ramage better than Faye (our best defender so far) and Cacapa (already prooved so much). What has Ramage prooven, except the fact that he is not sure if playing in the center and bad positioning if playing at RB????

• valle

Mar 12, 2008 at 6:19 PM

Great for rammy, even tho i dont expect him to get into the team. Rammy is a local and that could add something in the dressing room, but on the pitch he is one of our least talented defenders and actually not EPL material.

• ScottyT

Mar 12, 2008 at 6:46 PM

agree with most others think its gr8 hes back but he’ll always be a backup player really t least he gives a 100% unlike some atm

• bailey

Mar 12, 2008 at 6:50 PM

Cannot believe you getting excited by the return of Ramage. God help us.

• CRAIGG

Mar 12, 2008 at 7:06 PM

Great to see Ramage back,
    The matches that stick in my mind about him are the Arsenal match a few years ago where he was fantastic at right back completely out manouvered Hleb who was taken off eventually. The best performance from him in a blak and white shirt was when he was finally given a chance at centre back against fenebahce in the UEFA Cup last season and was outstanding won every header and his positonal play was fabulous and His partnership with Taylor was brilliant and more important mopped up after Carr and Duff who were the fullbacks due to injuries.

Its a shame that he is so versatile because he was moved to Left back as Craig Moore was fit to play the next game after Ramage deserved a run at CB because of our injuries he was denied it.

Obafan i agree that Ramage no way is better than Faye, But Cacapa is the prime example of what this club has become in the last 3 seasons:
    Over the hill, Not fast enough any more, 32 year old has beens having one last big pay out at our expense.

Ramage would start over Cacapa every time for me.

• Punk Skunk

Mar 12, 2008 at 7:19 PM

Aye, welcome back Rambo…What he lacks in raw talent he certainly makes up for in effort…But like Craigg said, he’s a CB & when he’s had a chance to play there i seem to remember him playing well!!!..Go figure!..

• CRAIGG

Mar 12, 2008 at 7:30 PM

Punk Skunk, he is a lot better than given credit for and hopefully that is the end of Carr as Rambo can play either full back positon and would never put in the spineless, effortless tripe that Carr has showed since his move here.

He is a solid squad player like Stevie Watson, Lee Clark or Robbie Elliott he Bleeds black and White and is the sort of player that represents the fans passion and commitment that our more talented players show a total disregard for.

• Punk Skunk

Mar 12, 2008 at 7:41 PM

Bang on Craigg, i’m with ya’!..
    …It’s boring that people under-rate players just ‘cos they’re not a ‘big’ name…Every team needs workhorses & a couple of local lads, just like every team needs youth & experience!..

• obaistheman

Mar 12, 2008 at 9:09 PM

newcastle werent lookin at cisse at that match they were looking at andrei arshavin for zenit petersbourg who we have been linked to for ages

• Gloryhunter

Mar 12, 2008 at 9:15 PM

Bailey@ 22. What position is he playing?

• obamagic

Mar 12, 2008 at 9:41 PM

Maybe they weren’t scouting Cisse but Samir Nasri… Nasri is definitely a good buy.