Coppell Praise For Keegan

Steve Coppell, Reading’s sage manager has talked warmly about Kevin Keegan, both as a former player and a manager.

steve-coppell.jpg

Steve Coppell – done wonders at Reading

Steve talked about Kevin and his team of the 1990s:

“His team from the 1990s was terrific, the way they had emphasis on attack and I’m sure that will be the same when he gets his feet under the table,”

“Everybody would want to see them to do well just to see what happens. Given the things he said before he came back, yes I am surprised he returned to Newcastle, but nothing should surprise you about football.”

“Kevin had his Soccer Circus and I thought he’d had his fill of football management, but he’s an exceptional individual and he has a great affiliation with Newcastle. I said a few weeks before he was the man for the job so I’m glad he got it.”

Steve Coppell’s praise for the former Newcastle manager also extends to his playing days, when Kevin and Steve were in the same England team together.

Steve continued:

“I played with him, but only in England games. I had a great opportunity to see him function as a human being and a top player at that time,”

“He was coming back from Germany (Hamburg), he was European Footballer of the Year and you could see why from his attitude and the way he conducted himself.”

“He wasn’t the most gifted player from a skill level but he had enormous drive. With England we’d have normal training and he’d stay behind with Peter Shilton and he’d be coming in when we’d finished lunch. Physically he was so strong.”

This game was looking like a relegation 6 pointer a few weeks back, but since then both teams have recorded some recent victories. Newcastle are in 12th place on 35 points and Reading are 15th on 32 points. Bolton are the 3rd bottom on 26 points, and look likely to be relegated, at least on their recent form.

But it should still be an exciting game and a good challenge for Newcastle. We are hoping for all 3 points tomorrow, and with 110 votes in for our poll on how we’ll do tomorrow 95% of Newcastle fans think we’ll win.

If you haven’t voted yet – please do.

Comments very welcome.

• Geordie Gerrard7

Apr 4, 2008 at 9:43 AM

steve coppell is a qaulity bloke, also was a class player, now a good manager.

• Nomis_jade

Apr 4, 2008 at 10:21 AM

Agree gerrard, coppell is a really good bloke. And like he says, keegan is too. Just a point on the last remaining fixtures. KK has said we must stay focased and push on for the remaining games. And i was thinking how hard it must be for a manager to stop his players from getting complacent. Especially ours who havent felt this good all season i doubt. However, i cant think of neone id rather see than kk trying to get it across to the players. He has been magic with the players attitude and moral this season.
    Hoping for a win tomorrow!

• Obafan

Apr 4, 2008 at 10:42 AM

I like Coppell and I hope that Reading will not relegate too, cause it is a nice club to have in the EPL. He is very honnest every time he speaks to the press. I also admire this guy cause he always remains calm (on the outside tho’ 😉 ).

KK has really impressed me the last games. In the beginning I had my thoughts on him and after the first 5 games I really saw no improvement only things that went from bad to worse. But now I think he has found his drive again to manage (let us hope he continues the good work).

• CRAIGG

Apr 4, 2008 at 1:11 PM

Coppell is a top football man, Class player and class manager not many could emulate the jobs he did at Crystal palace and Now Reading

• Leo

Apr 4, 2008 at 1:29 PM

is he trying to play mind games… hes a great manager, hes done well for reading, but please for the love of god someone at reading offer to do the post match interview, he almost sends me to sleep and miss the rest of match ofd the day

• reillers

Apr 5, 2008 at 12:51 PM

He’s a smart wee lad as well, not many coaches would get 2 of their top players from a club in Ireland. He’s smart enough to look though. He’s a genuine lad and a great manager.