Keegan Wants All Three Points At Portsmouth

Kevin Keegan knows there is still a lot to play for this season.

kevin-keegan-training.gif

Kevin Keegan – still 15 points to play for

Newcastle’s manager seems keen to make it four wins in succession, so we can continue to build the momentum which he hopes will carry over into next season.

Kevin talked to Newcastle World TV today about tomorrow’s game:

“There’s still a lot to play for this season,” “We’re just two points behind Spurs now and it would be great to catch them.”

“They have had a massive investment and a new coach who has been there longer than I’ve been here.” “So that is one target, the other is can we win four games on the trot?”

“To do that is fantastic in any division in the world, let alone the Premier League.” “That would set us up very nicely for derby match.

“But one step at a time, we’ve had three very good performances and we are certainly going in the right direction.”

It is going to be a very interesting game tomorrow, because there’s no doubt Harry Redknapp has built an excellent team down on the south coast. And they’ve been rewarded with an FA Cup final place in May, and must stand every chance of winning that game against Cardiff City.

The Portsmouth lads will be full of confidence and it will be a carnival-like atmosphere as the fans welcome back the team to Fratton Park for the first time since they qualified for the FA Cup Final.

But Newcastle are a good side now, and need to concentrate on the business at hand, and keep it tight at the back – unlike our last meeting with Pompey when they scored 3 goals in the first 11 minutes of the game at St. James’ Park in early November.

If we can keep it tight and play like we did at Spurs, we have a good chance of collecting all 3 points tomorrow. But it will not be an easy game for us, that’s for sure.

• AZ

Apr 11, 2008 at 12:06 PM

WE CAN BEAT POMPEY!!!

We have to be full steam ahead from start to finish though, Pompey have had a busy time lately and surely must be getting tired.
    I say stick to 4-3-3 and get about them!

I’m trying hard not to get carried away but I can’t help it!!! Does anyone know what the odds are on the toon to win every game from now until the end of the season?

• Steve K

Apr 11, 2008 at 12:10 PM

A draw here would be great. Once we don’t get beaten I’m happy.

Dreaming of the win though… which is what Kev has achieved for all us fans.

• ToonKing

Apr 11, 2008 at 12:15 PM

oh man it would be great if we could win this one, although i would be happy with a draw too, the one that matters is next week 😉

• Hadrian

Apr 11, 2008 at 12:20 PM

Getting battered infront of 52000 hurt 🙁

thank god we have keegan or we’d be going there for a draw .
    now were going there in the attempt to stuff one up them and get a bit pride back .

long live the king !

• Eric

Apr 11, 2008 at 12:20 PM

I voted we win this one. Not just out of hope. I think we can. Pompey are a resolute side but can be beaten. Up to the lads though, keep the grit, play together and show Redknapp why he could not get a sniff of the NUFC managers job.
    Defy anybody to say Pompey are better than us.
    They can keep this years cup final – we will have next years. Come on Cardiff!

• AZ

Apr 11, 2008 at 12:21 PM

True we must beat that bunch of interbred mongrels at all cost’s.

If we finish in the top half do we have a realistic chance of applying for the intertoto cup and getting accepted?

• Davies

Apr 11, 2008 at 12:23 PM

Agreed, a draw is a realistic aim, but I would hope the team aren’t thinking that way. If we can do it at White Hart Lane, maybe we can do it at Fratton Park.

It’s been a long time since we did it last though, and Pompey are in form.

I’d also be keen to see how Sunderland do this weekend. Their win last week was convincing and we really don’t want them building up a head of steam ahead of the upcoming derby.

• Matt Lacey

Apr 11, 2008 at 12:32 PM

Davies: I know Pompey have been winning lately but I wouldn’t say they’re in form – they got a bit lucky against West Brom and their match against West Ham wasn’t exciting to say the least. If we can keep them under pressure for 90 minutes I think the game could well be ours for the taking.

I don’t normally bet on my own team but Betfair have got 64/1 on Newcastle to win 3-0, worth 2 quid I thought!

• ken from jarrow

Apr 11, 2008 at 12:41 PM

We will win. We have been slowly improving every game and here comes a medioca test. Pompey play an attacking game and depend on their attack to put pressure on other teams. We now play the same way but with better players. When we start putting the pressure on and attack, Pompey will fold like Tottenham did

• sparetheman

Apr 11, 2008 at 12:41 PM

I can see there being a fair few goals in this one – we’ll need to keep Defoe quiet if we want to win. I’m not getting carried away personally, despite recent performances. It’s ridiculous to be talking about winning every game we have left, that won’t happen. I’d be happy with a draw here.

• scottish mag

Apr 11, 2008 at 12:41 PM

looks like we wont get moutinho or veloso manure are interested again, carlos queer…ez was at the sporting game last night keeping tabs on them

nd sparetheman i heard defoe wasnt playin due to family reasons or somethin

• Zx

Apr 11, 2008 at 12:47 PM

Are we deluded? I don’t think so…

• AZ

Apr 11, 2008 at 12:49 PM

His granny died this week and he was at the funeral during the west ham game, but I suspect Garfield (harry redknap) will want him to play against us tomorrow like….

• Spyro

Apr 11, 2008 at 12:59 PM

we cannot get into intertoto, europe is very much a target for next year, we could win this game but i will be happy with a draw, we have to keep our unbeaten run going for as long as possible.

• sparetheman

Apr 11, 2008 at 1:05 PM

“There are alot of criticism on Newcastle fans at Lee Ryder’s blog. Labeling us “deluded” after a run of 3 wins.

Are we deluded? I don’t think so…”

Look at the first comment on this article. I don’t know if it’s delusion, but certainly people get way too excited after a few wins.

• AZ

Apr 11, 2008 at 1:21 PM

Its not delusion it’s excitement and positive thinking.
    I’m not saying we will win every game till the end of the season, i’m just day dreaming and thinking WHAT IF.
    This is the most excitement the fans have had in a long time, and I say lets enjoy it and long may it last.

• Leo

Apr 11, 2008 at 3:06 PM

well its funny that nufc fans are deluded, and then you can take into case that the manchester fans were not in the newspapers when they were heckling giggs and booing him because they think he is past it,

when newcastle do it, its all in the papers etc…. its really anoying

• Bill F

Apr 11, 2008 at 3:12 PM

I asked a couple of weeks ago what the chances of us winning all of our remaining games and was called an idiot. Realistically we won’t but it would be bl*ody exciting going for it. What would be nice would be to end up with a positive goal difference. Probably would have not only to win all of our games but also score at least 3 more in each.
    There are some tough games so I think 9 or 10 points from them would be a good end to the season.

I think applications for the intertoto need to be have been filed by now so even if we finished high enough we couldn’t go for it.