Owen To Be Newcastle’s First Summmer Signing

Kevin Keegan believes he is close to persuading Michael Owen to extend his contract at Newcastle beyond next summer.

michael-owen-and-james.jpg

Michael Owen – consoled by James after his miss on Saturday

Kevin talked to the Newcastle Journal this morning about Michael Owen:

“I had a talk with him last week and I don’t see there’s any problem there,” “He wants to stay, I think. I think he’s enjoying his football. He enjoys it at Newcastle, there’s no doubt about it.”“All this people have said before that he’s not really committed, he’s proving that (his commitment) on the pitch and he hasn’t had the chance to do that here because of injuries.”

“People have probably a bit unfairly asked, is he totally committed?” I’m the best person to answer that and it’s yes with a capital ‘Y’.” “He’s totally taken over the dressing room with a couple of other players and said: ‘Let’s get this club where it should be.’ He’ll be our main signing next season. Regardless of who comes and how much they cost, Michael Owen signing for us will be our biggest signing.”

“Michael’s a great pro,” “I think he is enjoying it (the new role). You can tell by his demeanor and the way he’s playing. It’s shown another side to him which I’m sure he knew he had but I’m not sure everyone else realized.” “He’s a real team player and a real clever footballer. If you’ve got those qualities you can play anywhere but I think it’s the best position for him.”

Keegan does not expect the more withdrawn role, behind Mark Viduka and Obafemi Martins, to impact on Owen’s goalscoring record, which of course is Michael’s greatest value. Saturday was the first time Owen had played in the position without scoring, but went really close when David James got his head in the way of Michael’s volley from 5 yards, when a goal looked almost certain.

Kevin continued:

“I would expect Michael always, in an injury-free season, to be in the top two or three scorers in the Premiership,” “Because he’s clever he’s got to choose the right time to go and he does.”

“He’ll probably find as he gets older he’ll score more goals from less chances because that’s what happens as you get older. You don’t quite get as many chances but you do know what to do when you get there.”

“I think he can play that role for England as well if Fabio Capello chooses to do that. Maybe it’s just freshened him up a little bit. Maybe after a while we might decide he’s got to go back up front because of the players we’ve got available or the new players we bring in.”

It’s been really obvious that Kevin has been impressed with Michael both on and off the field since he arrived back at the club. It will help that Keegan played in much the same role as Michael, and Kevin will understand the difficulties Michael has had with his fame and injuries, having been through the same thing.

We don’t think there’s any doubt that Michael will sign for Newcastle and have an extended stay on Tyneside, and that his signing will be the first of many this summer.

• oli 4 da toon

Apr 14, 2008 at 11:01 AM

it would be good for us if owen extended his contract cos he is just gttin back to scoring and i cant wait to see him next season
    (if he’s here next season)

• Bill F

Apr 14, 2008 at 11:16 AM

Michael: Lucky b*stard.

James: Naah Harry told me to grow my hair that big.

• Egar

Apr 14, 2008 at 11:21 AM

Gr8.

• Egar

Apr 14, 2008 at 11:22 AM

Oba next please.

• Spyro

Apr 14, 2008 at 11:23 AM

Martins should be our biggest signing of the summer

• faustino

Apr 14, 2008 at 11:24 AM

KK:“He’s been scoring goals in a very poor team – or rather very poor performances, I should say. I don’t think anyone should worry about Michael Owen, he’s a prize asset for England.”

Errrrrr whoops! lol

• Spyro

Apr 14, 2008 at 11:24 AM

we should also aim to get taylor signed, unless he is still demanding ridiculous wages and in that case we should let him leave, no one is bigger than the club

• Spyro

Apr 14, 2008 at 11:25 AM

Thats EXACTLY what i was thinking when i read that Faustino lol

• Davies

Apr 14, 2008 at 12:05 PM

Good at both ends of the pitch in his new position. He seems to like it. Let’s hope Keegan’s right. I also agree that Martins should be pinned to a contract with0ut a buy out clause in it. He’s the future.

• true

Apr 14, 2008 at 12:07 PM

at over £100k per week i bet he took some persuading 🙂

MO is not daft he knows he cant comand that money anywhere else, still if he can score 20 goals next season then fair do’s

• Shaz

Apr 14, 2008 at 1:57 PM

owen must be mad if he signs another contract at Newcastle,i say run down the contract and then Rafa will def take him on a bosman.

• Shanghaitoon

Apr 14, 2008 at 2:27 PM

LOL at the photo of MO and David James, James height makes MO look like a little kid!!

Hope MO stays at the club and I’m sure he will. He’s just getting into his stride now that he’s shaken off the injuries

• Obafan

Apr 14, 2008 at 2:27 PM

For me Oba should also have a new deal without that stupid Sheppard buy out clause in it. Martins has got a great future and he likes to play in Newcastle.

For me Taylor can go, if he really thinks that he is that good; let him prove it at another club, cause I’m defo not convinced!

• Leo

Apr 14, 2008 at 5:01 PM

how come all the papers are saying his contract is up this summer…. i wish they would get the easy facts right, his contract is up next summer right?

• Reb

Apr 14, 2008 at 6:33 PM

Leo — the papers never get much right. The papers this morning said he’s 29 as well, that’s an easy fact to double-check but they still got it wrong. Owen signed a four year contract in 2005, which means it’s up in 2009.