Lamine Diatta Hoping For Newcastle Stay

Lamine Diatta has a contract only through the end of this season and then Newcastle will need to decide whether they should extend the contract further.

lamine-diatta_701122.jpg

Lamine Diatta – wants to stay at the Tyneside club

In order for Newcastle to judge the Senegal captain we would think he has to have at least a couple of full games, but Kevin rightly is more concerned at the moment in stacking up as many wins as possible.

Indeed, when Stephen Taylor turned up on Saturday, he was quick to put young 20 year-old David Edgar in there, and he repaid the faith shown by Keegan, by a solid performance.

Of course Diatta is vastly experienced, and in the short 10 minutes or so he played on Saturday, he didn’t look at all out of place.

Diatta said today:

“It was my first game, and I was very happy to play. It was a very special atmosphere.”“The most important thing was the three points, and I was very happy for my team.”

“It was my first game in the Premier League, and it is a difficult league, but I believe I can help the team.”

Diatta is a close friend of Faye and fellow countryman Habib Beye, and that may even help him get an extended contract at the club, since both Beye and Faye are the best signings Big Sam made for us last summer. Also Lamine has played with both of them many times for Senegal, and he will know well how they both play.

Diatta added:

“I’m very happy at the club.” “I have been made very welcome by my team-mates.”“I’m enjoying the training, and I want to prove myself to the manager.”

“Habib Beye, my Senegal team-mate, has been a great help, as has Abdoulaye Faye.”

“They have told me what a great club this is, and I want to stay here with them.”

Lamine certainly seemed very positive with almost everything at the club, which is good. The first team squad has a couple of days off after their exertions on Saturday, but they will be back training tomorrow, ready for a tough game at Fratton Park on Saturday.

Another 3 points against Portsmouth and we should be mathematically safe from relegation and the mood on Tyneside will be elevated even more, in expectation of great times ahead.

• Davy C

Apr 8, 2008 at 2:32 PM

It’s a tough one. We don’t want a riduculously huge squad but we do want decent players in it.

Ten minutes is not enough to judge Diatta yet. Maybe Keegan will try him again. He was brought in to try and bolster the defence if things couldn’t get any better but he’s not desperately needed in that sense anymore. I think we should look to get a more experienced, Premiership proven defender.

I’m still not convinced about Taylor and Edgar made a couple of howlers that would have been punished by a slightly better team.

KK knows wht he’s doing though so I’ll happily leave him to it!!!!

• Eric

Apr 8, 2008 at 2:42 PM

Give Diatta time. KK will not make a bad decision. I think he has experience and rapport with Beye and Faye. And I think he can keep Taylor and Edgar on their toes. Where does that
    leave Cacapa? I would give Diatta another year on his contract. He gave off some good vibes for his short ten minutes.

• HeronMag

Apr 8, 2008 at 2:46 PM

You missed out Jose Enrique in Sam’s best signings there Ed.

For me he’s been excellent and is improving all the time. He’s not on Beye’s level but he’s been as good as Faye.

• Obafan

Apr 8, 2008 at 3:00 PM

If he is not played often than KK defo has given him a contract to see how things work out between Diatta and the other players. I also think his attitude has been very mature.

KK will make a decision IMO by watching his attitude (at training and with other players) cause KK will already be sure of his qualities, otherwise he would not have given him a contract!

He will stay IMO and that will be a good case. But we can not judge on him after just 8 minutes when the team was leading 3-0.

• dougnufc

Apr 8, 2008 at 3:05 PM

We are going for Metzelder, I would love it if he came

Tall, fast defender

• STE

Apr 8, 2008 at 3:10 PM

I don’t understand why there is any negativity about Taylor and Edgar. These two and rest of our young players can learn by these types of players! Terry played next to Desailly as an 18 year old! I not say that we have a Desailly as such, but Edgar and Taylor will only get better with experienced heads around them. We’ve spent millions on defences before and look where that got us;
    Bomsong
    Bramble
    Woodgate
    To name a few.
    And its just left fantastic goal keepers exposed!
    Yeah of course it’s nice to be linked with world class defenders and if we get them, great! But lets get these young lads learning and playing together and for each other!!!

• Cogsy

Apr 8, 2008 at 3:11 PM

I don’t think there is anything wrong with keeping him for another season.
    He looked strong for the short time he was on on sat and could play a part in next season if he continues to progress in the way enrique has.
    Think we’ll know by the end of the season if he can cut it

• sean

Apr 8, 2008 at 3:17 PM

how old is this guy anyway ????

• Tom_Toon

Apr 8, 2008 at 3:19 PM

Metzelder is world clas for 3 games a season………because hes injured for the rest of them!

• ToonKing

Apr 8, 2008 at 3:26 PM

sean i think he’s 32

• scott9

Apr 8, 2008 at 3:26 PM

ive heard about metzelder he would be an exellent signing if we sign 5 players i would hope they would be something like this
    metzelder
    bridge
    veloso
    deco
    gomis
    haha i now its a bit ambitous but as keegan says u never no in football

• RAHUL

Apr 8, 2008 at 3:33 PM

agree with tom_toon metzelder is world class, but injured far too often
    when fit one of the best central defenders in europe
    too bad what a waste of talent

• Cogsy

Apr 8, 2008 at 3:34 PM

ED- in the banner Keegan’s wearing a man city jacket. Get it off!

• Leo

Apr 8, 2008 at 3:35 PM

hes 31 i think, but he can do a job for us

i dont think he will start against pompey, if taylor isnt fit it will be edgar and faye because lamine doesnt need to be torn apart by pompeys pace in his first full game

he might get a game against the mackams with the arial threat of jones…

• scottish mag

Apr 8, 2008 at 3:51 PM

where is everyone hearing about metzelder

• Spot The Zebra

Apr 8, 2008 at 3:51 PM

Lamine Diatta was born July 2, 1975 which makes him 33 this summer.Bloody hell man.

• Hadji

Apr 8, 2008 at 4:02 PM

I hope we sell Smith in the summer and get Radamel Falcao as his replacement.

• Dirk

Apr 8, 2008 at 4:07 PM

off topic, but i was wondering ed if you could set up a player rater for us? like the bbc hav, i think it would be interesting to see how we all rate the players performance after each match.

• joel

Apr 8, 2008 at 4:17 PM

LISTEN!
    please can you go on my website blog and do my polls and read my info which i picked up from newspaper articles: this means anyone can go on my website ( the website is )

• joel

Apr 8, 2008 at 4:26 PM

when you done my blog you lot tell me what you think of it (hose who have done it , do it again theres new info and new polls to do.)

thanks

• joel

Apr 8, 2008 at 4:40 PM

obafan are you there

• Leo

Apr 8, 2008 at 4:42 PM

JOEL I SAID BEFORE AND I WILL SAY IT AGAIN, ed has advertisement packages available, dont use his website as a mindless ad campaign for your own good. its not fair on eds good work, ofcourse unless he said you can, then i apologise.

• joel

Apr 8, 2008 at 4:48 PM

sorry LEO your right

• joel

Apr 8, 2008 at 4:50 PM

ED HARRISON can i speak too you now PLEASE ……. w/b

• Obafan

Apr 8, 2008 at 5:12 PM

Joel – I just answered your poll questions on your site.

Do you need me for something???

• Tom_Toon

Apr 8, 2008 at 5:15 PM

Boussoufa – Ed have you not seen the news (edit)

• ToonKing

Apr 8, 2008 at 5:31 PM

agree tom_toon if lennon can cut it so can Boussoufa, plus he has two legs instead of one.

• Sunderland are s***e

Apr 8, 2008 at 5:34 PM

bafetimbi gomis scored for st etienne at the weekend. well taken goal but i would have been suprised if he missed it.

• Obafan

Apr 8, 2008 at 5:44 PM

Not so convinced Boussoufa would be a great player in the EPL. He is not that powerful, but very skillful.

I just read on Belgian Teletekst that scouts of NUFC are following him a couple of weeks.

When he got substituted last Sunday, he was a bit angry, maybe he knew there were scouts in the stands for him 😉 .

• Spyro

Apr 8, 2008 at 5:47 PM

whats all this boussoufa talk, he is good but where did the news come from

• nate

Apr 8, 2008 at 5:49 PM

Who plays left back for Senegal? Perhaps we can get him and then have the entire Senegal defense as our defense, at least they would speak the same language and have experience together.

Just joking, sort of. 🙂

• Luke

Apr 8, 2008 at 5:53 PM

STE… woodgate… EH!?

when fit he was the most assured toon centreback I’ve ever seen, and we made a profit on him which has to tell you something. I was GUTTED tottenham took him ahead of us. Despite the poor game he had against us recently, the man is quality. But alas he’s also a smoggie!

• Tom_Toon

Apr 8, 2008 at 5:53 PM

For a couple of weeks!?!? Sounds like ikts got some substance rather than just speculation.

• Tom_Toon

Apr 8, 2008 at 5:58 PM

Newcastle United following the operations of Mbark Boussoufa emphatically The Anderlecht midfielder of state of English kwaliteitskrant The Daily Mail on the list of the English middenmoter.

The Moroccan international this season could not have indelible impression with Anderlecht and is not even a solid choice in the base. Nevertheless, the 23-year old Boussoufa still seen as a great talent and there are plenty of clubs ready to take him to lijven.

Apart from Newcastle, the former Ajacied also in the interest of Hamburger SV, RC Lens, Saint-Etienne, Olympique Marseille and his old employer Ajax. Volgens The Daily Mail is Newcastle echter het meest concreet. According to The Daily Mail is Newcastle However, the most concrete.

froma belgian website.

• Spyro

Apr 8, 2008 at 5:59 PM

hmm, how much will he cost, it is true wot people are saying though, he is a bit of a lightweight

• ToonKing

Apr 8, 2008 at 6:00 PM

@nate, senegal played 3 defenders at the ACN so no left back ….

• ToonKing

Apr 8, 2008 at 6:01 PM

hmmmm so this could actually happen…… we’ll just have to see how he does, he’s small and weak but fast and tricky, could work….

• ToonKing

Apr 8, 2008 at 6:02 PM

he wouldn’t cost to much, i guess we could get him for around 3-4 million.

• Tom_Toon

Apr 8, 2008 at 6:03 PM

Hes lightweight but less lightweight than lennon who hacks it!

• Spyro

Apr 8, 2008 at 6:11 PM

i suppose, i think we should try go for Chelsea Scott Sinclair, he has been great for Palace, has great dribbling and delivery