The win today by Newcastle was even easier than the 3-0 scoreline would suggest, as they coasted home in the second half, after being 2-0 up at the interval.
Abdoulaye Faye – solid as a rock in defense today
Here are some observations on the game this afternoon.
- Newcastle again put in an excellent team performance and easily won this game by 3-0, but had they had a little bit of luck in the second half, the scoreline could have been much worse for Reading.
- Newcastle have now scored 9 goals in their last 3 games and are carving out chances galore. When you have Martins, Owen and Viduka up front, they are going to put away a good proportion of these chances, which is what they did today, and each one of them got a good individual goal.
- The defense was very solid again with David Edgar looking the part at center-back. It was only the first 10 minutes when Newcastle looked a little lackadaisical when they may have conceded a goal.
- To say this side looked a lot different from the team of 4-5 weeks ago is an understatement and today the difference between the sides was class, and Newcastle had it in abundance.
- Both full backs had strong games and Habib Beye had two assists this afternoon, as he put the balls across for both the Michael Owen and Mark Viduka goals.
Enrique continued to look the part and is improving with every game. If we do get another left back in the summer he’ll have to be good to dislodge this boy.
- Newcastle played good entertaining football and went for long periods stroking the ball around and getting themselves out of trouble at the back by some beautiful passing.
- The midfield 3 and the front 3 again played as if they had played this formation all season. Kevin’s really hit on how to get the best out of his players by playing them in a 4-3-3 formation with Michael Owen again having another good game just behind the front two.
- It’s really hard not to carried away if you are a Newcastle fan because the lads have played just fantastic football in the last 3 games, and sooner rather than later the press will catch to the fact that Kevin Keegan has got another excellent attacking team under construction on Tyneside. Â Â 😀
- Another great team performance from the lads, and they deserve every credit for another fine display and brilliant win.
- Oh yes, we almost forgot, we now have 38 points with 5 games and 15 points still to play for.
Comments very welcome.