Bobby Robson – Rebuilding Needed In Summer

Bobby Robson has been talking to the Newcastle Journal today, and says we need 5 new players in the summer, so we can start challenging next season near the top end of the Premier league.

bobby-robson-statue.jpg

Bobby Robson – just a fan now

Bobby told the Journal this morning:

“I’m a fan now, which is very different and strange for me sometimes, but I still enjoy it,” “Saturdays are still for football and I go to games as often as I can. When Newcastle attack I’m on the edge of my seat, and when they defend I’m on the edge of my seat, so it’s a wonder I don’t fall off.”

“Newcastle needed the confidence Saturday will bring but they needed to play a bit better as well. I saw the match against Birmingham City where in the second half they did make an improvement in the way they played – a better attitude, better type of football, better shape and not so many weaknesses. They got a valuable point.”

“The win can only bring a more relaxed attitude, although they will still have to be very determined about how they play the next matches. I saw more players have better games (against Fulham) than in recent weeks. Recently I’ve come away and thought one or two players were poor but not so much against Birmingham and on Saturday.”

“Now when they play better teams, can those players play to that level? If they can there’s no doubt Newcastle United will be in the Premiership next season and they will do it easily.”

“Newcastle have the resources to take things on in the summer and I hope they do,” “There will need to be a bit of rebuilding. I think they’ll need five new players better than what they already have and that will entail spending a fair bit of money but that shouldn’t be a problem. When you see Aston Villa, Portsmouth and Blackburn Rovers up there … why shouldn’t Newcastle be challenging too?”

We know Bobby know football inside out and therefore what he says is also worth taking note of. He’s our number one fan now, and he’s usually picked out at every game by the TV cameras.

Kevin keeps mentioning that number 5 as well but we have an idea that we’ll probably bring in around 7 new players because some will need to be moved out too. We’d still like the club to appoint Bobby to some position at the club. The very fact he is a Newcastle supporter does the club a lot of good, because Bobby is loved so much in the world of football.

Bobby started his foundation yesterday to fund cancer research and treatment, and we’ll have a special piece on that coming up this morning.

• Dunc

Mar 26, 2008 at 10:27 AM

1st comment. This is a 1st!!!!

I love Bobby!!!!!!!!

Newcastle through and through this man.

One of the biggest mistakes made by our club was getting rid of him instead of the people causing turmoil at the club at the time.

Had it been Ferguson the playuers would have gone. Trust us to take a unique approach and side with the players.

Newcastle United should take note of what he says when he says it. After all this is the man who taught Mourinho!!!!

• Marguerite

Mar 26, 2008 at 10:35 AM

Well said Dunc, I have already written to the club requesting they make Sir Bobby and honorary member of the club and to do it before it is too late.

What a man – he commands love and respect from all fans throughout the nation. I was a witness to that during our away travels throughout the premiership when he was our manager.

Look forward to you piece on him Ed. Keep up the good work.

• SuperShearer

Mar 26, 2008 at 10:38 AM

Dunc spot on mate. When Fat Freddy sacked Bobby Newcastle began to plummet the depths of the premiership and started to shift through the dregs of the managers in the game. Under him we were an awesome side with talent and pace to burn. KK can bring the Robson days back. Sir Bobby the Toon Army salute you and wish you a speedy recovery and a clean bill of health for many years to come.

• ELFER

Mar 26, 2008 at 10:39 AM

yes bobby is fantastic.

ok, but I’m one of these who think we need additional players and not in exchange of some others.

I think ROZEHNAL is already gone, so he doesn’t count anymore. DIATTA won’t be extended and I think CARR also. These are all gone already for me.

Now I think up front AMEOBI and SMITH could also get sold and if we bring in a good young striker like GOMIS would be fantastic.

But all other players should be keept an only additions should be brought in (I do not want another season with too many injured players)…so I think of additions of AIDEN McGEADY,WES BROWN and some good midfielders! With that I think we will be strong enough to challenge the european places!!

• Eric

Mar 26, 2008 at 10:42 AM

Our Bobby is black and white on the outside and on the inside. Just like Shearer. Just like Wor Jackie was. Just like this site’s bloggers. We have to listen to Bobby. We need him and Shearer with a role at the club. Who needs the Daily Mail, the NOWT or the Sun? Not the Toon Army. We are a slumbering giant waking up again with KK and next season the shite hawks had better be beware. Hope we beat Spurs – might make Zog want to stay!

• HeronMag

Mar 26, 2008 at 10:52 AM

Elfer you’re right about Bafetimbi Gomis. Anyone interested in finding out about him should have a look on Youtube. He looks the complete business!

• simen

Mar 26, 2008 at 10:53 AM

I love Bobby too! 😀 How was it possible to replace this fantastic man with Mr no brain Souness?? It makes me so f**** mad!!!

• Viper

Mar 26, 2008 at 10:57 AM

Can’t say enought positives about SBR. Praise that man for everything.

And a big reversal/opposite to fatfred.
    top 4 for 2 years on the trot then… good call fred. listen to fans eh? souness! nearly spewed up when heard.

Be well Bobby, thoughts with you.

• Vitorbarbosa

Mar 26, 2008 at 11:02 AM

He is so right that some of our players were poor a few weeks back but played better on monday and saturday.

We can’t help but keep talking of potential transfer target after 1 win. I want to stress that we are not safe yet and and we can talk about transfer later when the season ends. We have the Euro period to look at potential target because clubs usually will buy big after the tournament. Of course, there are some instances where club bought players once the season ends(like hargreaves and ballack if I’m not mistaken) but it’s very rare.

Concentrate on getting us safe, then let’s us all here, every one of us, send nufc.co.uk our dream team. 🙂

• Dan

Mar 26, 2008 at 11:18 AM

I miss Bobby.. it was so much better in those days

hope Keegan can bring it back..

imagine 5 to 7 new players.. I was looking at the team positions, midfield is so thin of numbers..

• James

Mar 26, 2008 at 11:21 AM

Somebody made the point about Smith, and I have to say to see KK dropping him recently has been a real pleasure. We all know KK likes Smith as a person and compliments him in training, but he isn’t letting sentiment pick the team anymore. He dropped him because he wasn’t playing well enough.

Never doubt KK. We are in good hands. People that question his sentiments have always been wrong. He is quite a ruthless manager and will make us great again.

• GP

Mar 26, 2008 at 11:25 AM

Vitorbarbosa – We’re not coaches at the club, why shouldn’t we talk about where we want to strengthen the side? And if you’re talking about people actually at the club, then you’re still wrong, what do you think scouts do?

• Leo

Mar 26, 2008 at 11:51 AM

if he is to get a job, i would give him a cosey office with a nice comfortable chair to sit in, a big screen television and let him watch the footballers that the scout network have found that would be good.

although im sure tom toon is vying for that job

• Punk Skunk