Michael Owen Gives Fans A Heads Up

You probably don’t think of Michael Owen as a particularly good header of the ball, but his crucial goal on Saturday was his 5th headed goal of his eight goals for Newcastle this season.

michael-owen-1232.jpg

Michael Owen – five headed goals this season

Michael gave the Evening Chronicle a heads up today:

“I still read in some papers about ‘rare headers’, but my heading’s probably one of my strengths, given my size.”“I never scored many in the early part of my career, but in the last five years I’ve scored a few.”

“I think this season five or six have come from my head.” “And I think of my last 15 England goals, 10 have been headers. But I don’t care how I score, as long as they go in.”

“I don’t like talking about numbers, but it’s not a season to be proud of in terms of how we played, the points we’ve got and the goals we’ve scored as a team, and personally.”

“Obviously, I’ve had a couple of injuries, but I’m always looking to score in the majority of games.” “I tend to go on runs when I score when I come back from injury. I can be a slow starter, but once I score one, I tend to go on a run. Hopefully, that will continue.”

“We’re all trying to score goals, and if two of our strikers can get double figures, then it’ll be a decent return, but we’re not too proud of our record at the minute.”

Once again Michael is down to earth and critical of himself and the team so far as their performances this season are concerned. You cannot ask for much more than that from the captain, and we appreciate his honesty.

Owen has scored four of the six goals Newcastle have scored under Keegan, with the other two coming from Abdoulaye Faye (against Manchester United) and Mark Viduka (against Fulham).

Hopefully that number will rise significantly before the end of the season as we try to improve our goal difference. With seven games left this season Newcastle can help to bury the misery of another terrible season, by getting a few wins and banging in a few goals in the process.

It seems Michael is only too willing to head in a few more before the end of the season. He is adept at getting in front of his markers to head in goals and we’ve seen that quite a few times this season. Michael is certainly starting to look the part in the last few games, that’s the great news for Newcastle fans.

We’re not sure if Michael will get a game tonight in Paris against France, but if he does let’s hope he doesn’t get injured, that will be the only thing on Newcastle fans’ minds if he plays tonight. On his current form he probably deserves to play some part tonight.

• CRAIGG

Mar 26, 2008 at 3:29 PM

Ive got to say that in a way i hope he doesnt play, as he is hitting form and stringing matches together for the first time since he signed and that would be lost with another injury.

• Davies

Mar 26, 2008 at 3:29 PM

It’d be nice if he gets a chance to score more goals and keep bulding the confidence he seems to have regained recently, but like you say, playing for his country has proven an expensive enterpirse for Newcastle supporters.

DON’T GET INJURED BOY!

• Bill F

Mar 26, 2008 at 3:30 PM

He can stick them in Maradonna style as far as I’m concerned so long as he gets plenty of them.

• ObaFan2

Mar 26, 2008 at 3:30 PM

It’s certainly been a roller coaster ride for MO @ NUFC but as long as he can stay fit and play the way he has recently I’d say long may he continue in black n white.

The whole team are starting to look ok imo, even Butt (a couple of good games) and Barton (A good game!) are certainly earning a week or twos wages lol.

With a front 3 and MF working it is even making our defence look better!

Maybe it’s all the hard work put in at training which is beggining to work on the pitch now, whatever it is long may it continue.

• James

Mar 26, 2008 at 3:40 PM

Quite simply our best goalscorer at the club.

However its a bit frustrating that he is so good with his headers and we don’t have one single player in the team who is consistently good at crossing.

He will definitely play some part tonight because Capello has been impressed with his form. Hopefully he only plays the last half hour though.

We’ve got a tough game on Sunday and we need Captain Fantastic at his very best.

• Betting on the Toon

Mar 26, 2008 at 3:41 PM

Owen has looked back to his best in the past two games for me and has quite rightly been earning the praise for his commitment and goals. I always thought if he stayed fit he would deliver and, after a long run in the side, he’s finally showing the form which made us buy him for so much in the first place. As for Viduka, I was pleasantly surprised with his display and the pair seem to be striking up a great partnership just at the right time.

• Leo

Mar 26, 2008 at 7:00 PM

it is quite amazing how he manages to get these headed goals. just got to do with positional sence, if only martins learned from him soon we will have a hell of a strike partnership

• briss

Mar 26, 2008 at 7:17 PM

I knew it would just take time for KK to get things rolling here and look for a undefeated run hopefully for the rest of the season now that we’ve got the monkey off our back with MO scoring at least 3-4 in that time frame! Martins will put a few in too! HAWAY

• Nomis_jade

Mar 26, 2008 at 7:17 PM

Things are definately starting to pick up with the team and i think all credit has to go to Keegan. I read somewhere, i think it was a jose enrique interview, that under BSA they were playing a different style, with the long ball, and trying to be a difficult team to beat. And he said that under KK this has completely changed. Training has focused more on ball work, buy playing more 11 a side type practise matches, rather than focusing on the physicaal side like sam did.

Im sure if we had stayed with sam long enough he would have got it right, and im still critical that we cannot give a manager a decent run in the hot seat but i think its fair to say we are are much happier with KKs type of football.

Just looking at the last few games, players who had been playing poorly are doing much better and im sure its down to KK. He has obviously told the whole team, to keep it on the deck, particularly Butt who has played faw fewer long balls. At the fulham game you could see players telling one another to calm down and not play the long ball over midfield so much. I really hope we keep up the performance against TOTT.
    Also i dont think KK will want to keep michael owen in the deeper role, but he is just working with what players he has, and for the people to say he is tactically crap, i think he was brilliant to spot that michael had that in his game, and he has used it perfectly, at a time when he has little other options.
    Finally i really hope he keep martins, he is a brilliant player, and i hope KK gives him the whole 90 mins against Tot. Also Geremi didnt play that bad and like the actim index shows, i almost had 3 assits and a goal to his name. That not bad!

• Reb

Mar 26, 2008 at 7:36 PM

I’d wager Owen doesn’t see the pitch tonight for Capello, so no worries on the fitness front.

I love Owen, I’ve never hidden that, and I’m mildly upset to see a true legend shoved aside. Something sad about a 28 year old being sent to the knackers yard when he’s clearly ready and willing and able to contribute he just doesn’t fit the manager’s ideal conception.

• AdamCF

Mar 27, 2008 at 7:57 AM

I’m still waiting for a corker from MO. They’ve all been regulation that he’s put into the back of the net. There are at least a dozen chances he’s had to do what all good strikers should do and he’s missed. He still has a helluva lot to pay back to the faithful.