The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Harper – Best Team Performance I’ve Been Involved In

9:43 am, Tuesday, April 1st, 2008 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 13 Comments

Our goalkeeper Steve Harper, who had another solid game at Tottenham on Sunday, thought the display on Sunday was just about the best team performance he’s ever been involved in.

steve-harper.jpg

Steve Harper - performance on Sunday was brilliant, fantastic

Steve talked to the Newcastle Journal this morning about the game:

“When we look back we might look at that game and say that was the spark that ignited everything “That was the moment the new Kevin Keegan era really began in earnest. I certainly hope so.”“It was absolutely brilliant, fantastic.”

“It was as good a team display as I’ve ever been involved in. It’s been a long time coming, but I can’t remember a team during my time here playing as well as that away from home. It was different class.”

“I think we got a big boost when we arrived at the ground and saw Tottenham had changed their shape to try and match us. It meant they were worrying about us and what we can do. It’s all credit to the manager for changing the formation a few weeks ago because it has worked.”

“To go to a club like Tottenham and win so convincingly is a big achievement. They’ve been in good form, they’ve won the Carling Cup this season and they have a top manager.”

“I think teams will be worried about us now, if Tottenham were, then so will all the teams in the division. A result like this will certainly make people sit up and take notice.”

We think people are already looking to Newcastle to be a much improved team next season – we certainly are this season, given our last 3 performances.

We watched the game again yesterday and the lads in the second half were just so dominant. The midfield three of Butt, Barton and Geremi were magnificent and it certainly shows that Keegan can get the best out of players, even though it took him a couple of months to get to grips with the situation.

But any manger who has the courage to go away to White Hart Lane and attack an in-form Spurs side deserves the rewards of that courage .

And Kevin Keegan got everything he deserved on Sunday with a wonderful display of attacking, competitive and inspired football from his men. They were just too much for Spurs to handle in the second half.

What a manager – what a guy!

Tags: Newcastle News · Steve Harper

13 responses so far ↓

• 1 Leo // Apr 1, 2008 at 10:00 AM

a bit off topic but has anyone seen that porto fc are likely to be either docked points or relegated for corruption charges back when jose morhinho was in charge, that will tell you why some dodgy decisions when his way against us last year.

there are some good footballers at porto that would be cheaper than usual if this were to happen

bruno alves ricardo quaresma adriano lucho gonzalez/mario gonzalez jose bosingwa

there a couple names from their squad which i have heard people mention on hear.

• 2 Punk Skunk // Apr 1, 2008 at 10:06 AM

Y’ve got to think the defense seems happier with Harper in goal…It seems like we’ve gone back to the first 10 games, when we seemed more solid at the back…Don’t know where this leaves Shay?..But it’s excellent to have 2 shit hot keepers at the club-i predict a tough fight for the no.1 jersey next season!..Well done Steve, your loyalty is bein’ rewarded mate, keep up the good work…& Ho’way Shay, hope y’back to y’best real soon man!..
    …Toon, Toon!..

• 3 Eric // Apr 1, 2008 at 10:19 AM

We should all pay tribute to Steve Harper. He has always deputised very well for Shay but it is more than that. His loyalty deserves a medal and his displays recently have shown us all what a great goalie and team man he is. He has saved the day for us a number of times. Keep on song Steve – I would have you in the England squad but I am not the manager.

• 4 spyro // Apr 1, 2008 at 10:31 AM

i said it to all the pessimists before the Tottenham match, Tottenham are NOT a top 4 level team, they lack consistency and they really struggle when teams attack them. Which is why we always get around 3 goals against them lol

• 5 Egar // Apr 1, 2008 at 11:26 AM

Punk Skunk,

I share the same observation regarding Steve Harper in goal. Both are good keepers but the results seem to favour Steve. (I might be wrong here.)

Somehow, I see Steve as better at launching an attack from goal than Shay although Shay can be remembered for many fantastic saves. It’s a tough call on who would be a better choice.

• 6 hanzemre // Apr 1, 2008 at 12:05 PM

I think NUFC must march on & steadily to end this season on a high note. A bit higher target is good to drive the players to get them achieving a respectable ranking in the league table e.g. 10th place. KK’d assess better & fairly on his players at his disposal. Only then he’d sell the deadwoods/wanna-outs e.g. Ameobi, Carr etc. & just add more quality in certain departments to make us bigger squad to compete with top 4 teams.

• 7 Vitorbarbosa // Apr 1, 2008 at 12:38 PM

I do not really think that TOT change their formation to play against us. I still think that they already have the room to experiment everything since their season ends already. Got into UEFA cup and will not finish any higher in the table anymore.

I think every game remaining, Ramos will take the chance to assess his every player, trying different playing ways to prepare them for next season.

I agree that we played well, but this TOT is not 100%. So, I must disagree with Harper that they worry about us. We still not that good yet. We could be on that level if we continue winning.

• 8 Rob // Apr 1, 2008 at 1:03 PM

Harps number 1 for me but you no how will post here soon and bich about harper and praise shay given it is of cource macca

• 9 geordie in taipei // Apr 1, 2008 at 1:11 PM

I reckon Harper should be allowed to keep that jersey as long as he is playing like he is – which is first rate as usual. He seems to get pushed out for Shay a lot, when to be honest – theres not a great deal to choose between them ! Go on Harps !

• 10 Egar // Apr 1, 2008 at 1:44 PM

Perhaps a keepers roster for 2 deserving keepers. Definitely revolutionary and worth a thought.

• 11 Tripp // Apr 1, 2008 at 4:35 PM

Spurs are nowhere near a top side. I agree with Spyro on this completely. They have been Jekyll and Hyde all season. Like us, their defense has been a liability. They’re offense has been scoring much more consistently and that’s what’s kept them where they are. Against very solid teams they will lose almost everytime because they can’t keep goals out. We should set our sites on 10th. Difficult to achieve, but not unrealistic. We should defo try to nip spurs, but given the hammers’ form I think we might be able to close the gap, esp considering we get a chance to take 3 point from them yet.

• 12 Punk Skunk // Apr 1, 2008 at 4:40 PM

Egar, yea i think the results do favor Harper mate…Just an observation!..& i’m pretty sure that if he’d played as many games as Shay we’d all remember as many great saves!..He made a couple of crucial ones on sunday, that’s for sure!..I’m just amazed that he can sit on the bench for literally years then get a chance & not let us down, that’s dedication to training & keeping his mind right, credit to the guy!..
    …Geordie Legend in the making!..

• 13 Macca // Apr 1, 2008 at 10:07 PM

Harper’s a good keeper, don’t get me wrong. But I think to a point the results are slightly coincidental, the first few games everyone was playing well and that reflected on the results, then the Sam rot kicked in and we all know what happened, we’ve lost some awful matches under Harper, especially of late, ya we’ve won 2, but he’s been in goals for a lot longer then that. I think our forwards and our mids have been good for the last 2 matches and because of them we’ve won. I don’t remember Harper having to make a save in our last 2 matches, except one I think. He’s good don’t get me wrong, but the results have been slightly coincidental and flattering.
    Fulham is well, Fulham and if we didn’t beat them I’d be very worried and Spurs were awful.
    The wins are good and confidence boosting but to read headings like..
    his “performance on Sunday was brilliant, fantastic,” now correct me if I’m wrong but I don’t remember him really touching the ball at all. It’s just hyped up crap, there’s been a lot of hype about Newcastle since we beat Fulham, here we are almost four days later and still talking about beating a bad Spurs side on the day. I’m sorry to say that but it’s true. A win is a win but lets not let it get taken out of context. It’s 2 wins in a poor season and we’re celebrating and acting like we’re in with a shout for European football. It’s great that we’re out of relegation danger at the moment but that’s what it is. I don’t want to be a downer but I’m just being realistic, we’re getting way too ahead of ourselves and I’m fearing that we’ll come crashing down to earth in our next game.

previous post: Emre Scores in Reserves 1-1 Draw