The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

James Milner Back in Training

1:59 pm, Tuesday, April 15th, 2008 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 50 Comments

The 22-year-old Yorkshireman has been out for five weeks, after picking up an injury to his foot in the poor 3-0 defeat by Liverpool at Anfield on March 8th.

james-milner-321.jpg

James Milner - back in training again

That was the last game Keegan played in a 4-4-2 formation and switched to 4-3-3 in the following game at Birmingham, and Newcastle have since gone 5 games unbeaten, and collected a good 11 points in the process to get away from the relegation zone.

Keegan told the Evening Chronicle today:

“James Milner will start training over the next couple of days. He is a very fit young man so he will not need any games.”

“He has not missed that much, to be fair, but he’s naturally frustrated, and I don’t know anyone who is working as hard as him to get fit.”

Milner was probably Newcastle’s most consistent player under big Sam Allardyce, and he has had two excellent seasons on Tyneside, since he was almost sold to Aston Villa, in August, 2006.

But Keegan has already seen how good the youngster is, both with his skills and his work rate. It’s going to be interesting to see if James can force himself into th side although he should get chances as a sub in our last four important league games.

But he will join the list that includes Smith and Duff, of those trying to force their way back into the first team, before the end of the season. That will be difficult if Newcastle keep playing the way they have in these last 5 games, because they’ve been great, and so good to watch, and the players in the first team have no plans to give up their places, anytime soon.

Tags: Newcastle News

50 responses so far ↓

• 1 Leo // Apr 15, 2008 at 2:09 PM

well i wud still ask that he plays a game or two with the reserves to get himself fully ready for the full team. we dont utilise the reserve team enough for players getting back from injuries.

• 2 Jamezyboi // Apr 15, 2008 at 2:33 PM

no wonder we been winning if we went from 442 to 443 lol hes had an extra player on the pitch! Nah all seriousness watching them now is a joy, i think keegan has the right idea with 4-5 good first teamers we could challenge for top 6, no need to spend ridiculous.. i think zog 8 mill buy lennon or mcready, try get carrick (18million) sol campbell/dunne/other top defender who is experienced… and get ashton up top.. i personally think a 10million bit for ashley cole could tempt them hes under performing at chelski and wants to get back in the incredible cheryls good books!!

• 3 sparetheman // Apr 15, 2008 at 2:42 PM

He’s been training and playing nonstop for 2 years (with the Under 21 tournament last summer) until this injury – so it might be a blessing in disguise for him to have some time off. If he’s still about next season, I’ll be interested to see if he can push on and improve his game.

• 4 ObaFan2 // Apr 15, 2008 at 2:56 PM

No wonder we’ve been winning in a 4-4-3 formation :)

Good that Milner’s back and with luck KK will get him to improve his crossing.

• 5 irish_al // Apr 15, 2008 at 3:02 PM

i dont think the reserves have any games left, they could arrange a friendly behind closed doors, but thats more common when there are internationals being played

i’d look to bring him on from the bench

• 6 staffsmag // Apr 15, 2008 at 3:13 PM

Good that Milner is back as he was one of the bright lights during the reign of FSA. He will be OK for half an hour from the bench and I hope we keep him for next season!

• 7 Big Gaz // Apr 15, 2008 at 3:19 PM

I think it will be a little to late for Millner. Reading bloggs over the past couple of days I find it hard to think that people are thinking Millner could be on his way out of SJP.

Keegan is no fool and has already commented on what a great player Millner is. To lose him would be a very very big mistake. I also dont think Emre will be off either, or Ramage who I think is a great untillity player who like Taylor could do with a little improvmrnt, but wears his heart on his sleeve.

Out the door will be Carr, Edgar, Rozenhal, N’zog, Troisi, Shola.

In the door will be that lad from Dortmund (Please sign him up Kev), That lad from Russia, couple of hard cases at the back (poss Dunne) and a forward(Terry Henry would be nice)

• 8 Tom_Toon // Apr 15, 2008 at 3:32 PM

Lad from Dortmund? Sahin, Pienaar, Blaszsczkowski?

• 9 Big Gaz // Apr 15, 2008 at 3:37 PM

Noooo man. That lad whos name I can never remember or pronounce Mbark Boussoufa. The young Morrocan laddie man ! !

• 10 51times // Apr 15, 2008 at 3:46 PM

He’s not from Dortmund though.

• 11 THELONGSHANKS // Apr 15, 2008 at 3:46 PM

He plays in belgium,hope we beat the scum this sunday and we can look forward to a big summer of signings hopefully.

• 12 Big Gaz // Apr 15, 2008 at 3:51 PM

My mistake lads. Thanks for correcting me. Just up off nightshift so brain still not in gear. hes from Anderlecht.

• 13 CJ // Apr 15, 2008 at 3:57 PM

I have just been reading KK may give new contracts to Ramage and Carr if that is true we will not progress without getting these less than average players out the club this summer. Ramage is so bad it is unreal and Carr has prob not played 15 good games for us and he has been here a while is over weight and a joke. Big Gaz how can you say show the door to Edgar and not Ramage, Edgar only has started 2 games for us and has been outsatanding when Ramage has now played a lot of games.I have been at the matche’s loads of times when Ramage has cost us many goals and nearly every fan i talk to in St Jame’s knows Ramage is a disgraceful excuse for a footballer NO talent what so ever and just look at his 2 motors it makes me sick.

• 14 Bill F // Apr 15, 2008 at 4:04 PM

I said a few blogs ago do not be surprised if KK keeps more players than we would expect. The only one I am confident he will let go is Shola.

Theres obviously something he sees in them that we don’t or he thinks he can get some extra mileage out of them.

The messiah works in mysterious ways.

• 15 Rem // Apr 15, 2008 at 4:26 PM

Id like sahin from dortmund! he is quality

• 16 Viper // Apr 15, 2008 at 4:28 PM

Christ. Lets hope he doesn’t give carr anything other than a guided route to the exit door.
    Ramage, canny, but therefore not good enough.
    Shola similar!
    Emre still undiceded. Another cracker against filth would be fab tho!

• 17 Tom_Toon // Apr 15, 2008 at 4:29 PM

Suarez from Ajax would be nice even though he is a huge diver.

• 18 Hadji // Apr 15, 2008 at 4:50 PM

Radomel Falcao from River Plate would be excellent replacement for Smith.

• 19 Marty // Apr 15, 2008 at 4:55 PM

TOM TOON;HE`S A HUGE DIVER???
    Most guys like to take a dive in “the box” if ya know what i mean ;-)

• 20 Tom_Toon // Apr 15, 2008 at 5:06 PM

Falcao would get beaten up, talk about lightweight, at least Suarez knows how to fight, he punched Luque a couple of times in the dressing room.

• 21 JP from The Rock of Gibraltar // Apr 15, 2008 at 5:09 PM

Why would we even think of selling Milner???? The kid is class. Yes I said kid as he’s still only 22!!!! Of course ha can improve his game and he will. He has to improve with us and not with another club as he will one day be awesome and come to haunt us. Some people have very short memories don’t any of you remember the blinder he scored against ManUre last season!!??

• 22 Ross // Apr 15, 2008 at 5:12 PM

as much as i dislike it, diving is a huge part of the game these days. everyone does it.
    it used to be just foreigners, but everyones at it these days, shame, but its true like.

• 23 Tom_Toon // Apr 15, 2008 at 5:17 PM

Suarez isnt a big a diver as Gerrard. God, i hate that scouse twat!

• 24 JP from The Rock of Gibraltar // Apr 15, 2008 at 5:18 PM

Players I would chuck out this summer would be;

Carr
    Ameobi
    Ramage
    Triosi
    N’Zogbia – If he still feels strongly about leaving.

Rozehnal – A decent defender with great reaction clearances but I did not like one bit how he started to talk crap about Newcastle once in Lazio.

Emre – I would sell if the price is right as the guy is always injured. (Dyer in disguise?) He is class but always on the treatment table.

• 25 Ross // Apr 15, 2008 at 5:30 PM

JP what did rozehnal say about us?

• 26 Big Gaz // Apr 15, 2008 at 5:36 PM

We are all speculating here. The only thing that is 100 % true is what Tom Toon says, that Gerard IS a twat ! ! !

• 27 Spyro // Apr 15, 2008 at 5:49 PM

Tom Tom you are right, Gerrard is always diving nowadays, but no one says anything because only a few years back media were saying he was the perfect example of a traditional english footballer, lol

statistically Lampard is better than Gerrard. Dont matter though, neither deserve to wear the England shirt, both are crap for their country.

• 28 JP from The Rock of Gibraltar // Apr 15, 2008 at 5:50 PM

ROSS- This is what Rozenhal had to say the bastard… “I am bitter. I was looking forward very much to coming to Newcastle after playing at Club Brugge and PSG.” “Now I am not sure if this looks like a dream spell. I did not expect I would be sitting on the bench.”

“Once I play as right-back, then left-back. Then in right midfield, or as a defensive midfielder.” “That is why I am so sad that I don’t play as much as I wish to. That is why I don’t feel as well as I felt in Brugge or in Paris. I will fight on.”

• 29 JP from The Rock of Gibraltar // Apr 15, 2008 at 5:51 PM

ROSS – He was making a hell of a lot of noise just because he was played out of position a couple of games, if I am not mistaken it was only 3 games!! He was also caught saying how good it is in Lazio.

• 30 Spyro // Apr 15, 2008 at 5:52 PM

all he was saying is that he was disappointed constantly playing out of position and being left on the bench, i dont get you lot, one minute you slate allardyce about playing players out of position, but when the player complains about it you dont like it? wtf!?

• 31 JP from The Rock of Gibraltar // Apr 15, 2008 at 5:55 PM

ROSS – Don’t get me wrong, the guy ain’t a bad defender and I originally was very impressed but he’s now lost a lot of points off me, I think we could do better. We don’t need another moaner in Roznehal, we’ve had way too many at this great club.

• 32 JP from The Rock of Gibraltar // Apr 15, 2008 at 6:02 PM

SPYRO- Players like Rozenhal (moaners) tend to be a waste of space, because all the do is cause problems (especially in the dressing room). At the end of the day they end up being sold because of inconsistancy or lack of ambition. Remember…

Robert-sold
    Luque -sold
    Distin-sold
    Domi- sold
    Bernard- sold and then came back that was a joke!
    Bellamy- sold
    Dyer-sold
    N’Zogbia and Rozenhal going in the same direction.

WE DON’T NEED ANY MORE MOANERS!! We need players that play with passion and pride and most of our team does now, thank God! :)

• 33 piman // Apr 15, 2008 at 6:09 PM

JP from The Rock of Gibraltar, as in the gateway to the med or the pub in Tynemouth?

• 34 JP from The Rock of Gibraltar // Apr 15, 2008 at 6:12 PM

As in the actual place, the gateway to the Med mate!..The city of Gibraltar lol I am one of few that support Newcastle United 100% from all the way down here! Get hell loads of stick bout it but I don’t give a f**k!

Ps. I tend to make my girlfriends NUFC fans also so the numbers are growing :D

• 35 piman // Apr 15, 2008 at 6:17 PM

haha nice one!

• 36 Obafan // Apr 15, 2008 at 6:19 PM

Good for Milner that he is back training, but I would not be diosappointed if he does not play anymore. I know he works hard, but I just don’t get it how you say that he has lots of talent. His biggest talents are dribbling himself and crossing the ball in the goalkeeper’s hands.

Ramage and Carr our 2 world class defenders ;-) . Well if I had to choose one of them to stay I would go for Carr. Ramage has got nothing; he can’t defend; can’t pass a ball; does not position well; … Carr played a few good games this season, but is also a lot injured.

• 37 piman // Apr 15, 2008 at 6:21 PM

I’m ex pat too living in Halifax, Yorkshire it feels just as far away! Anyway back to the footy, we gotta win on Saturday, i’m hoping for a convincing victory against the makems.

• 38 Obafan // Apr 15, 2008 at 6:24 PM

Can those who really want Boussoufa to come explain to me why they are so excited about him???

I live in Belgium (as you all know by now) and he is not that special. The last 5 games he played descent, but he never convinced at Anderlecht. His season in Gent was outstanding and you know why? They don’t care in Gent if they win or lose; they want to finish as high as possible, but the pressure is not that big. In Anderlecht fans and board expect so much (qualifying CL, win a couple of games in CL, win the title and the cup); the pressure is immense there and Boussoufa can not handle that pressure.

If he comes to NUFC, where fans (me too ;-) ) expect so much, he will have a very hard time and he will not produce the goods.

I do not say that he is bad, but he is too light for the EPL.

• 39 Stamford Toon // Apr 15, 2008 at 7:21 PM

I liked Roz, stylish, good control, good distribution and did reasonably well playing out of position. He has every right to say that he did not like playing out of position….it’s called free speech. It’s strange how some news reports are believed and others rubbished. KK should not move a player out because he doesn’t agree with everything that he says. KK should be mature enough to be able to talk it through with the player, man to man. I take it most of you have forgotten the good things that Roz said about the club…………..conveniently short memories. It was the same when Cacapa had a bad game, all the previous good games were forgotten and suddenly he was hated by most. You all expect players to show resect and loyalty for the club but many of you are not willing to show any respect or loyalty to the players. I bet Sir Bobby would have talked things through and shown greater patience and loyalty to his players.

• 40 obafemimartins // Apr 15, 2008 at 7:36 PM

these are qoutes by rozehnal but that might not be the whole interview. i am not defending him here but that may not be the whole story

• 41 Cisaro // Apr 15, 2008 at 7:41 PM

we need to keep Milner great squad player (right or left wing) but to me he’d make a better attacking right back; great engine up and down the line.

• 42 JJ // Apr 15, 2008 at 7:53 PM

Basically JP – you are saying dont buy French.

• 43 hanzemre // Apr 15, 2008 at 8:35 PM

Milner is going to improve his crosses & final passes or he’ll always dribbling to beat a few defenders before losing the ball. Hopefully KK can do his magics on him to make him an acute passer soon.
    Rozehnal for me if he coming back KK’d make him welcome & be at his best again & consistently. He deserves a 2nd chance if he himself wants to fight to earn his place in KK’s team next season. At least we knew he’s a good CB (great at 1 position) not like Alan Smith who won’t moan playing out position but gave nothing but poor/average performance.
    I strongly believe Obafan’s views on Boussoufa. NUFC can get some1 better than a go for this lad.

• 44 Bill F // Apr 15, 2008 at 8:54 PM

If Roz comes back it will probably like the return of the prodigal son. KK is very good at the charm aspect of management. Just look at him and Owen now.

• 45 DC Magpie // Apr 15, 2008 at 9:03 PM

Boussoufa said: “I’m flattered by Newcastle’s interest. It is always nice to know clubs are watching me.

“I spent two years with Chelsea, so I know what English football is all about. I learned a lot from their players, especially Gianfranco Zola.
    “I was on the point of breaking into their first team when Roman Abramovich arrived. He signed seven star players, and the youngsters were not given their chance.

“I would not say no to a good offer from England. If Newcastle want me they must first speak to my club – and then I’ll gladly listen to what they have to say.”

• 46 DC Magpie // Apr 15, 2008 at 9:04 PM

Save the Zog!

• 47 JP from The Rock of Gibraltar // Apr 15, 2008 at 11:36 PM

JJ- haha noooo it does seem I am sending out the wrong message. It just so happens we haven’t had too much success with French players. There is loads of talent in France and they are extremely talented, but maybe it is harder for them to adapt to the EPL, I believe they are a bit light-weight for the premiership. Some can bottle it others can’t sadly we get the latter.

• 48 JP from The Rock of Gibraltar // Apr 15, 2008 at 11:41 PM

I would love to see the Zog happy at Newcastle as the boy is class, and he is only just a kid after all, just like Milner and Taylor. We have some very promising youngsters that we must keep happy at the club and help them progress and mature into a world class player for Newcastle. If we sell either of them , which would be foolish, we will be punished and they will get their revenge on us as that usually happens. They have lots of years ahead of them to progress so we should keep all of our promising youngsters at the club, and happy :)

• 49 Ausgeordie // Apr 16, 2008 at 11:54 AM

Lets get SWP!!

• 50 obamagic // Apr 16, 2008 at 11:25 PM

I think Milner could play CM…he’s done that b4 for the U21’s and he did pretty well.

previous post: Keegan – Newcastle A Work In Progress