The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Taylor Praises Newcastle Faithful – Promises Goal

10:31 am, Tuesday, April 15th, 2008 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 18 Comments

Steven Taylor is looking forward to the derby game against Sunderland on Sunday and says he will score against Sunderland.

steven-taylor-6522.jpg

Steven Taylor - looking forward to derby game

The young 22 year-old center-back was born in Greenwich in 1986, but moved to Whitley Bay, when he was just two weeks old. Taylor offered to give his team-mates lessons in the importance of Tyne-Wear derbies but most of them played last November in a poor performance when Newcastle were lucky to get a 1-1 draw at the Stadium of Light.

Steven had a strong game on Saturday, and he is forming a very good partnership with big Abdoulaye Faye, who is playing the best he’s ever played this season.

Steven said:

“The fans deserve a little present from us. Definitely,” “We need to send them home happy, it’ll be a lift for the city as well.” “They’ve been very frustrated this season, because it’s been difficult, but they’ve stood behind us throughout.”

“They’ve never shut up when it comes to their support, they’ve been absolutely brilliant. A win against Sunderland would just top that off.” “I’ve promised I’m going to score again this season and it’s definitely going to happen on Sunday.”

“Once you cross that white line, the 11 playing will know what it means to the fans.” “We need to make sure we give them three points. I’ll definitely be telling the foreign lads what the Sunderland game means to the club, although I don’t think I’ll need to do that, to be fair.”

“They played in the other game at the Stadium of Light when, to be fair, we didn’t play to our best. Hopefully we’ll bring them to St James’s Park, play better and have a good day.”

Well, we might have to keep Steven to his word and have him score.   :D

But it’s going to be very important that we get back to our winning ways against Sunderland. We could have won at Fratton Park on Saturday, but didn’t, so we’ll have to make extra sure of the 3 points on Sunday.

Then we will be on track to potentially finish in the top half of the league after what has been a disastrous season.

Tags: Newcastle News · Steven Taylor

18 responses so far ↓

• 1 Whitey // Apr 15, 2008 at 10:42 AM

Don’t think i’ll be putting £50 on Taylor to score a goal!!!

• 2 Davies // Apr 15, 2008 at 10:46 AM

I like Steven Taylor, he seems like a nice lad and, aside from the occasional horrendous mistake, he’s got a lot of quality as a defender.

The only problem I really have with him is that he seems to like talking to the press too much.

The interview above is a nice and promising one, but I get annoyed when I read other articles that say he’s growing frustrated with the lack of contract talks, and that he says he’s getting pissed off with the management for their lack of commitment to him etc etc etc.

We all want the team to beat Sunderland Steven. Go and practice tucking your hands behind your back.

• 3 marcus owen // Apr 15, 2008 at 10:48 AM

Yes! we could have won against porstmouth if Taylor bicycle kick shot was on target. Does he ever play as a striker? i can see the shadow of alan shearer behind him.

• 4 HonoraryGeordie // Apr 15, 2008 at 10:48 AM

I think we should bankrupt the bookies by all putting a tenner on 3-1 Taylor to score last! why he did promise!

• 5 Guinea Mag // Apr 15, 2008 at 10:50 AM

Hope he scores; also hope he signs an extended contract with NUFC before seasons end!

He’s not the finished article but has a tremendous future in the game…..

• 6 Henry's Cat // Apr 15, 2008 at 10:54 AM

Taylor used to be a striker i remember reading somewhere so he’s not a lee clarke esque jigsaw when hes in the box!
    my cousin used to go to school with him and says he knew how to find the net – lets hope he does on sunday and we beat the unwashed windowlickers from down the road

• 7 AZ // Apr 15, 2008 at 11:54 AM

I like stevie and am a fan of his abilities, but I would prefer it if he concentrated on his defending and focus on stopping the scum scoring goals rather than scoring himself.

Yes it’s positive stuff that he said, but we have strikers to score the goals and defenders to stop them going in!

• 8 Ausgeordie // Apr 15, 2008 at 12:47 PM

Concentrate on defense buddy. If your thinking about a goal your not doing your job.

• 9 james partan // Apr 15, 2008 at 12:49 PM

i played against him at school and he played for heaton manor he was upfront then and scored 2 I think so maybe thats where he’s getting his goals from.

• 10 doc // Apr 15, 2008 at 12:57 PM

Davies I agree with you, he likes the press, I just wonder how much influence his agent (Dad) has on this, I assume he is trying to get him closer to our hearts so we dont mind when he whinges about not earning 45k a week !!!

A decent player but if we strengthen in central defence he for me would be the one to drop first

• 11 HH11 // Apr 15, 2008 at 1:34 PM

I heard he wants 30k a week, peanuts for a journalist of his calibre. As usual his ego takes precedent “I WILL score against Sunderland”. I give him credit though he must be fit carrying that big head of his around for 90 mins.

• 12 arctoa // Apr 15, 2008 at 1:46 PM

Taylor was a striker at school, I remember that much; and that’s what got him into the academy to start with.

Would be surprised to see him score, though. Hah.

• 13 Mitch H // Apr 15, 2008 at 2:54 PM

His “job”, when we have set-pieces & corners, is to get into the box & try to get a head on something.

Ausgeordie, its best to say nowt if you dont know what your talking about matey.

Why shouldnt Taylor talk to the press? I for one, want to hear what the lad has to say, & for that matter, what all our other players have to say for themselves as well.

He’s a Geordie, young, brave & with the talent to become a full international.

Regarding his contract, personally i think its the club thats out of order, he should have been tied up long ago, with a comparable wage to the likes of Charlie & Jimmy, coz from what i’ve been led to believe, he’s on peanuts in comparison with those two?

Get off the lads back man!

All you haters should find a new club, you aint Geordies, coz it aint the Geordie way to slag off our own, especially when they give there all for the cause, as Taylor always does?

Gotta say, a lot of people who post on here hav’nt gotta a clue about football, or the Toon. Most have probably never been to the Toon, never mind SJP.

If you have nothing positive to say about our club, probably best to just say nowt !!

Ho’way the Lads & keep the Faith !!

• 14 Leo // Apr 15, 2008 at 2:57 PM

i hope he does, however i think this is kidology trying to get the sunderland defence to mark him extra so that beye faye etc… can seek out the space and get chances.

• 15 Mr T // Apr 15, 2008 at 4:42 PM

kiddology indeed, good mind games! It’d be brilliant if he scores mind, I can remember when he scored his first against Celta Vigo and ran the entire touchline like he was five, he was so exstatic as was all of SJP I believe….. I know I was.

If he scores, that roof better be getting raised!!

He can say what he likes in the papers, he’s entitled to his opinion, and lord knows he deserves the money of us the paying fans more than N’Zogbia, who doesn’t even want to wear the shirt!! Can we sell him in a BOGOF deal with Smith?!

• 16 segment 4m Namibia // Apr 15, 2008 at 4:55 PM

eish taylor, i hope he wont score an own goal.. js saying.

• 17 Luke // Apr 15, 2008 at 6:24 PM

shut it taylor!

can’t he keep his mouth shut for just one week?

• 18 hanzemre // Apr 15, 2008 at 8:53 PM

he is doing fine amt. & can improve immensely in future alright but he’d just do his talking on the pitch giving great performances with no silly errors & not caught off position/guard that could cause us dear. Just keep our defense solid at the back & we’d be doing fine & winning games as we know our strike force can do their jobs & bang some goals.

previous post: Keegan Wants Some Good Youngsters Too