Newcastle vs Reading – Match Preview

nufc-crest.png reading-fc-badge.png

We must have a great chance to make it 3 wins in a row, for the first time this season, when Newcastle play Reading tomorrow afternoon.
After such a terrible and disappointing season Newcastle United now has the chance of finishing the season on a high. We have two wins on the trot right now, and the mood on Tyneside will be further elevated by another win tomorrow.

If we can keep winning, the Newcastle faithful, bless their hearts, will start to think of next season and just how good we could be then, with four new excellent players coming in. And of course Kevin Keegan is in charge now. 😀

But we are getting ahead of ourselves, because we are still not clear of relegation and first things first. If we can beat Reading tomorrow, then that will surely make relegation fears a thing of the past.

We expect Keegan once again to name an unchanged side for the game tomorrow:

Harper
Beye Faye Taylor Enrique
Geremi Barton Butt
Martins Viduka Owen
Subs: Forster Diatta Smith N’Zogbia Carroll

Apparently Emre is still not fit for tomorrow’s game.

The interesting point with the team is who Kevin includes as the substitutes. At some point he needs to try out Senegal captain Lamine Diatta who has been performing very well in training. So we would expect Diatta to be introduced on the bench, probably in place of 20 year-old Canadian youngster David Edgar.

We also expect Charles N’Zogbia to be back on the bench in place of Damien Duff.

Since Reading are below us in the table and they beat us 2-1 at the Madejski last year, there’s every reason why we should win tomorrow. We expect Kevin to have the team ready to go and to try to put in another good attacking performance for the Newcastle faithful.

With any luck at all, we expect another win and all 3 points, which will finally relieve us of our relegation fears.

What do you think?

• Kieran hatten

Apr 4, 2008 at 2:31 PM

I watched the Reading game at the Madjeski Stadium… unfortually sitting with the reading fans….. I’ve been a supporter all my life and this was the first game i had ever seen as my father is in the RAF but i was disappointed with Newcastle’s display.. i hope from the results recently we can change the result and beat reading! Yes i think bringing Diatta on would be a great thing watched him play on the internet and looks like a class defender, though so is Edgar….!! difficult decision! COME ON TOON 3 POINTS!!

• dougnufc

Apr 4, 2008 at 2:35 PM

N’Zogbia is injured, says on the official website

• Egar

Apr 4, 2008 at 2:35 PM

Real interesting to see how 4-3-3 will be against a team like Reading. If the opposition manage to stiffle the flow, I’m sure our lads would have some inventiveness in them to come up tops.

• ronaldeano

Apr 4, 2008 at 2:36 PM

Ive said it again and again for ages….

We WONT be relegated…. NEVER… EVER!!!

We are not Sunderland.

They will always up and down from league to league because they are a Very small club, within a stinking shithole on the outskirts of Durham. They will NEVER be as big as us and neither will Chernobyl (boro). They are also skummy small time losers, not as minging as the mackems, but minging nevertheless!!!

4-0 the toon tomorow

Howay the lads!!!!! 🙂

• Rich

Apr 4, 2008 at 2:55 PM

Anyone else notice that Lawro’s predicted a toon win tomorrow? That should mean a resounding Reading victory then…

• ronaldeano

Apr 4, 2008 at 2:59 PM

Nufc will win tomorow, definately.

We can go even higher that Chernobyl because they have Manure. Hope Fullam get a result against the filth aswell!

• daiv

Apr 4, 2008 at 3:02 PM

Play SMITH and we will struggle.

• toonbully

Apr 4, 2008 at 3:09 PM

I would just like to see Carroll get on and play at some point before end of season . I have heard and read so much about him in the reserves . he sounds like raw talent , and he has the enthusiasm of youth untainted by the scent of money yet .

I think the playing of Owen in front of the diamond was ingenious and highly commendable for KK . I think 2-0 or 3-1 , I would just like to see a solid defensive performance also !

TOOOOOOONN!!!!!!!

• Obafan

Apr 4, 2008 at 3:13 PM

toonbully – Indeed I would also be very pleased if the defence could hold a clean sheet. Our strikers are in such a form that they will score in every game so holding the “0” will mean 3 massive points in the bag.

I go for 3-0 (Oba, Owen and Barton or Geremi) I’m optimistic I know but after the last couple of weeks we have seen something to be optimistic about 😉 .

• Rich

Apr 4, 2008 at 3:22 PM

The game’s ours if we can keep Reading’s widemen from taking advantage of our narrow midfield. Geremi, for one, does not have the pace to cover both the wing and the centre, so it’s going to require a colossal performance from Beye and Enrique. I think it’s going to be tighter than some people’s predictions.

• m.

Apr 4, 2008 at 3:37 PM

oba and owen will score.

• Whumpie

Apr 4, 2008 at 4:04 PM

I’m hoping KK will stick with this winning formula for at least two more games and play with it only as necessary to deal with injuries and players having bad days.

However, once we’ve hit that 40-point mark, I too would like to see some others brought in – albeit once we have games won – just to show the options we really have.

Carroll is one, but also some of this year’s new, young acquisitions like Kadar. These are the players who will provide our squad depth next season, and it’ll be good to get a taster of what’s in store.

As for tomorrow, I think it’ll be ugly, with plenty of chunks out of ankles, toys out of prams and cards out of pockets. But I also think we’ll win as long as our players don’t rise to the bait and get rattled or sent off. 3-1, I reckon.

• Viper

Apr 4, 2008 at 4:10 PM

I reckon 2-0!

So come on lads, that’ll do!

Don’t really care, but win by whatever, I’m there tomorrow cheering on!
    TOON TOON!!!! Yee ha!

• Markus

Apr 4, 2008 at 4:11 PM

1-0 off the bum of the centre half will do for me tomorrow. Once we have the points to stay up then Id like to see KK try a few youngsters to see if they can make the grade as 1st teamers or squad players. We cannot have a repeat of Carr at left back ever again.

• Tripp

Apr 4, 2008 at 4:18 PM

What the hell is a pram?

Yeah, I wouldn’t right Reading off. They play with a lot of character and can defo punch well above their weight. I’ll take 3 points, don’t care how we get ’em. I’d love to see a repeat of the Pomey-Reading 7-4 slug fest, with the Toon prevailing, of course. 😀

In addition to the 3 points we need to whittle down that shocking GA stat.

Howay the Toon!

• Bill F

Apr 4, 2008 at 4:20 PM

A big win would be so good, that goal difference is so embarrasing.

5-0 to the Toon.

• Bill F

Apr 4, 2008 at 4:22 PM

Tripp, it’s a baby carriage or do they call them baby buggies on your side of the pond.

• Callum

Apr 4, 2008 at 4:22 PM

Newcastle (from): Harper, Forster, Beye, Enrique, Taylor, Faye, Edgar, Butt, N’Zogbia, Duff, Barton, Geremi, Owen, Smith, Martins, Viduka, Carroll.

Diatta isnt in the squad again 😮

• Tripp

Apr 4, 2008 at 4:30 PM

Bill, we call ’em “strollers” though sometimes you hear “baby carriage” as well (though I think that’s an older expression that’s slowly dieing out). Thanks. I always love learning a bit of “English” English (yeah, I know it’s your language, but you know what I mean).

• Leo

Apr 4, 2008 at 4:43 PM

EMRE INJURED FOR AT LEAST 3 WEEKS

• Tripp

Apr 4, 2008 at 4:58 PM

I know how Emre feels. Seems I’m always injured. Can’t even just go ootside and juggle and work on footwork. It’s bloody aggravating. I used to slag off professional athletes (esp Gridiron players) for using all sorts of drugs to mask pain, but I can see the temptation… and I’m not getting paid ridiculous wages. I just wanna fookin’ play. And I’m only 35! Bloody rheumatioid arthritis. Don’t get it. It sucks.

• Reb

Apr 4, 2008 at 5:18 PM

For those who want to see Carroll played in matches once NUFC hit 40 pts — which striker to bench? I would think Viduka, as Carroll seems a more likely replacement for him to me. Carroll is very young, still a very raw talent, and he might have the pace and unpredictability to come on for Martins, I’m not comfortable with playing him in Owen’s stead — unless Newcastle are already up by three goals in the 85th minute. I was very happy to see the lad playing at that point, no pressure for him, just experience, and no worries about him playing in Owen’s new position as a quasi-midfielder (which is not, I would suspect, Carroll’s strength).

• Leo

Apr 4, 2008 at 5:29 PM

whats gridiron?

• Tripp

Apr 4, 2008 at 5:50 PM

American Football (I thought that’s what you lot called it).

• Tripp

Apr 4, 2008 at 5:53 PM

That’s sounds about right to me, Reb. I think we ought to rest the Duke as much as possible, while still extracting the maximum from him. If we’re in a comfortable position in the later stages of a match we ought to remove him to keep him healthy. Right now, it seems the replacement is Smudger but I’d like to see Carroll more and more, esp if we can ensure that we’re safe. It would be good for Carroll.

• geordie in taipei

Apr 4, 2008 at 5:55 PM

Its been a few games with 433 now, and we’ve been doing well with it, but i expect Reading to try and use our formation against us tomorrow. They’ll probs try and stifle the midfield and cut off the supply to the strikers. Mind i do think we’ll win…….but Reading gonna at least try to make it difficult.

• daiv

Apr 4, 2008 at 5:56 PM

Smudger for Hartlepool Reserves

• Tripp

Apr 4, 2008 at 6:04 PM

@Taipei
    yeah, that seems to be the consensus opinion.

@daiv
    indeed.

• Egar

Apr 4, 2008 at 10:27 PM

Remember reading somewhere that King Kev said he might be tempted to field even more strikers (probably in jest).

Sometimes that might just do the trick to overcome an overwhelming opposition midfield. When you can’t go through it, it’s worth trying going over it. Imagine having 2 target men (Viduka & Carroll) with 2 nippy sidekicks (Oba & Owen) lurking thereabout and cashing in the long balls. 4-3-3 or 4-2-4 or 4-4-2 whatever as long as there is presence of mind to vary & apply the style of play effectively will eventually render any opposition clueless.

• reillers

Apr 5, 2008 at 1:01 AM

Reading will be difficult. They can make it very difficult but if we take Hunt out of it in midfield, if we mark him tight along with whoever it is who’s starting up front, Doyle and Long or Kitson, we should be fine, they don’t have much of a defence.

• Thomas

Apr 5, 2008 at 3:54 AM

Does anyone know where to catch the match?? Is it available on sopcast?? Is it any good btw… i seem to have streaming problems most of the time..

• Toooooooooooooooooon

Apr 5, 2008 at 6:43 AM

confirm win…

• liam

Apr 5, 2008 at 8:16 AM

If we do make it a 3 in a row then we could be hot on tottenhams heels for an eleven place finish (by the way who are tottenham playing this weekend) i think westham has secured 10.

the day i think keegan will put out the same line up as the last two games prediction for today 3-1 come on the toon

• hanzemre

Apr 5, 2008 at 8:40 AM

go Toon go… a win of 3-0. Barton this time as well as MO & Martins as usual lethal scoring-machines.

• Spot The Zebra

Apr 5, 2008 at 11:56 AM

Rather than Diatta being given a shot id like to see Edgar coming on.Diatta is 33 now i believe so i expect him to have been a stop gap until the summer.
    David Edgar and Andy Carroll should be given the opportunity to impress in the remaining games if we win today.They both have the talent to play in the Premiership and i dont think there will be a better opportunity to blood youngsters than the remainder of this season once relegation fears are gone.
    Rght im off to the match now, 3-2 to the Toon !