Oba Shocked To Be Leaving Newcastle Again

Oba Martins returns to White Hart lane on Sunday with the memory of his terrific goal he scored during a 3-2 win for the Magpies back in January 2007, still bright for everybody who witnessed the 84 mph cannonball strike.

oba-martins-2312.jpg

Martins – watch out – Oba’s just scored again

News keeps coming out from the gossip press that Oba will be leaving Newcastle in the summer and he’s often linked with Arsenal.

Oba spoke about this to the Evening Chronicle today:

“I was shocked to hear I was leaving again.” “My adviser called me last Sunday and he saw the news.” “I never said such things.” “What people must understand is I love the fans at Newcastle, I want to continue here.”

“Sometimes some fans say I am a legend to me, and I always say, no, no – Alan Shearer is a legend.” “I’m not a legend yet! There is hard work to do before people can rightfully say that.”

“There are no problems for me at Newcastle, my family are here with me and I want to stay.”

Martins has yet to score for Newcastle and Kevin Keegan since returning from Nigerian duty at the African Cup of Nations and his last goal was on December 8 against Birmingham. So the good news is that we are due a goal from Oba shortly, and maybe at White Hart Lane on Sunday.

Oba continued about that goal he scored when last at Spurs:

“It’s in the past although it was a great goal for me.” “I want to focus on scoring another one like it, I want to score more beautiful goals like that.”“We’ll see if it comes. It was certainly my best goal – it’s the one I like most.” “The fans as well like it too, and they always like to tell me about it.”

“We’re all overjoyed by those three points because it was the first victory since December. Now though we have to continue winning.” “We all have to focus on winning and nothing else to get away from the relegation zone.” “I think it’s because we are now playing as a team and everything is going so well right now.”

“Everybody is doing what they are supposed to be doing for the whole game.” “Tottenham is very important for us. As a striker if you don’t score you work hard and give more than 120% in training and on the field.” “That’s how football works. I’m not upset if I don’t score and the team wins and I’ve worked hard.

“Yes, I do try to score goals in every game but winning and hard work is first.” “Tottenham have quality players and have done well this season.” “We need to play like we have for the last two games.” “If we do that we will win.”

And Oba again reiterated there are no problems between him and Keven after being annoyed at being brought off against Birmingham Oba said:

“It’s not because I was angry with the manager – not at all. It’s just because I wanted to win, I was a little disappointed.”“At that time we needed three points at Birmingham.”

“It was better the last time I got substituted and the fans were happy with my performance.”

We noticed on Saturday when he was again replaced by N’Zogbia Oba had a little smile on his face when embraced by Kevin.

There’s no doubt about it that Oba’s a good lad, and it’s not hard to see why the Geordie fans have taken him fully to their hearts.

• James

Mar 27, 2008 at 1:48 PM

Any other player in his current position would be looking for a move. It shows tremendous character for him to stick with the club that brought him to the PL. His attitude is excellent we haven’t seen the best of him yet.

• Kenny678

Mar 27, 2008 at 1:49 PM

21 or 28..obafemi martins!!

• Michael

Mar 27, 2008 at 1:57 PM

Whether he stays or goes is not up to him. If Newcastle decide they do not want to keep him then that is that. Great commitment and loyalty demonstrated by Martins and that should be a PR lesson for many of the players around the world. Unlike Owens Taciturn approach when speculation linked him with a move away in the summer. Either he was not found for comment or simply reticent on the matter.

• SuperShearer

Mar 27, 2008 at 1:57 PM

Oba is a stand up Newcastle player, he has always given more than 100% for the club and despite interest from big clubs has always said he wants to stay here. That is a rare thing in todays football climate and he deserves the fans backing which we given him greatly. I just hope that KK sees how great Oba can be and doesn’t look to cash in on him in the summer. At any other club Ob would be lethal we just need to get him some good service.

• zhun

Mar 27, 2008 at 2:06 PM

Martins, you are still young , but surely you will become Newcastle legend one day
    when Owen leaves, you are the one!

• AndyT

Mar 27, 2008 at 2:20 PM

It will be interesting to see what KK does against spurs. I dont think 433 will be a sensible way to start. I think Viduka and Owen are better than Oba at giving the midfield time to get forward. I think Oba has electric pace and is a threat to the defence. I can understand it being a complete headache for KK, I want Owen out there because he has shown great leadership and has been getting the goals. I want Viduka out there becuase of his ability with his back to goal. I want Martins out there because of his pace and workrate. BUT! I want 4 in midfield to counter the spurs passing game and because with the pace that spurs have up front we will need to defend deep and a 3 in midfield would be too stretched. I think Owen and Viduka would give us more posession than Owen and Martins, but I think Owen and Martins would give the spurs defence far more things to thinks about.
    I think Owen and Martins would be my call.

• Leo

Mar 27, 2008 at 2:23 PM

love oba

once he gets on the goal trail again im sure they will come flooding in

• DC Magpie

Mar 27, 2008 at 2:26 PM

Couldn’t love this guy any more. I will be over the moon if we can sweep the spuds for the second season running, with Oba and Owen to score.

Oba is a Geordie!

• richie

Mar 27, 2008 at 2:29 PM

v spurs
    harper
    beye taylor faye enrique
    geremi barton butt duff
    owen viduka

martins to feature

we need 4 in mid to curb chimbonda and hutton, keep it tight and try an knick a 1 nil or 1-1

• ObaFan2

Mar 27, 2008 at 3:01 PM

Oba is a Geordie 🙂

Can’t help it but I just love this guy and his commitment to the team, I also hope KK keeps his faith in him.

Usually I hate anyone who says something more than 100% but Oba 120% is fine 🙂 even 1000% if you want 😀

I believed that he was a KK sort of player and hope that he isn’t benched for Sunday’s game but I agree with those that a 4-3-3 might not be the best option but yet again it might be our only option again and the team has improved with this formation.

Attack is the best form of defence?

• Davies

Mar 27, 2008 at 3:14 PM

Good footballer, terrifying for any keeper to face. Seems like a nice bloke too. He is without doubt the biggest asset we have.

I hope he’s at SJP for as long as Shearer was.

• ScottyT

Mar 27, 2008 at 4:21 PM

good to hear tha oba is still enjoying it here in newcastle and once again shows what a load of crap newspapers print.

really have got to the end of it where when i see any headline like ‘oba to move’ or ‘ashley to sell’ i just have to laugh. h8 the press lv oba 🙂 lol

• JP from The Rock of Gibraltar

Mar 27, 2008 at 4:47 PM

Oba you’re the best m8 !!!! I love this guy 🙂 He always puts a smile on my face, be it by hearing him talk of Newcastle so fondly or by the way he smashes the ball into the back of the net and goes and does 3 or 4 back-flips. This guy is soon becoming a legend, I would love to see him progress with confidence once he gets a good run in the team. The starting line up against Spurs is a tough one. I guess it might be wise to try and put a 4 man midfield in the first half and if it still isn’t convincing then I would go for the 3 man attack up front in the second half. I hope we win because if we do we’ll be over the moon with confidence and get our rhythm back at last.

• staffsmag

Mar 27, 2008 at 5:03 PM

Oba will be a toon legend !!! Love his attitude and approach to the game – Haway the lads !!!

• Bosck

Mar 27, 2008 at 5:53 PM

looks like we may be going for the same team against spurs, if you look at chris hughton’s comments on the next thread he names the 3 in midfield and 3 up front as ways of unsettling tottenham.

• obamagic

Mar 27, 2008 at 5:58 PM

OBA THE LEGEND!!! plz do not leave us…..

• Hadji

Mar 27, 2008 at 6:10 PM

Oba’s the man.Please don’t leave cause you gonna affect my game on the PS 3 PES 2008.
    When we sold Luque my winning percentage has fallen big time especially against my best mate who is a Liverpool fan.
    LOL

• scotty

Mar 27, 2008 at 6:22 PM

I think he offers something different but the words “chicken” and “headless” spring to mind when i watch him……. Definately still has a lot to learn.

• Hamabi

Mar 27, 2008 at 6:33 PM

I have no idea how he hit that shot so hard, to be honest. Probably would’ve broken fingers if it were saved…

• hanzemre

Mar 27, 2008 at 7:46 PM

hopefully when KK does opt that 4-3-3 formation we’d tear the Spud’s defense unsettle them till we’d have that early goal & the next so that we’d have an advantage to change back to 4-4-2. yeah it might work this time.

• domtoon

Mar 27, 2008 at 8:25 PM

oba man, you’re a legend in the making, and big things will be at the toon for you if you stick at it with us

• Punk Skunk

Mar 27, 2008 at 8:36 PM

Yea, 433 is the way to go v spuds at no heart lane…Don’t change a winning formula, we can always revert later!..

• ObaFan2

Mar 27, 2008 at 8:46 PM

scotty, defenition of a headless chicken this year has been Smith so IMO you are way off the mark suggesting Oba is!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If Owen is going to continue to drop back and become a sort of attacking mf then yeah keep the 4-3-3, afterall the team is playing together now and hopefully will be able to cover and help each other.

• Todd

Mar 27, 2008 at 9:32 PM

Was happy to read this about Oba. I think he’s an asset, and I hope the club feels the same way. He’s talented, committed, and he cares. You don’t sell off players like that.

• DC

Mar 27, 2008 at 9:38 PM

Love him, he will be a legend but he is by no means the finished article and I think of the three up top he is going to be last on the team sheet for at least the rest of this season – if he had Viduka’s first touch he would be the first.

As for Spurs I am more than a little worried, if he goes 433 they will kill us down the flanks and if he changes t 442 with N’zog or Duff and we still lose you know some “fans” will get on his back for dropping oba. A point from this game will make me a very happy man!

• uche agwu (newcastle fan)

Mar 27, 2008 at 9:42 PM

oba, you will find ur form again and you surely will be newcastle legend if you remain with us. hope you score against spurs.

• JJ

Mar 27, 2008 at 11:03 PM

Oba and Zog are our only flair players and exciting football is what Newcastle should be about.
    When Oba is on the ball he is so exciting to watch, he just makes things happen.
    Headless chicken???? – get real!!!

• phoonCK

Mar 28, 2008 at 3:15 AM

i remember watching the game against Fulham, and Martins ran down the left flank chasing after a long ball from Enrique. His explosive pace give him the extra space ahead of the 2 defenders chasing, and with a delightful drag of the left leg on the ball over to his right, he pulls the trigger straight away with his right and the ball was at high speed and curling towards goal, only to be brilliantly saved by Keller.

Any other striker would have needed a second touch after that left leg drag-over before pulling the trigger, but this amazing guy didn’t (players like Berbatov, Eto’o and Rooney, who are all top class, are capable too). And Martins is going to develop into a top-class player too, just has to improve his positioning and 1st touch.

Keep the Faith
    Howay the Lads

• Jinal

Mar 28, 2008 at 4:27 AM

Oba is a very talented player and his dedication to the club will see him do great things for us.

Hopefully his goal drought ends at the Lane with another cracker. Come on Oba – You’re our #9!!!

• clinta

Mar 28, 2008 at 4:55 AM

seems obfami martins is definately one thing all toon fans can agree on then?

• Stami - PLAY CARROLL

Mar 28, 2008 at 7:18 AM

this lad is by far my favourite! his attitude is a breath of fresh air! hard worker, all the heart in the world and so passionate! a class player!!!

• ELFER

Mar 28, 2008 at 8:28 AM

This words now come fully out of my heart: He’s a fantastic outstandig lad! I truly love him for being here at our club and always giving everything! I luv it!

I would really love if oba can read these sentences – I’m so pleased of his commitment and he is our future!! no doubt!

• Eric

Mar 28, 2008 at 9:52 AM

Sock it to ’em Oba. You are a credit to the famous number 9 shirt. These media pundits probably could not pump up a football let alone do with one what you can do. Keep up the good work mate!

• The black in the blacknwhite

Mar 28, 2008 at 7:27 PM

oba obafem oba obafem, oba obafem obamfemi Martins Oba……

and so on and so on