In-Form Owen Makes Capello Think Again

New England manager Fabio Capello says he has been impressed with the form of Newcastle United captain Michael Owen, having seen the striker score six goals in his last ten games.

michael-owen-321.jpg

Michael Owen – that’s my boy – he’s been Kevin’s top player

Not only that but Michael is playing in a new role

• tdt

Apr 16, 2008 at 12:06 PM

short…

• Davies

Apr 16, 2008 at 12:09 PM

Where’s the rest of the article Ed?

Of course Cappello has been forced to rethink his stance on Owen. He’s the highest scoring England striker currently available and he’s back on form.

It was only a matter of time really.

• steve

Apr 16, 2008 at 12:10 PM

when did Capello say that?

• Spyro

Apr 16, 2008 at 12:13 PM

i think Defoe has scored more

• Ausgeordie

Apr 16, 2008 at 12:22 PM

Good work Ed! Y0u know the hard core fans have read this already but your site gives us a place to comment on it.

I think Owen and Defoe would be a great team. I wish we got him in the summer thats for sure.

• Toon_Ksk

Apr 16, 2008 at 1:17 PM

wow this must be the shortest article till date…

• Leo

Apr 16, 2008 at 2:00 PM

no not the shortest, i remember one a couple months back that had been accidentally put in wrongly and was only a line long…

defoe probably gets my vote over owen at the moment, he is younger and deserves the chance, if anyone i would keep both them and have rooney playing AMF

• ToonKing

Apr 16, 2008 at 2:02 PM

finally an article suited for me ……a picture…… 🙂

• Reb

Apr 16, 2008 at 4:12 PM

Why all the stress on Defoe being younger? Michael Owen isn’t exactly old. He’s five months older than Steven Gerrard, and I don’t see a lot of people complaining that Gerrard is too old. Rio Ferdinand is older than Owen, but there’s nothing about him being too old. For God’s sake, lads, Owen is just 28. Defoe is 26 (I think) and thus he’s not likely to be around much longer than Owen.

Fair enough if you think Defoe is on better form, but the age argument is ridiculous. My problem with Defoe is that he’s had chances for England before, and never been anything but a huge disappointment for me. I’ve never been impressed by him, tbh, though he is doing well at Pompey. I’m MORE impressed by Owen’s new role at Newcastle though, and the fact is that Defoe (and other strikers) ought surely to know that it’s Owen’s job to lose, having 40 goals for his country before his 28th birthday.

• Ian

Apr 16, 2008 at 7:26 PM

Defoe is on fire so he should be first choice above Owen if they cannot both play.

However Michael Owen is going from strength to strength here and if he stays and continues to improve he may end up first choice. He seems to have regained some of his passion for the game, if he keeps improving his personality as he has over the last four months he is in danger of always smiling and becoming a popular celebrity not just a footballer. There is a big change in his manner, looks like the North East may suit him, I wonder if his family and friends have noticed the change in him.