Hughton Seems Quietly Confident About Spurs Game

Newcastle coach Chris Hughton talked about the game with Tottenham on Sunday, and seems quietly confident that Newcastle can put up a good display against Spurs on Sunday.

chris-hughton-1.jpg

Chris Hughton – seems confident about Sunday’s game

Chris will be able to provide lots of input to Kevin Keegan about the Tottneham players and how they play. He will also be able to pin point what he sees as the weaknesses in the Spurs team.

Hopefully we’ll be able to get a good game plan together and the goal has to be to get all 3 points from our London visit. We must think big if we are to continue to get better results and move away from the relegation zone. Fortune favors the brave.

Chris talked to the Evening Chronicle today about the game on Sunday:

“I have been asked if it will be eerie for me going to the Lane on Sunday.” “While I don’t think this will be the case, it will be certainly strange, although I have to add that I am not the most emotional of people.”

“Obviously, I will be meeting a lot of people I know, including the Spurs players, for the first time since I left.” “But it will only be a good day for me if Newcastle United can get some kind of result.”

“Don’t forget Spurs finished fifth last season and the fact Newcastle beat them twice, and again at St James’s Park in October, should give the players some confidence on Sunday.”

“Looking back at last season’s game, while Nicky Butt scored the winner for Newcastle, Obafemi Martins’ equalizer was a fantastic goal.”

“When you concede a goal you look at the reasons why but there was nothing Spurs could have done about that goal from Martins.” “We will have to stifle their play.” “But obviously it will not be easy. Spurs now have a very good side and they are very difficult to beat on their own ground.”

“And if we allow them to get their passing movement going they will hurt you, especially with strikers of the quality of Dimitar Berbatov and Robbie Keane.” “If we sit back it is inevitable that they will get a goal so we have to get in there among them and in the likes of Nicky Butt, Joey Barton and Geremi we have just the players to do that.”

“But we also have the players up front in Oba Martins, Michael Owen and Mark Viduka to hurt them.” “Apart from the Liverpool game at Anfield we have been creating chances and I am sure we will get some on Sunday.”

Newcastle will no doubt have the confidence of coming off a league win for the first time in 14 games so that should help us in our quest on Sunday. We’d be happy with one point, just as long as the team goes all out for the win, which is possible if we play as well as we did against Fulham and Blackburn.

So far in our poll at the top right, 40% think we’ll win, 31% think we’ll get a draw and 21% think Spurs will win on Sunday. That’s with just 404 votes in so far. If you haven’t voted please do so, and we’ll see what our expectations turn out to be for Sunday’s game.

• Leo

Mar 27, 2008 at 2:18 PM

he knows something we dont know… haha i hope

• DC Magpie

Mar 27, 2008 at 4:09 PM

Personally, there is no one in the premiership I prefer beating than Tottenham. Does anyone else feel that way? I understand the significance of Sunderland and Middlesborough but for me I’d take 6 points of Spurs before anyone.

• GP

Mar 27, 2008 at 4:15 PM

I get what you mean DC Magpie, there’s just something about Spurs that bugs me. Same as Aston Villa, I’ve always hated Villa, it’s such an unattractive club.

• ToonKing

Mar 27, 2008 at 4:51 PM

same with me, although it’s a pretty close race between them and the mackems. The two teams i hate the most. the other is just plain dislike.

• Nev

Mar 27, 2008 at 5:16 PM

SHOLA’S GONE

🙁

• SuperShearer

Mar 27, 2008 at 5:16 PM

Huh, weird me too. Why do we hate Tottenham so much? I honestly can’t explain it but I love it when we beat them. I have to be realistic this time though, a draw would be great but they have a habit of scoring a lot of goals at the moment and I still think we look shaky at the back and lacking that killer instinct up front.

• ToonUSA

Mar 27, 2008 at 5:52 PM

bye bye Shola

• Davies

Mar 27, 2008 at 6:13 PM

Personally I enjoy beating Man Utd the most, but it’s rare that happens. Spurs come quite a way down the pecking order in fact. Liverpool, Villa, Arsenal, Chelsea, Man City and Bolton all give me much more pleasure.

• Davies

Mar 27, 2008 at 6:14 PM

….and Reading.

• norwaytoon

Mar 27, 2008 at 6:34 PM

Problem is we almost do not beat anyone. I hate losing.

• max

Mar 27, 2008 at 8:13 PM

the team i hate the most is arsenal…..

• Punk Skunk

Mar 27, 2008 at 8:26 PM

Neverton suck a lot…Scouse mackams!..& pug ugly football to boot…Actually, it’s trades description to describe them as football, init?..

• hanzemre

Mar 27, 2008 at 8:37 PM

after a long bleak period this season now the only way is up by winning more games than we’d used to. Howay NU~!

• Steve

Mar 28, 2008 at 12:51 AM

I’m with you guys, spurs, reading and villa are the clubs I enjoy beating the most. Hate spurs because their fans are so narrow minded, Reading because they’re shite but still have to wood on us at the moment (an ugly redhead super-sub always seems to pop up with a winning goal against the run of play) and Villa because they’re my best mates team and he talks them up every year.

I have tended to pity the mackems and boro in recent years.

PS. Pretty sure Smith will start in midfield this week. Possibly for Geremi. Thats my tip for the only change to the lineup. He can’t do much except stifle opposition passing. Probably capable of breaking a leg and ending somebody’s career also, but he is an ambitious tackler.