Alan Smith Confident About Next Season

Alan Smith feels there are exciting times ahead for Newcastle United, even though he has been unable to nail down a starting spot at Newcastle in the last few games.

alan-smithnewcastle_551032.jpg
Alan Smith – we’ll give it a go next season

But Smith seems to be as excited as the other players at the club, with the prospects for the future as he told the Evening Chronicle.

“We’ll have some stability next year,” “That’s what this club needs.”

“We will rebuild and have a good pre-season in the summer. We’ll bring some new players in, too.”

“After that we can see how far we can get and give it a good go next season.”

Alan’s right when he says the club needs stability, but hopefully we’ll get that, at least over the next 3 seasons (at least) with Kevin at the helm.

We expect also that Kevin can bring out the best in Smith. Kevin considers Smith only as a striker, but we also like Smith in the defensive midfield position, although he can be a bit of a liability there with the many fouls he commits.

But we expect Alan to be here next season, but just how he can force himself into the first team, we’re still not sure about that.

What do you think?

• Vitorbarbosa

Apr 11, 2008 at 11:34 AM

If he can get a spot in MU when he is free from injury but need to settle for bench in NUFC, that tells you the story where we will be.

:p

• Bjergvehn

Apr 11, 2008 at 11:34 AM

He’s a decent bench player.. .

• AZ

Apr 11, 2008 at 11:38 AM

He is a good player but has not had the best of times at NUFC so far. However I strongly beleive if anyone can get him playing again and scoring goals it is King Kev.

Smith has the right attitude and works damn hard for the team but lacks direction, get him back on track and I think we’ll have a good squad player.

He’s never going to score into double figures but can still add a lot to this team.

• THELONGSHANKS

Apr 11, 2008 at 11:47 AM

I think alan smiths biggest problem is he thinks hes mark viduka.When he was at leeds he use to run at players but now when he gets the ball he holds it up.Keegan has to get him back into facing goal and running off the last defender.Ferguson made him into a holding midfielder and hence ruined him.I know this is probably harsh but he isnt 6ft and shouldnt be considering himself a target man.He has pace so he should bloody use it.

• AlanSmithfan

Apr 11, 2008 at 11:47 AM

Alan smith is the best player at newcastle united!!! say whatever you guys want, but accept the truth, ALAN SMITH IS THE BEST!!!!!!!

• sirjasontoon

Apr 11, 2008 at 12:01 PM

I feel sorry for Smith you can’t knock his work rate and commitment but sadly I think he has lost it..I would rather have one of the reserve team play and get bedded in instead of Smith he is like a yellow card magnet..get rid.

• Mr T

Apr 11, 2008 at 12:12 PM

What a brown nose Cahunt!

• Eric

Apr 11, 2008 at 12:28 PM

Cannot quite get my head around Smith. He seems to want to play for us and gets stuck in, works well at it – but does not seem to get anywhere. Seems harsh to slag him off but if KK cannot get him firing anything but blanks then he will have to seek another team elsewhere. He needs to score.

• Davies

Apr 11, 2008 at 12:31 PM

Smith has had a lot of criticism this season, particularly from many of the names regularly seen posting on this site. I include myself in that number.

I won’t take my criticism back, but I do understand that many of Smith’s failings have come as a result of his being played out of position and poor support when he has been in his natural position.

I have been forced to take back my unkind comments about Sir Kicky Butt, because of the way he has played since the Birmingham match. It would be nice to think that Smith will be around long enough to make amends for his dire season and force me to take back my comments a second time. Go on Al, you can do it.

• broon ale

Apr 11, 2008 at 12:31 PM

him and duff out the door for me!

• sparetheman

Apr 11, 2008 at 12:34 PM

Never a midfielder for me. He should focus on regaining his form as a striker. I can only remember him putting one good performance for us this season and that was as a striker against Arsenal. Even then, I can’t see him breaking up the triad we have at the minute.

I’d let him go personally, but if Kev’s happy to let him rot in the reserves then so am I.

• Zx

Apr 11, 2008 at 12:45 PM

A player that gives his full commitment. He is in a bad run of form, its not his best season but do give him a break. He is trying to regain his best form.

I’ve seen endless criticism about him, kinda sick of those comments. I hope he will get his chance to prove his critics wrong.

• Davey

Apr 11, 2008 at 12:47 PM

i think hes a totaly waste of a player on the team – funny how weve won a few games playing with 11 instead of 10

• Zx

Apr 11, 2008 at 12:52 PM

Idiots who only know how to criticise…very helpful indeed.

• sparetheman

Apr 11, 2008 at 1:12 PM

It’s not really a question of being helpful, is it? This an internet blog site, and we’re only offering our honest opinions. It’s not like he’ll be reading this, so why should we be expected to offer constructive criticism of a player? There’s no point pretending he’s a good player if we don’t think he is.

• irish_al

Apr 11, 2008 at 1:13 PM

smith is not, has never been a striker, when at leeds he was a forward, he was never a very good player but in a similar way to we look at taylor, he had potential, he did well at leeds as they had viduka up front and smith balanced fairly well to kewell work on the left

hopefully after a good preseason next year we will find some use for him but im not sure he will fit into our likely formations

• Tom_Toon

Apr 11, 2008 at 1:13 PM

Hes a absolutely shocking player. release him.

• GM

Apr 11, 2008 at 1:16 PM

Dont think he gives anything to the team, anyone can run around for 90 mins and look as though they are trying…an end product is what is needed and he doesnt have one, there is no way he will get in the team up front especially as I think kk will go for at leat 1 more forward in the summer and I am praying that we buy at least 1 world class playmaker for the centre of midfield.

• Henry's Cat

Apr 11, 2008 at 1:17 PM

Hes crap – a total waste of space, he’s another spice boy but 10 years too late – utter utter useless cant pass a ball, cant score, can only kick people and whinge – yeah bog off back to man usa – if the mackems want him for £4m id snap roy keanes arms off never mind his hand.

• Lunghit

Apr 11, 2008 at 1:39 PM

I have to laugh when people say he`s never been a good player:-) He was outstanding for Leeds a couple of seasons. He`s just lost his way a bit through injuries and bad managment from Fat Sam. He`ll come good under the wings of the messiah;-)

• ChrisL

Apr 11, 2008 at 2:30 PM

Smith is a good player to have sat on your bench, he gives you effort & options. I’m not sure he’d be happy with a season sat on the bench though.

• nightfall

Apr 11, 2008 at 2:50 PM

face it, smith suck… he runs like a headless chicken, bullies the opponents and collects cards… is that sth we want? play our youngsters insted… ok..he was ok at leeds, but he hasn’t show anything in the last 3-4 seasons….man utd has a very good midfield and that’s the reason he LOOKED ok there (but that doesn’t mean he played ok)…

• Obafan

Apr 11, 2008 at 2:54 PM

SMith seems always to be willing to do the best, but for some strange fact he always plays very bad. He also has not scored in ?? games.

I would be pleased if he was gone by next season, cause we have better players who are held up by him. It would be better to give Carrol match time, but it always is Smith who gets on the field. When he comes on and I see he has to play in midfield I hold my breath, cause he is nowhere near a good midfield player.

• Leo

Apr 11, 2008 at 3:10 PM

at least he isnt talking about getting back into the team- guess he realises that he has no chance unless there are injuries which is the case

• sas1

Apr 11, 2008 at 6:52 PM

Smith is no midfield player, especially holding midfield, the only worse tackler in the league is Scholes, he just lunges into tackles. Doesn’t have the intelligence for that role.

His record is pretty poor up front, hasn’t scored in the league since about 2005, but he played under Big Sam’s Shambles up front. I’d give him another season to prove his worth with a bit of service. I can’t believe he has lost it completely, but I wouldn’t shed a tear to see him move on

• Toooooooooooooooooon