Fraser Forster Signs New Newcastle Contract

This is what we’ll be seeing a lot more at Newcastle United, our young up and coming stars signing new contracts at the club.

fraser-forster-2.gif

Fraser Forster – delighted to sign improved contract with Newcastle

Newcastle United’s goalkeeper Hexham born Fraser Forster has signed a new improved contract that will keep him at St. James’ Park until 2010.

The promising 20-year-old has been a regular for the Newcastle Reserves side this season, and has won lots of plaudits for his vastly improved form this season.

Speaking to Newcastle World TV, the 6ft 6ins goalkeeper told of his joy at securing his Newcastle future:

“I’m absolutely delighted to sign my new contract at a club as big as this.” “I’ve worked hard at my game over the past couple of years and I definitely feel an improvement.”

“It’s nice to hear other people say that I’m the club’s most improved player, but I know there’s still plenty of work to be done and I’m looking forward to doing that with the people at this club.”

And boss Kevin Keegan believes that Fraser can go onto challenge for an England Under-21 spot, as he believes the young goalkeeper is full of talent, as he told Newcastle World TV:

“Fraser has come on leaps and bounds and could become an outstanding goalkeeper,” “He has worked extremely hard and I was very keen to get him under contract.”

“We will look for him to continue his development here, and there is no reason why he can’t go on to represent his country at under-21 level.”

Fraser seems to still be growing and at the start of the season he was listed at 6’4″, well that seems to have increased by a couple of inches, as he’s now listed at 6’6″. He’s probably still growing even now, but his next challenge should be making the England Under-21 squad – he’s certainly good enough to do just that.

We also have 20 year-old Dutchman Tim Krul returning soon from his successful loan spell at Falkirk (he has an injured shoulder right now), so it will be interesting what happens to our two young goalkeepers next year.

We would expect one of them to go out on loan for a full season, probably to a Championship side, and one to stay at the club to be Newcastle’s third string goalkeeper next season.

Note – we see Chris Mort on the left and Dennis Wise on the right of the above photograph – but anybody know who the middle three are?

• Eric

Apr 8, 2008 at 10:26 AM

Hope this stops the media going on about NUFC on the look out for goalkeepers. Fraser is one for the future and one we must keep. Another local lad contracted to the ranks. Two northeastern keepers – that’s good!

• BigB

Apr 8, 2008 at 10:26 AM

i would say they are his parents and agent!!!

Hope it works out….young good goaltenders are hard to find.

• Zx

Apr 8, 2008 at 10:26 AM

Looks like Chris Mort has gained weight…

• Luke

Apr 8, 2008 at 10:47 AM

Looks like the Muppet Show…

• Leo

Apr 8, 2008 at 11:03 AM

mort looks massive, it must be a camera glitch unless ashley has told him why he is soo big.

ie- the girls love it, just love it.

we also have ole soderburg as well as krul

things look good in the goal for the future i say

• Andy H

Apr 8, 2008 at 11:08 AM

It will be interesting to see how he progresses because if Given and Harper have any weakness it would have to be the lack of height and an inability to command the area and take control with high balls into the box. The keepers in the league like Cech and Van der Sar make less spectacular saves but probably deny the other team a lot of chances by comfortably plucking decent crosses out of the air.

• Mr T

Apr 8, 2008 at 11:34 AM

I say sell Given while we can still get a price for him (makes good business sense) and keep Harper, Krul and Forster in the squad, maybe loan out Sodeberg?

I’m aware I’ll probs get jibbed for saying sell Given but he’s lost it since his injury for me. I know he’s done alot for the club and what not….. but so has Harper, I want Haps first choice!!!

“Englands, Number one,”

• Zx

Apr 8, 2008 at 12:53 PM

Given has suffered a drop in form. You have to give him a second chance. I’m sure he will bounce back.

• Mr T

Apr 8, 2008 at 1:03 PM

He could… but I don’t like his attitude where he assumes he should automatically be first choice, where Harper just wants whats best for the toon!

• Ausgeordie

Apr 8, 2008 at 2:01 PM

Harper has shown commitment above and beyond but Given has stuck with us too. However I don’t believe Given should be given a run out until Harps is either injured or goes on a bad run. They are not like the majority of players that can come on and show some form in 20 mins and if Harps gets shafted simply because Shay is fit it’d be a bit of a betrayal. We could get good cash for Given at this point (although I have no idea how long his contract is for….does anyone?) have Harps to lead the line and then get Forster and Krul in the mix. I dont think we should seek to sell shay because he is pure class but if offers come in we should listen. With that shocking injury seems to have come a drop in form and many goals have gone through his net. Maybe a less high pressure stage will give him his form back

• Bill F

Apr 8, 2008 at 2:17 PM

Harper is playing well and there is no reason to drop him other than injury. I still think Shays injuries may well preclude him from the rigours of EPL football. I would have thought his loyalty and service should have earned a backroom job on the coaching staff.
    I don’t think we need to be looking to sign GK’s in the Summer.

• patrick

Apr 8, 2008 at 4:21 PM

its his mum dad and brother, i went to school with him and played in the same school team til he signed for ncl. Hes a dead nice lad and has improved vastly since being signed up! Good luck to him

• lee

Apr 8, 2008 at 7:13 PM

is that ben stiller in the blue jumper