Trust Building Between Oba and Kevin

Oba Martins talked at length to the Newcastle Journal this morning and talked about how there is great respect building between himself, and his manager Kevin Keegan.

oba-martins-3.gif

Oba Martins – wanted to help Newcastle win the game

It was a surprise when Kevin replaced Oba, because along with Michael Owen, he seemed the player most likely able to score the winner.

Of course the TV cameras were on Oba all the time as he walked off, and he was muttering to himself and of course his face told you everything. Hasn’t Oba got a really expressive face? 😀

But when he got to the line, he acknowledged N’Zogbia, and then Keegan put his arm around his neck and talked to him, and then patted him on the back, as Oba went to the dugout.

Brilliantly handled by Kevin, and don’t tell us that Kevin isn’t a great man manager and leader. After we hear some of his talks before each game we’re looking for our boots to play   😀

Both Martins and Keegan have come out of this incident looking golden, because the emotion shown was for the good of the team, and that’s great right now, and was in short suplly, at least in the team.

Oba said:

“I like the manager, he doesn’t mind people showing emotion on the pitch and that is good,” “He knows that I wanted to try and win the game and he is happy with that sort of attitude.” “We are not angry with each other. I was upset when I had to come off, I didn’t want to go off because I wanted to help the team. I wanted to help us try to win the game.”

“I felt we were going to get the winner and I was frustrated when I saw that I was going off. There were a few tears because I was frustrated and emotional, nobody likes to be taken off and I’m no different. It was a big game for Newcastle and I was desperate to do something on the pitch which might have got us all three points.”

“I didn’t understand why I was being taken off so I made my feelings known, but the manager was brilliant. He said he understood how I felt, he didn’t get angry at me, and he just explained why he had done it.” “He told me to relax because I had played well and that I’d been taken off because it was a tactical decision, not because he thought I wasn’t playing well.”

“I think it was a very good point in the circumstances because we were in a difficult situation at half time. It was a game we could not afford to lose, because if we had done we would have made things a lot tougher for ourselves.” “There was a big improvement in the second half, we sat down and we talked to each other at half time. The manager told us what he expected from us, that we had to improve and we went out on to the pitch and did that.”

“We were 1-0 down again and that has been a problem for us during our poor run, but we didn’t collapse. We didn’t concede a second and that was important. I never give up and you know when there is just one goal in it that you still have a chance to win the game.”

“We had to stay confident in what we were trying to do and I think you saw the spirit and determination in the side. It wasn’t a great performance, but we fought for each other, which is what you need to do at times like this when you are worried about relegation.”

“If we carry on playing like we did in the second half I think the season will have a happy end. We have to stay positive, in our thinking and the way we play our football.” “It’s not going to be easy against Fulham, none of us think that, but we have to try to carry on where this game finished. If we play like we did in the second half against Birmingham, we know we can win that game.”

There is no doubt that Oba has become a fans’ favorite, not least of all because he wears his heart on his sleeve. Newcastle fans also know that the Nigerian will give his all very single game, even though of course there are times when he’ll be off form a little.

But we want Oba to stay at Newcastle, and if he is going to do that, Kevin needs to play him. Playing Viduka, Owen and Martins together at the start was a brave move by the manager. He also showed courage to drop Smith and Duff, who were both not playing well.

Kevin showed the courage needed to become a successful manager again, and the players responded, well at least in the second half.
We’re looking forward to seeing Oba and Owen terrorize the Fulham defense on Saturday – and please let’s get all 3 points.

• Swanx

Mar 19, 2008 at 10:46 AM

Oba was by far the best player on the pitch against brum. glad to see they are laright.

• african-kenyan-ronniezog

Mar 19, 2008 at 10:48 AM

i expect martins to be our relegation saviour this time instead kk coul have subbed viduka but all in all the team played well and on sato we expect 3eggs in the magpies bag.put on the same team kk and incase of a sub then zog should be in for njitap.otherwise newcastle fans in kenya africa{i mean guys like ikua{emre},kim{mzee leiva},astoo{mzee richardson} wish the magpies all the best.

• Leo Kompany for the Toon

Mar 19, 2008 at 10:49 AM

was duff injured or just left out? i missed the buildup to the game because i was filling the car up and getting pub money at the hole in the wall, didnt get a look at the subs bench

• faustino

Mar 19, 2008 at 10:52 AM

He’s a total star that kid, he’s like a black Kevin Keegan – it’s no wonder they connect!

This Fulham game is the first game I’ve looked forward to in a long time – let’s not f*ck it up boys!

• african-kenyan-ronniezog

Mar 19, 2008 at 10:54 AM

hi leo kompany for the toon duff was just left out coz he’s so useless

• faustino

Mar 19, 2008 at 10:56 AM

He wasn’t on the bench – Cacapa, Zog, Smith and Carrol were. No surprise really as Duff’s talent is being a’form player’.

Out of form he isn’t going to do anything, ever and I know that sounds obvious but he isn’t reknowned for anything really is he?

• Betting on the Toon

Mar 19, 2008 at 10:58 AM

Yea glad to see they’re getting on but if I was Martins I would have been seething at being taken off when he did. Clearly the best player on the pitch in the second half but still hauled off. At least they’ve sorted it out now but Martins needs to stay in the side.

• obafemiMartins

Mar 19, 2008 at 10:58 AM

oba is one of our most commited players, i hope he does sign the long contract of 90k a week, why shouldnt he? i think he is soo exciting to watch he reminds me of another of my all time favourites, old tino!! i think we will now build on that game and i can see us picking six points up in the next 2 games, we seem to be a bogey team for spurs when oba is playing, c’mon the tooon!!

• toonhitman

Mar 19, 2008 at 10:59 AM

keegan has to play oba from the start he is by far our best player

• geordie in taipei

Mar 19, 2008 at 11:01 AM

Martins is good and will surely get better….what i don’t get is people saying that Duff is off form….he’s surely been the best player on the pitch in many recent performances..hes skillful and attacks players..plus he can pass a ball…….which is something Zogs has yet to learn !

• iain

Mar 19, 2008 at 11:07 AM

• Davies

Mar 19, 2008 at 11:17 AM

If Carroll could hold the ball as well as Viduka (or if Viduka was as young, fit and tall as Carroll), we’d prbably have the best three man strike force in the premier league.

Pace, height, holding ability and opportunism are there in abundance.

I agree, Martins is by far our best striker. He works beautifully on his own up front, but as part of the three pronged attack on Monday, he looked incredibly dangerous. He may not have scored if he stayed on, but it looked like he was scaring the shit out of Birmingham’s defence, and Maik Taylor.

Let’s just hope that form stays, for every one that played on Monday night.

I don’t wish Smith out of the team. He seems like a nice bloke, and his work rate is top notch, even if he hasn’t found his form yet, but he should never be selected before Obafemi Martins. If that means the bench again, so be it.

• James

Mar 19, 2008 at 11:18 AM

He had to take him off, to save the point, instead of going for it and losing like we did against Blackburn. There was only 10 minutes left and losing was not an option.

Keep the lad fresh and fired up for Fulham

Perfect tactics, and great attitude from Oba

• obafemiMartins

Mar 19, 2008 at 12:22 PM

word on the street fella’s is that marcelino is coming in as head coach, with keegan definately moving upstairs, its been lined up for a since kk took charge so king kev can scour the world for best players along with vetere, wise, and jimenez, i think this is good idea to be honest as keegan will overlook first team matters aswell as scouting, for the most promising coach in world football as guilleme balagei puts him. i have heard this from very good sources and looks set to be a done deal aswell as ezquiel garay coming in to shore up the back 4. expect a big spanish/ south american continguent at the toon next year. i wont be saying you have heard it here first as it was the bollocks daily mail that reported it first

• iain

Mar 19, 2008 at 1:33 PM

guilleme balague must be mates with either vetere or jiminez or probably both.

hes one journalist who tends to be right most of the team and has strong links with real madrid so it wouldnt surprise me if he knew vetere from his days there. he alone is probably why skys revista programme get so many exclusive inteviews within la liga, hes obviously a rare thing a journalist with real connections in football.

he seemed convinced that when we were linked with deschamps that someone behind the scenes at nufc was very keen for ashley to appoint him.

• Whitt

Mar 19, 2008 at 4:44 PM

Duff has been MISERABLE all season! he doesn’t go by anyone, his crosses always go to the keeper, or behind the goal, and when he does shoot, it never even threatens. For me, we need Charlie and Milner in the side when healthy.