Beye Becoming Big Favorite at Newcastle

Habib Beye is certainly getting a lot of positive press this week following his great game against Reading on Saturday, where he turned in a tremendous performance at right back and was the best player on the field.

habib-beye-8739.jpg

Habib Beye – big favorite with Newcastle’s fans

Keegan again talked to the Evening Chronicle today about Habib:

“Habib Beye was my man of the match, just ahead of Joey Barton.” “I wouldn’t argue with Joey, because he was a terrific engine, driving us forward, but I thought Habib was absolutely outstanding.”

“You can’t play right-back any better than that in the system we had. He defended well, and he got forward well. I don’t think he gave the ball away.”

“I think he works superbly well with Geremi – those two were fantastic.”

Beye, like most of Sam’s buys this season, did not have the best of starts, as his first appearance for Newcastle was coming on during the defeat at Derby County, the only win Derby have managed all season.

Habib came on as a substitute for Stephen Taylor in the second half of that game, when Newcastle were just terrible.

Kevin Keegan continued:

“I think you can tell the fans are really taking to him because they can see that commitment.”

“There are a lot of things that get the crowd going here. One is exciting football, like the third goal against Reading on Saturday.”

“The other is a good tackle – and Habib Beye can certainly do that.”

There’s no doubt Habib Beye is now a big favorite with the Newcastle fans because they can see the lad’s 100% commitment. The fact that he’s playing so well for Keegan augers well for all of our squad for next season.

A good start next season with around 5 new players and we can do very well next season. Exactly where we can finish is debatable but a good win streak can get us up there again with the big boys.

Comments very welcome.

• Kenny678

Apr 8, 2008 at 2:13 PM

Sunday Monday Habib Beye,Tuesday Wednesday Habib Beye……….

• HeronMag

Apr 8, 2008 at 2:21 PM

A top class player. If Owen is out this is the man to wear the armband.

• ChrisL

Apr 8, 2008 at 2:24 PM

I don’t think we really need 5 new 1st team players next season. I’d be happy with about 3. We don’t have European football to cope with & I’d rather continue with a more settled squad & I have faith in the youngsters we have coming through now.
    I’m not even sure what three positions I’d like to improve?
    1. Swap Shola for a decent striker obviously.
    2. A left sided defender that can play full-back or centre-back (i.e. Everton’s Lescott)
    3. A right winger, allowing Milner to have a go at being an attacking central midfielder.

That would do me, I’d be happy with that for next season unless we lose anyone in the mean time.

• ObaFan2

Apr 8, 2008 at 2:25 PM

I personally think he’s been the best (most consistent) player of the season for us.

He has improved greatly especially with Geremi playing next to him and you could see the confidence oozing from him on Saturday and what a game he had. My motm too and again.

• Bill F

Apr 8, 2008 at 2:26 PM

Just love the way he bombs forward, scares the sh*t out of defenders. Wonder if he would be better in a Gerrard type role.

• ObaFan2

Apr 8, 2008 at 2:30 PM

ChrisL , central mid-field is where we are the weakest (along with one lb atm)

Butt, not getting any younger
    Barton, maybe won’t be available for much longer.
    Emre, missing…….

We have many wingers but few central midfielders and this needs strengthening along with centre-back and left back.

Any others would be a bonus.

• STE

Apr 8, 2008 at 2:36 PM

What a great signing, for the 1st time in a long time i see a quality, experienced right back who is willing to get forward.
    Seems a good bloke too!

• Eric

Apr 8, 2008 at 2:38 PM

Beye is obviously our first choice right back and rightly so. I can see Enrique improving too as he gains confidence in the Premier. We only need about 4 new faces – LB cover, a CM playmaker and another winger (depends whether Zog stays or not).

• ScottyT

Apr 8, 2008 at 2:39 PM

yep he was pure quality on saturday .. have to say though i thought jose enrique looked equally as good tbh. many times hed be in a situation where a reading player would have the ball and jose would just muscle him out of it with ease from somwer you would never have expected.

thought beye and enrique are starting to look the part at full back positions hopefully they can sustain it.

• ToonKing

Apr 8, 2008 at 2:41 PM

how he is keeping Carr out of the team is beyond me………… 😀 😀 😉

• ChrisL

Apr 8, 2008 at 2:46 PM

Hi ObaFan2,
    I understand what you’re saying about Butt, he’s probably got one full season left & then to be used more sparingly. But we already have Geremi/Faye who would both excel in that role.
    Obviously as I said, if someone leaves for some reason (Barton?/N’Zogbia?) then they need to be replaced.

With a Lescott type player (plays left or centre back) coming in & Carr going, I’ll be happy at the back too for next season.

I was also just wondering who the “many wingers” were? We’re fine on the left with Duff & N’Zogbia, but on the right we only have Milner (who can’t cross the ball). He needs competition. Geremi is doing a fine job as a right-sided central midfielder, but he sure isn’t a winger. For me I think of a winger as a player that will either steal a yard of space from his marker or just simply beat him with pace or skill then send in a decent cross. Geremi just doesn’t have the pace or skill to beat his marker like that & if he’s just going to steal a yard (like Beckham used to) then he’ll seriously need to work on his delivery.
    We need a right winger.

• ObaFan2

Apr 8, 2008 at 2:51 PM

Looking at the youngsters too ChrisL like maybe LuaLua who’s looked good when he’s had a chance.

Basically I think the whole of our mid-field have been the weakest this season, until the 4-3-3 that is and I understand players can play mid-field if neccesary but dedicated cm like Carrick or a fit Emre is the sort we need imo.

• Mr T

Apr 8, 2008 at 2:54 PM

Beye is class, I’ve thought he looked good all season, not least when he was going to eat all of the Blackburn team alive over a throw in!!! haha

ToonKing, how i laughed!!!

I like Beye loads, and Enrique an equal amount, I don’t wanna see any players come in, cos I don’t want these two ousting, to go with the “if it’s not broke, don’t fix it”. CB next season I wanna see Edgar pull on the first team shirt more often, in fact as I’ve said before why not put our kids out in the league cup and see how they do, give them some real competition.

Sam Allardyce can do something right, can we re-employ him on the money he’s on as a scout? Maybe get Souness to clean his boots? Sams bad, but Souness is a Massive Banker!!

• Obafan

Apr 8, 2008 at 2:55 PM

Again oh I was so happy if the news came that he signed a deal at NUFC the end of the deadline. I’ve said he would be in the to of the best transfers of the season in the EPL.

He really is awesome and indeed the role Geremi plays with Beye makes that they both feel each other perfectly. It makes them both play much beter.

• Leo

Apr 8, 2008 at 3:31 PM

he was a fan favourite at marsaille also wasnt he…

just a great player and a great person

• Stami - PLAY CARROLL

Apr 8, 2008 at 3:41 PM

Mr T… Lets win the League Cup before we go playing our youngsters in it! just a trophy hunting thought…!

as for Beye. absolut class! think if we can find another RB we should think about sticking him in a CDM role! he commands his space and that is a vital spot on the pitch!

• Mr T

Apr 8, 2008 at 3:49 PM

Stami, but it’s a worthless cup. Boro won it.

Need I say more…..

• micepie

Apr 8, 2008 at 3:57 PM

He’s the best rb I can remember at the Toon. Certainly tonnes better than Warren Barton under KK in the 90s!

• Rogerbigz

Apr 8, 2008 at 4:20 PM

We have a great RB already. Now,we still need other positions. I reckon these players will improve our squad greatly. But we need to have about 50million in the summer

LB-Shorey (Enrique cover)
    RB-Hunt (Beye cover)
    CB-Dunne (Alongside Faye)
    DM-Veloso (Replacement for Butt in future)
    AM-Nasri (This is what we are lacking of)
    W-McGeady (Competition for Duff Milner Zog)

Sell Ramage Carr Ameobi Emre Smith Rozehnal

• Vitorbarbosa

Apr 8, 2008 at 4:31 PM

I think they key to his success on the RB is his football intelligent. Linking up well with Geremi certainly helps a lot. I think both of them understand how football should be played and that’s why they can play as a unit. Some young players just don’t have the same mindset. They lack experience and low in composure.

We can have young players in the squad but not too many or else the whole system will collapse.

• Bobby Ollox

Apr 8, 2008 at 4:46 PM

Not sure we need a right winger – the boy Beye laid on two goals crossing from the right on Saturday – whatever you say about Milner, he can cause damage from that side , and if ened be Duff can alternate to unsettle the defense.
    It would be nice of course, but is not the priority. The Creative midfielder, threading passes through to our strikers is more important – oh God I wish Beardsley was 25 years younger..

• Andery

Apr 8, 2008 at 5:29 PM

sunday monday habib beye!!! 😀

• Bev

Apr 8, 2008 at 7:14 PM

I think Beye has been fantastic, but keegan better not praise him too much or one of the top four will nick him! Was thinking about the midfielders that we could sign (some more realistic than others):

Stewart Downing £8m to £10m
    Jimmy Bullard £4m to £6m
    Garreth Barry £6m to £9m
    David Bently £10m to £12m
    Arshavin £12m to £16m
    Carrick £16m to £18m

The first four are the most realistic in my opinion, I think SD and DB are the type of wingers kk is looking for and JB or GB would be a Nicky Butt type. Also:

A Viduka type striker (or just stick with Carroll)

An Excellent Central Defender as I’m still unsure of Taylor

Cover for left back (don’t know if young is the way to go as enrique is young anyway)

• Toooooooooooooooooon

Apr 9, 2008 at 3:53 AM

we need a good CB so faye can play as a DM. amd a good 25 year old big striker….

• cg

Apr 9, 2008 at 7:13 AM

Beye has been great.
    No whining, just up and at it again. Excellent!

• domtoon

Apr 9, 2008 at 11:57 PM

From nufc.co.uk:
    Beye
    “Sometimes we call to each other in French, too, as the opposition cannot understand what we are saying!”
    Haha sneeeeky