Keegan’s Confidence in David Edgar Fully Rewarded

David Edgar, our 20-year-old Canadian arrived at St. James’ Park less than two hours before the kick-off on Saturday, still unsure if he would even win a place on the bench.

david-edgar-23.jpg

David Edgar – first start in a year and he did very well indeed

But Steven Taylor had a bad case of food poisoning on Saturday morning, and he was deservedly handed his first start in more than a year by Kevin Keegan.

David said it reminded him of his very first appearance at St. James’ Park last January against the mighty Manchester United.

“It felt like Man United all over again,” “I just came in the changing room not knowing if I was even making the bench.”

“Then I heard Tayls was ill and the gaffer just said, ‘You’re in and I’m confident in you’.” “That gave me real belief in myself.”

“I was nervous but excited at the same time and after a bit of a nervy start I relaxed and thought it went well.” “But, to be honest, I was buzzing just to be out there.”

“Unfortunately Tayls was unwell but that’s football and I just went out and gave it my best.” “The crowd was unbelievable and that’s the first time I’ve started in a win at St. James’ Park.”

“The boys are flying and it just shows the confidence there is at the moment.”

The Reserve team captain has been forced to be very patient this season, but he’s given a good account of himself in the Reserves and he certainly looked the part on Saturday, after the first 20 minutes or so, and took no chances whatsoever.

David continued:

“Days like that make it worthwhile but it has been a little bit frustrating waiting for my chance,” “But I’ve learnt a lot in the reserves over the past year and also training with the first-team under the new gaffer.”

“I have a picture with Kevin Keegan of when I was eight years old and on holiday here when he was manager the last time.” “It’s crazy to be playing under him but I’m so happy and loving it at the moment.”

David will be just one of our youngsters who will be pushing for a first team position next year, and he’s looked the part every time he’s played for the first team. Andy Carroll is another one who will only be better next season.

So it’s looking like the squad we have right now is a lot better than we’ve thought, now that Keegan seems to be getting the very best out of them.

Five new players in the summer will top off the squad, so we should be able to do very very well next season, in Kevin’s first full season in charge, the second time around.

• THELONGSHANKS

Apr 7, 2008 at 11:51 AM

Edgar came in and played very well,looks like a great player for the future.Hopefully he gets a couple of games before the end of the season along with carroll,diatta and some of the other lads.

• Stevie D

Apr 7, 2008 at 11:51 AM

He did OK considering he doesn’t have many games under his belt and only being a young’n. But against any opposition even slightly better than Reading and he would have cost us dearly with his over-head clearances that went miles in the air only to drop something like 5 metres away.

• joel

Apr 7, 2008 at 12:00 PM

please who ever is on this site, please can you do my polls on my website and maybe read the info i have written(tell when you have done it)

thanks

• MattyDread

Apr 7, 2008 at 12:01 PM

• doc

Apr 7, 2008 at 12:02 PM

Apart from the first 5 minutes and one poor clearance in the second half he did very well.

His passing from defence was very accurate which created some of our attacking play down the flanks he showed good strength in the air actually having the ability to head the ball to our players, something we have not seen a lot of even in the last 3 weeks.

Certainly one for the future and with more exposure he will only get better.

• Scott Hodge

Apr 7, 2008 at 12:07 PM

Edgar did very well as I expected he would. If he was given a run in the side till the end of the season I’m sure we’d see what he is capable of. I would like to see Taylor put on the bench now we’re safe, if any one has been guilty of costly errors this season its him. Its also time to give Carroll a run out instead of Smith !

• Bill F

Apr 7, 2008 at 12:08 PM

Thank goodness his early mistakes didn’t cost us or he may have been gettin stick from us now. Things like that do not necessarily make or break a players future but they can set them back. I would think it’s probably back to the reserves now for him anyway if Taylor is fit which would be a shame as I would like him to have a run in the team now along with some of the others knocking on the door.

• Nick Dryden

Apr 7, 2008 at 12:15 PM

Ed I’ve been saying for ages this guy EDGAR is the real deal. Far, far better footballer than Taylor.

• joel

Apr 7, 2008 at 12:35 PM

doc,matty dread,scott hodge,bill f,nick dryden
    please can you go on my site and do my polls and read some info on it (i made a newcastle united website) here it is

tell me what you think about it?

• doc

Apr 7, 2008 at 12:55 PM

joel

had a quick look, it looks good to me appearance wise I have not yet looked at the actual content though

nice one

• joel

Apr 7, 2008 at 12:56 PM

thanks doc

• Jesus of Nazareth

Apr 7, 2008 at 12:59 PM

Joel, you spelt supporters wrong on the banner.

• MattyDread

Apr 7, 2008 at 1:07 PM

Looks good Joel.

Can you add other pages?

Maybe you could add a gallery rather than having pictures dotted about sporadically ?

I like the video links but maybe they could have their own page too?

• joel

Apr 7, 2008 at 1:07 PM

thanks Jesus of Nazareth lol

• joel

Apr 7, 2008 at 1:09 PM

MattyDread-what do you what me too do on my blog?

• Bill F

Apr 7, 2008 at 1:13 PM

Joel, lots of stuff I have seen elsewhere. Looks good but to be honest I do not always read the content of Eds blog (sorry Ed) I see it as a really good forum for the cut and thrust of debate and exchange of views which is really all I want. A lot of the news and gossip comes from the postings by the more (sorry again Ed) professional sites.
    I do like the poll ideas but unless you come up with fresh angles on the news and gossip will not go to your site too often. Sorry if I sound a bit harsh and brutal.
    I will be happy to be proved wrong however and mine is only one opinion.

• Gordon

Apr 7, 2008 at 1:16 PM

On the contrary, I thought he was very shaky and he didn’t fill me with any confidence at all.

He had a solid enough gave at times but made Bramble-esque errors that would have cost us at least two goals against a better team.

Still have a lot of faith in the boy though…

• joel

Apr 7, 2008 at 1:16 PM

thanks for honestie Bill F (i will try improve it)

• MattyDread

Apr 7, 2008 at 1:29 PM

Joel I quite like how you take stories directly from other sites rather than adding lots of conjecture. I think to make that a more worthwhile undertaking you could possibly allow people to rate each article?..

• Scott Hodge

Apr 7, 2008 at 1:29 PM

Done them Joel, site looks good !!

• joel

Apr 7, 2008 at 1:59 PM

thanks scott hodge

• joel

Apr 7, 2008 at 2:01 PM

matty dread-you can write what you want on the site press the little enverlope on the site then write too my email wich i read every day.

• Obafan

Apr 7, 2008 at 2:02 PM

Well done Joel!! I just have not given my thoughts. First I have to work a bit and then I will do it defo. Your site is already listed in my favourites 😉 .

• joel

Apr 7, 2008 at 2:04 PM

thanks obafan–is there any news article you want me too get on there(anything about transfers?) you name it,ill put it on there.

• joel

Apr 7, 2008 at 2:21 PM

when anyone been on my site send a message on msn my email is : joelgledhill@hotmail.co.uk

• Bill F

Apr 7, 2008 at 2:30 PM

Joel, sorry to make another negative comment, but do use your spellchecker and your grammar checker. It’s OK for us bloggers to be sloppy in our posts but if you want to present a good webpage, errors should be minimal.
    I have done your polls and voted for Beye, Yes (we’ll win) and Gomis.

• joel

Apr 7, 2008 at 2:39 PM

cheers bill f

• CRAIGG

Apr 7, 2008 at 3:36 PM

To be fair to the kid he did ok

And that is being fair as he was reallly shaky at times but he hasnt played since last season for the first team and young players will make mistkes, I fail to see how that performance makes him better than Taylor though, along with Enrique, all are highely talented YOUNG defenders and will make mistakes the players in our back four who shouldnt make mistakes are Carr, Faye, Ramage, Cacapa, Beye (Who hardly has maybe Man City away) and all of which have made costly errors Beye and Faye less than the others.

Ramage probably would also come under the young category as well as he hasnt played as many times in the first team as the others in the above list.

• Leo

Apr 7, 2008 at 3:59 PM

tut tut tut joel advertisement aint free you know haha, ask ed he might put you a link in somewhere for a fee, the site needs it so you will be helping the cause

• Shanghaitoon

Apr 7, 2008 at 4:18 PM

@ Joel – Went to your site (good!) and voted in all your polls mate!!

• CRAIGG

Apr 7, 2008 at 4:29 PM

Joel ive been on your site and voted in all your polls looks a good site lad.

One tiny complaint in the favourite player poll i had to vote other as Jimmy Milner wasnt up in the options.