Owen Playing So Well In Midfield – And Still Scoring

Michael Owen had another good game at White Hart Lane yesterday, and showed just what a good player he is, as he hardly wasted a ball playing behind Oba Martins and Mark Viduka in yesterday’s rout of Tottenham Hotspur.

michael-own-scores.gif

Michael Owen – celebrates his goal with the ecstatic Viduka and Barton

The in-form striker also got his third goal in as many games as his deeper lying role doesn’t seem to be interfere with Michael scoring goals. That’s 5 goals in the last 8 games for Michael – not too bad at all.

That win takes the Magpies a full nine points clear of the Premier League drop zone since Bolton couldn’t get anything out of their game with a 10 man Arsenal side, even though they were two goals up with just 30 minutes to play.

Michael told Newcastle World TV this morning:

“It’s a great feeling to win like that,” “I’ve said all along that one day we would hopefully look back and say ‘What was all the fuss about?’. “And, even though we’re not definitely safe, it certainly gives us some breathing space.”

“Currently we’re playing a certain way which the gaffer has decided and I’ve enjoyed it.” “Everyone knows I’m a striker who scores goals, but I’ve enjoyed coming off and I’m still getting into the box and scoring those goals – it’s three in three with the new system.”

“It’s good to have a link-up and, especially away from home when you’re under the cosh, it’s nice for the lads at the back and in midfield to have an outlet and that’s my role at the moment.”

Owen’s strike to make it 3-1 was an important goal because it gave the lads some breathing room, before Oba Martins’ brilliant solo effort rounded things off on an afternoon to remember for the Newcastle faithful.

Michael talked about his ninth goal of the season:

“I just remember Oba cutting inside and the ball going into Dukes and he has just flicked it slightly.”

“As I’ve went to hit it I’ve kicked the defender’s leg but obviously the momentum of my leg has carried through and, although I haven’t hit it with any power, the direction was good and thankfully it’s floated into the net.”

“As everyone knows I tend to score goals in patches and I’d like to think that once I score one the confidence is up and I’ll keep on scoring.”

The one thing that was apparent with our team yesterday is that we created chances galore, and one of these games we’ll take a higher percentage of them and score a lot more than four goals. We did hit the cross-bar and the post yesterday, and Paul Robinson made at least a couple of wonderful saves.

That’s the really good thing that’s happened in the last few games because several weeks ago we weren’t creating any chances at all.

But Keegan’s coaching is starting to shine through, and our strikers must think they are in a dreamworld, playing in a Kevin Keegan team, that attacks for 90 minutes.

Where’s my boots? 😀

• King Kev-4-3-3

Mar 31, 2008 at 10:35 AM

I LOVE THE NEW SYSTEM, 4-3-3. SEEMS TO BE THE WAY FORWARD THESE DAYS

• George

Mar 31, 2008 at 10:37 AM

Michael Owen is definately looking more comfortable of late, plus we are getting goals from him. Mind you the rest of the team are performing better also.
    Enrique is like a new player. Geremi has found some of the form that prompted Chelsea to buy him. Butt has improved on what was a good season for him anyway. And that is only a small amount of improvements in the team.
    But most of all, it is nice to see all of them, including Michael Owen, playing with smiles on there faces.

• Leo

Mar 31, 2008 at 10:44 AM

owen more of an attacking midfielder, could this season get any more strange

• Sloop Jon B

Mar 31, 2008 at 10:45 AM

Is that contract on the table for Oba to sign?
    Who is this Geremi charactor?- looks like the player that shone for the boro.
    Happy days- Spurs will hate this result, but will claim they had nowt to play for. That’s the Corinthian spirit!

One of the highlights of the day was seeing Alves kicking the post in frustration at Chelsea! First rate.

• James

Mar 31, 2008 at 10:47 AM

Get him a new contract asap. He has to stay. Captain Fantastic should be here for years to come.

• bozo

Mar 31, 2008 at 10:48 AM

Could keegan be trying to turn Owen into more of a Beardsley type player, I know it sounds strange but we all know Keegans history at Newcastle shows he reinvents players Rob Lee into central midfield as a classic example. So maybe Owen is the new Pedro. Great performance by all the lads at the weekend I haven’t enjoyed watching a match so much in years.

Oh and great site Ed by a fan for the fans and giving us a voice too.

• SuperShearer

Mar 31, 2008 at 10:53 AM

Highlight of yesterday, despite the score line, was the fact that every goal we scored the players looked like a team. They all ran to congratulate each other, all wanted the rest of the guys to enjoy the moment with them. It feels like an age since I have seen such a happy looking team in Newcastle colours. All credit to KK he has worked hard to get the team playing together and boy did it show yesterday.

• King Kev-4-3-3

Mar 31, 2008 at 10:57 AM

does anyone her play football manager, if so anyone want a network game??

• MichaelA

Mar 31, 2008 at 11:03 AM

Being a rare fan of italian football, this new system resembles the system Milan have used under Ancelotti. I’m not saying we are A.C. Milan, but with N’Zogbia wanting away, Milner injured, and Duff playing the name by nature game with Danny Shittu, then this system seems to be the only option.

With width provided by the 2 quality fullbacks we have, and the link between midfield and up front provided by Owen, we certainly haven’t missed the wingers.

• stjames

Mar 31, 2008 at 11:09 AM

To be honest I didn’t think the “Big Sam Boys” were capable of a game like yesterday’s against Spurs. Well, much to my surprise, I was proven wrong. How I like to be wrong now and then. Suddenly there was team play, there was ambition and there was confidence.

This Kevin character must be something. 🙂

• Spot The Zebra

Mar 31, 2008 at 11:14 AM

The turning point seemed to be Liverpool away when KK decided never to send a team out again “with no goals in it”.Hence 4-3-3 and a distinctly different attitude towards the game compared to other struggling teams around us at the time.Take Fulhams dire performance at St. James recently for instance where they offered little going forward.Keegan is a football genius.
    … and so we have the momentum which will be all too familiar to those who remember Kevins last term in charge.Once this steam roller gets going its very hard to stop and now its on to some “unfinished business”.

• Nick Dryden

Mar 31, 2008 at 11:38 AM

I think KK deserves a lot of credit for seeing the possibility of Owen as a link striker. Owen may not quite be a 2nd Beardo, but he is small and tricky and it was very perceptive of KK to try him in that role. I’m loving seeinng KK getting the chance to ram it down all his critic’s throats.
    Spurs fans are so obnoxious even though that’s 5 on the bounce we’ve beaten them now.

• moomfan

Mar 31, 2008 at 12:30 PM

To all the toon army out there, this season was doomed from the start for us. WHY ? Because of the transitional period, having a new owner, a manager that was wrong-Allardyce , a small squad and INJURIES to boot…not to mention loosing four strong players to the ANC. However, King Kev has been and will always be our true manager and belongs nowhere else. Our players are strong and quality compared to a team like Totenham, West Ham, Portsmouth, Everton, Blackburn and Man City. Only the top four truely have a better squad and that costs hundreds of millions of pounds. Totenham can try to play down there defeat to us all they want, but in reality outside of Woodgate and Jenas(did not play) , Newcastle is by far a better squad. With the right manager, Keggy and the team playing to his instructions, there is no way this team should be loosing to anyone outside of the top four. We are fortunate to witness the final result of his managerial ability and passion for Newcastle. With $1oom pounds we would be top four next season with Keegan. These lads have some way to go still this season, but I never felt uncomfortable even while we were loosing, because I always knew Mr. Keegan wiuld turn things around. Oh, by the way… can someone tell me who the f*** is harry redknapp and why is he so big headed about this job. he most certainly would have failed. Anyway my fellow blokes for the toon, just wanted to keep things in it’s proper perspective. Watch us next season…GUARANTEED

• HeronMag

Mar 31, 2008 at 1:12 PM

The most interesting thing I have thought about Owen playing in a deeper role was that the tabloids had a lot of fun dredging up a minor Owen-Keegan clash from the England days. The clash was based upon Keegan’s attempts to play Owen in a deeper role. Looks like Keegan has always seen his ability was more than just playing off the shoulder of defenders. It’s Owen’s footballing brain that makes him a good player, not just his pace. I’m sure Michael now sees just what KK was trying to show him in his younger days. I doubt the papers will mention that.

• spyro

Mar 31, 2008 at 1:29 PM

not a bad idea king kev 4-3-3-

• scott9

Mar 31, 2008 at 2:37 PM

i just hope viduka can stay fit for next season so we can keep playing the same system as it works really weel i think in the summer we need to concentrate on the back four the most then a creative midfiled player and maybe a striker

• Tripp

Mar 31, 2008 at 5:46 PM

scott9, that’s why I think it’s good to take the Duke off if we’re winning comfortably. He plays a massive role and we need to sorta handle him with kid gloves. He’s played 3 games in a row. Has he done that all season?