The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Taylor Likey to Return at Portsmouth

1:08 pm, Wednesday, April 9th, 2008 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 26 Comments

Good news today that Stephen Taylor has recovered from food poisoning, and will train with the rest of the Newcastle squad today.

steven_taylornufc_profile_2007.jpg

Stephen Taylor - England Under-21 captain back in training today

Stephen Taylor talked to the Evening Chronicle today:

“I don’t know why I got food poisoning as I did not eat anything I don’t usually have before a match.”

“I was too ill and weak to play on Saturday but I should be fine for Saturday and Portsmouth.’’

Taylor’s stand-in 20 year-old David Edgar did just fine against Reading on Saturday, especially when you take into account it was such a late call-up for the youngster.

If Taylor is fit and shows up well in training this week, we think he will probably return to the team, unless Kevin wants to give another run out to David, who obviously looks to have a bright future at the club.

But Kevin may also need to take a better look at Lamine Diatta at some time, to see if Newcastle should extend the Senegal captain’s contract during the summer.

But the most important criteria for Kevin, is to field a team that can win the game against Portsmouth, that’s the main thing.

Comments very welcome.

Tags: David Edgar · Newcastle News · Steven Taylor

26 responses so far ↓

• 1 Leo // Apr 9, 2008 at 1:10 PM

got to put edgar in again, play taylor against pompey when he has jus recovered from food poisening he will get embarressed, the only way i would play him is if he is FULLY fit!!!

• 2 Hadji // Apr 9, 2008 at 1:17 PM

Taylor…just stay in bed

• 3 Bill F // Apr 9, 2008 at 1:23 PM

Pity, I would like to see Edgar get a run in the side but it’s as I predicted several blogs ago.

Just hope he isn’t embarrased Leo, I really want us to beat Pompey.

• 4 Scott Hodge // Apr 9, 2008 at 1:41 PM

I dont see why Taylor should be an automatic choice the errors he’s made this season when Edgar has proved, in his annual home game, that he can do just as much as him and possibly a lot more !

• 5 joel // Apr 9, 2008 at 1:43 PM

Bill F – you know my website, i have downloaded something that lets you comment on my news articles,so i have slightly upgraded it, so when people write on it , i can get back to them speaking on the blog. But first i need too try get hold of Ed harrison so i can talk to him.

w/b

• 6 joel // Apr 9, 2008 at 1:52 PM

ed harrison are you online?

• 7 joel // Apr 9, 2008 at 1:53 PM

obafan are you online?

• 8 joel // Apr 9, 2008 at 1:54 PM

tom toon are you online?

• 9 joel // Apr 9, 2008 at 1:54 PM

bill f are you online?

• 10 Bill F // Apr 9, 2008 at 1:56 PM

Joel, if you go to the top of the page and click on “contact us” I believe his e-mail address is there. It is very easy to miss comments on the blog and I would think he has other stuff to do as well.

He probably has a life outside of it. :)

• 11 Davies // Apr 9, 2008 at 1:58 PM

I think Edgar deserves a bigger run than one match. He’s got a lot of quality and looks as though he will fight to the death to keep the goal line clear.

Taylor is good, but has made mistakes. Perhaps a couple of matches on the bench might encourage him to up his game.

It can only be a good thing to have the choice of two such hungry young centrebacks. It would appear that our notoriously leaky defence is starting to show signs of healing up. Good news really, whichever one of them plays. I’d like it to be Edgar though.

With Beye hitting seriously good form, both in defence and going forward, Faye being the stalwart that he is, Enrique now playing very well in pretty much every game, Diatta fighting for a place and Cacapa (available?), we would appear to be spoilt for choice. Let’s just hope they can hold their form.

• 12 Geordie Gerrard7 // Apr 9, 2008 at 2:03 PM

taylor should come straight back in, we need a consistant choice in the back four, we need the solid base to buil on. taylor is our best centre back at the club and with faye that is our best pairing, so we need to keep that

• 13 joel // Apr 9, 2008 at 2:05 PM

lol bill f

• 14 clinta // Apr 9, 2008 at 2:40 PM

good to see a replacement pic of big kev on the new banner ed.

he looks a lot happier these days to, possibly because he’s not in charge at man city ey?!

• 15 joel // Apr 9, 2008 at 2:45 PM

clinta – go on my newcastle web and do my polls and read my info and write a comment on the info. website — http://newcastleunitedforever.blogspot.com/

• 16 Aussie Toon // Apr 9, 2008 at 3:04 PM

Leave the team unchanged they are confident and flying. Lets take it up to Portsmouth because we know what they did to us in our backyard, taylor can have 15 minutes at the end once we are 2-0 up to get some gametime :)

• 17 joel // Apr 9, 2008 at 3:10 PM

bill f – i got hold of ed harrison and he said that i can publish my site on his site

• 18 joel // Apr 9, 2008 at 3:34 PM

Newcastle United Forever : everyone go on please ,nufc site,do polls and write comments, have fun!

• 19 joel // Apr 9, 2008 at 3:35 PM

soz i meant this site in joy everyone:

• 20 faustino // Apr 9, 2008 at 5:07 PM

The word is promote Joel… I can’t imagine Ed mean’t posting 11 times in one thread!

Diatta should get the start ahead of Edgar imo. Edgar looked a little Rabbit in the first half and we’re going to need experience and maturity from the off on Saturday to stand a chance.

• 21 Obafan // Apr 9, 2008 at 6:28 PM

I’m here Joel.

• 22 Obafan // Apr 9, 2008 at 6:30 PM

Why should Edgar lose his starting position? He did great last Saturday. Taylor has played lots of bad games this season, so why would Taylor take in his place automatically. Perhaps if Taylor is dropped a few games he will understand that he also has to fight for his spot in the team. That only can make him alert to work very hard. I think Taylor is a bit too sure of himself playing every time he is fit. That is why he is not producing his best level IMO.

• 23 CRAIGG // Apr 9, 2008 at 7:25 PM

I thougt Edgar was really dodgy(understandable) and Taylor the last few weeks has been getting back to his best so he would come back in for me.

One thing why does everyone think Edgar is a left back it drives me mad, He played there against Man Utd last season to cover injuries and played really well but he is a CB or a DM

• 24 irish_toon // Apr 9, 2008 at 8:32 PM

CRAIGG
    EDgar plays anywhere across the back four so technacly(srry 4 the spelling) he is a left back

• 25 Eric // Apr 10, 2008 at 8:56 AM

KK will not change a winning run team unless he really has to. Edgar in and Taylor on the bench. Better Diatta on the bench and Taylor recuperates for longer.

• 26 Scott Hodge // Apr 10, 2008 at 9:20 PM

Obviously I’d like to see Edgar get a bit of a run in the first team and why change a winning side ? The kid came to our club at 13 years old as a midfielder then was changed to CB. In the last 3 reserve home games he has played CB, RB and also a holding midfield role. Now we’re safe I see no reason why we cannot give Edgar, Carroll and Lua Lua some first team experience even if its just a bit part !!

previous post: Keegan Admits Going 4-3-3 Was Big Gamble