Edgar Hoping To Keep Place at Portsmouth

David Edgar was really pleased with his first start of the season against Reading last week, and is hoping his display will keep him in the starting 11 at Portsmouth tomorrow.

david-edgar-_656441.jpg

David Edgar – hoping to keep his place tomorrow

Edgar spoke to the Newcastle Evening Chronicle today:

“I’m not going to get carried away.” “I will just keep working hard and be ready if needed.”

“It was only an illness to Steven Taylor and not an injury, but I’ll wait and see.” “You always hope you’ve done enough to stay in the team.”

“I’ll be disappointed if I’m out but any player would be, you just have to keep working hard and be ready for the next game if needed.”

Keegan has used the games to give youngsters like Andy Carroll and Edgar a taste of action by introducing them late on in games as substitutes.

Edgar continued:

“The team is flying at the minute and we’re now going into every game with confidence.” “We’re about safe from relegation now, so we can use the last few games to build for next season.”

“Against Reading I felt safe behind the midfield three and in front of Steve Harper.” “It was a confident performance from everyone.”

“And it was also three wins in a row for United for the first time this season.”

And after smashing home his against Manchester United in front of a worldwide TV audience, the Canadian born player earned himself a two-year deal.

So David has one season left on his contract and that season is going to be a critical one for him.

David went on:

“The manager shook my hand after the game and said well done.” “I was very pleased that he was confident enough to play me.”

“I’ve got next season to go on my contract so it’s a big pre-season for me this summer and I will have to see if I play more here or go out on loan.”

“I just have to keep trying to make it difficult for the manager by playing well and working hard and, hopefully, I did that against Reading.”

We’re not sure if David will start tomorrow, or whether Kevin will bring back Steven Taylor – but if we had to say one way or the other, we’d probably plump for Steven to return.

What do you think?

• Egar

Apr 11, 2008 at 1:56 PM

Would be nice if Edgar gets some more action time even if as sub.

• Spyro

Apr 11, 2008 at 1:58 PM

i would like to see Edgar and Kazenga make a late appearance tomorrow

• AZ

Apr 11, 2008 at 2:04 PM

The lad did a great job against Reading, a little bit nervous in the 1st half but settled in the 2nd.

I’m not sure though if I would risk playing him tomorrow though, it may be better for David to get a few more home games under his belt and build his confidence.

Our youth academy has came on leaps and bounds in the past few years, and it looks like we have quite a few promising players.

• lets all laugh at sunderland

Apr 11, 2008 at 2:10 PM

it would be a risk with defoe playing any mistakes we make he will probably punish us so edgar isnt to be played in these games.

• AZ

Apr 11, 2008 at 2:18 PM

correct

• Eric

Apr 11, 2008 at 2:20 PM

Caution may be best. Edgar to get some more in at home before chancing against bruisers like Pompey. Taylor to return? Would like to see Edgar and Diatta and Lua Lua on the bench. We will need some resilience tomorrow but skill for skill I think we are the better side. But Pompey is a dump to go to. I think we can nick it if we keep our heads and outscore the “Rudecrappers” as we can.

• Egar

Apr 11, 2008 at 2:31 PM

The best place to learn is at hellhouse. After that, there’s nothing worse. Just got to be strong enough to pick up the pieces, work on the mistakes, keep the faith and be a better player for it.

• Gordon

Apr 11, 2008 at 2:34 PM

Too much of a risk – made two mistakes alone that should have lead to goals against Reading.

We don’t need to be throwing in a Titus-Bramble-alike right now who can look the part for 85 minutes only to have a crazy 5…

Maybe after some more points…

• Spyro

Apr 11, 2008 at 2:43 PM

no more a risk than taylor

• Gordon

Apr 11, 2008 at 2:48 PM

@sypro – agree to some extent, but he was REALLY shaky at times against Reading.

• Leo

Apr 11, 2008 at 2:50 PM

would be good if lua lua triosi carroll and edgar play some part against portsmouth, its a good match to give the young ones a go and if we loose we probably expected it, but the budding stars will get valuable experience.

• Obafan

Apr 11, 2008 at 2:50 PM

Indeed spyro the way Taylor played this season he can make a mistake avery second in the game. Edgar was nervous last week, which is normal, but he will have confidence now and he will appear calm at kick off.

I also would like to see more of Diatta tho’.

• ScottyT

Apr 11, 2008 at 3:17 PM

yes edgar played reasonably well vs reading but youve got to stick taylor back in there for tomorrow. no matter what you say taylor is a good player .. yes hes been poor this season but other seasons hes showed what he can do and in the last few games he like every1 has played well. also before any1 says it im not saying this cos hes a ‘local lad’ its from performances throughout his toon career so far.

• Gooderz

Apr 11, 2008 at 6:55 PM

Lua Lua won’t be on the bench tomorrow because he’s starting for the U18’s at midday.

• sas1

Apr 11, 2008 at 7:08 PM

If he’s gonna start another game this season, it has to be this one. Next the mackems, another away game, Chelsea, then Everton away.

Realistically, his next game is gonna be Coca Cola Cup next season if he doesn’t get a game tomorrow.

• Tripp

Apr 11, 2008 at 8:41 PM

Or we play him in the carling cup and against Stoke, Bristol City (assuming they don’t blow it), Wigan, etc either starting or as a 60 minute sub.

• Johann

Apr 12, 2008 at 1:07 PM

I´m not sure, I´m more for keeping the same defense as much as possible from the last game. They kept a clean sheet and I feel like Taylor has to accept losing his place this time around.

• Scott Hodge

Apr 14, 2008 at 1:49 PM

Edgar stabbed in the back as expected !!