Everything Keegan Said Has Come True

Newcastle manager Kevin Keegan has revealed that his side’s run of great form since their first win against Fulham has come as no surprise to him because the squad he inherited is full of quality, which he has consistently said.

kevin-keegan-6767.jpg

Keegan – initial reaction by fans – everything Kevin said has come true

Keegan has led Newcastle to a five-game unbeaten run and has escaped the relegation zone before the end of the season. After taking over at St James’ Park in January, Keegan always said he had the players good enough to move up the table. That is one reason he refused to bring in any players during January, which at times looked like a bad decision.

Keegan is now more confident than ever with his players and now believes there is no limit to what his side can achieve after confidence has been restored at the club. It’s even a little scary how well the team have played in the last 5 games, and it certainly brings back the great memories of his former time as manager at Newcastle.

Keegan talked to Sky Sports:

“It’s difficult sometimes when you have a run like we had at the start – and that run had gone on before I came, that’s why I was appointed,” “The confidence was low, but the confidence now is where you would like it to be.” “I don’t think anyone either inside the club or outside the area would question that we have got a quality squad.”

“That quality is now showing itself, whereas before, it was probably just not able to get out because of confidence.” “That’s a massive part of the game. You hear managers saying the same thing – ‘We are playing well, but we are not winning games and it is just chipping away at their confidence’.”

“You don’t say that because it sounds good or it gives you a reason or an excuse for losing matches, you say it because having been in the game a long time both as a player and as a manager, and you know yourself confidence breeds wins.” “It is just the way it goes.”

To be fair, Kevin’s been consistent all along. When he first came he said the confidence was down and a first win is all it would take. We were unlucky several times not to get the win, and if he had got an earlier win than we finally ground out against Fulham, you’ve got to believe things would have improved a lot sooner.

But they didn’t, and Kevin went 9 games without a win, but since that first win, we just haven’t looked back and everything Kevin said has since come true.

Keegan doesn’t always get the credit he deserves as a manager and coach, but we have the feeling that next season he will make Newcastle’s presence felt again in the Premier League.

Kevin Keegan and the rest of our club management is dedicated to that, and quite honestly we see no reason why he cannot be successful again at Newcastle, even more so than last time maybe – dare we say it. 😀

We now have Kevin back, a Billionaire Owner and a savvy young Chairman, what else is needed? Nothing – we think we have everything in place to succeed, and if that’s being too positive – so be it.

• Chris F

Apr 18, 2008 at 11:28 AM

what we need is 3 points against the unwashed on sunday 😉

• Grey

Apr 18, 2008 at 11:40 AM

3 points on sunday is a MUST! NUFC 3 -1 Unwashed (Martins, Owen, Beye!)

• tdt

Apr 18, 2008 at 11:42 AM

the exitement!

• Rich

Apr 18, 2008 at 11:44 AM

Exactle Ed – imagine a couple of years ago if someone said, we would have a billionaire owner and kevin Keegan back in charge, it would be unthinkable!! Its actually happened and the Keegan revolution will take off next year again i have no doubts. Over the next 3 years on Keegans contract i honestly believe that in the last year we will be back in the top 4!!This club will be great again, just give it time and gradually put it back on the map! 3 points on Sunday please!

• Eric

Apr 18, 2008 at 11:47 AM

We need to obliterate the mackems now. Why?
    Because their website claims they are the home of football in the northeast. Sick, sick! And what is more that Geordie born Chopra says he wants to score for the mackems against us on Sunday. Well lads rub his turncoat nose in it by defending him off the pitch. What a cheeky little traitor! Come on KK ignore Sunderland’s little k.

• Whumpie

Apr 18, 2008 at 11:53 AM

I bet Mort has already started negotiations to sell the film rights to the story of KK’s return…

Anyway, I think you’re right, ED – all the basics are just about there. But we have a way to go before all the cogs mesh properly. I think we’re right to be excited about next season – but let’s not forget that there WILL be slumps and bad runs. Even the Arse know all about that right now.

So let’s hope that next season we can get that last cog working: a Toon Army who support through thick and thin and never shout for heads just because results aren’t good for a while.

We ARE that 12th man, and we ARE a vital part of the club. We, the supporters, need to do a better job next season.

• Peter Hughes

Apr 18, 2008 at 11:56 AM

I don’t like the wa KK talks only about confidence. I am a BIG KK fan but confidence alone will not win you trophies. I hope we sign the ‘5 top class players’ in the summer Kevin has talked about and if we do i’m gonna really look forward to next season.

Toon Army 3 mackem bastids 1

• staffsmag

Apr 18, 2008 at 12:02 PM

Lets get out there and cane the SMB’s to within an inch of their sorry little lives !!!!! Keegan is the man that can do that and, with a bit of luck do it in style !!!! Howay the lads 2 – 0 to the toon.

• staffsmag

Apr 18, 2008 at 12:04 PM

Peter Hughes. Do you not think that the confidence is a big part ? I agree new players in in the summer but that coupled with the confidence we have at the moment ….. well it could be the season we were looking forward to this year – would you not agree ?

• Whumpie

Apr 18, 2008 at 12:10 PM

Have you seen the mackem version of the Fairy Liquid ad? It goes like this:

Little girl and mum are in the kitchen. Mum is washing up.

Little girl: “Mummy, why are your hands so soft?”
    Mum: “Because I’m twelve”.

Arf.

• Nick C

Apr 18, 2008 at 12:11 PM

I reckon the only concern is how much ashley is willing to invest. If he wants to get us back challenging at the right end of the table he needs to be willing to have a £40-£50M deficit this summer.

Chopra is an arrogant little turd. A couple of years ago I had words with him when he parked his Merc in a designated Parent and child bay at Asda in Gosforth. I had to walk from the other end of the carpark in the rain with my less than impressed 2 y.o. boy in tow cos of the little t*sser.

As luck would have it, he now lives just round the corner from me. Does anyone have any messages for him!??

• MattyDread

Apr 18, 2008 at 12:15 PM

I’m looking forward to a 5-0 humiliation of the Mackems.

HOWAY THE TOON!!

• staffsmag

Apr 18, 2008 at 12:16 PM

Whumpie – like it mate – lol

• Leo

Apr 18, 2008 at 2:09 PM

not long now, this last two weeks come sunday will have been awesome for me, became an uncle for the second time, birthday, beating the unwashed, the only downside is the impending hand in date for my dissertation, oh the tension

sunday is going to be awesome!

• Peter Hughes

Apr 18, 2008 at 2:32 PM

Can’t wait….so excited….

I’m so glad boring boring FSA isn’t in charge or we coulda been looking at this fixture with a great worry in our minds

• Peter Hughes

Apr 18, 2008 at 2:38 PM

i completely agree with you staffsmag…thats what i was saying…confidence alone won’t get us up there but if we sign class players and that coupled with the energy and enthusiasm KK will bring i think we can all now look forward to next year….f**k BFS and his 5 year plan….the tosser

• ScottyT

Apr 18, 2008 at 3:20 PM

what we need now is a win on sunday and some good exciting signings in the summer to take us up to the top 6 challengers. then we need to win a trophy and challenge for a c/l spot.. haha thts me dreaming again.

honestly though our luck in draws is unbelievable arsenal away we got drawn to in fa and league cup. last season chelsea home in league cup and screwed by a freekick that was moved. we need somthing like portsmouth got this season for a change (apart from man u away) lol.

• JP from The Rock of Gibraltar

Apr 18, 2008 at 7:36 PM

ScottyT- Yeah lol Cup draws always play against us..we are very unfortunate every time. Next year our luck will change you’ll see. Can’t wait for Sunday’s match against the stupid mackems! I have had a really big fight over my girlfriend because I haven’t stopped talking about it! 😛 Anyway it will be a tough one but I think we’ll win it by 2-1. I am hoping for another 4 goals but it looks unlikely, but with King Kev back in charge ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE 😀

• mitch

Apr 18, 2008 at 10:02 PM

Chopra a little tosser we should boo him as he will try his best to score against us he joined the unclean that in it self is enough to dis own him until he redeames himself just like clarkie did

• Lazy

Apr 18, 2008 at 11:42 PM

I have always loved Keegan.

To be honest, I didn’t want him when we first sacked Allardyce, but when they said they were going for Redknapp I was panicking, I really didn’t want him. Then there was some rumors we might get Deschamps and I was over the moon that we might be going for a manager that was up and coming and that might add a bit of passion to our squad. Then we hired Keegan…

…and MY GOD was I happy, common sense went out the window, the Messiah had returned and I KNEW we would turn into the Newcastle United that we used to know.

We lost our first few games under him, and while the plaudits and papers were saying “what a mistake”, I was quietly thinking “give him some time… please, give him some time” . Then suddenly we starting playing teams that I thought we stood half a chance against, and not only did we beat them, we give them a whooping and our football looked good – we weren’t going to places looking for a draw, we were going to places to win! – and my god that made a difference.

Our players; the players that I had lost faith in, for example Owen, they started playing well – not brilliant – but well, well enough for me to think “hang on, I’d like him to stay here”, and now it looks like we will be hanging on to him. Even players like Barton, which I was beginning to hate for his off the field antics that he couldn’t back up with decent performances, are now starting to look like footballers again.

That said, a couple of results have made us all feel sky high, but this game against the mackems could bring us all right back down to reality again.

This game has made me remember why I love football all over again and I’m absolutely bricking it about the result!

A lot of people say Keegan is a bad manager that hasn’t accomplished anything; that he’s walked out of clubs and bottled it, but anyone that has took the time to actually read about or remember what actually happened will realise that the man has never really failed at any club he’s been at. He may not have won the premier league, but he had a bloody good go.

I love Keegan and I wish him all the best here, he has my 100% backing (which, unfortunately I can’t promise from all of our supporters) and I hope we give the mackems a bloody good beating on Sunday.

I know that if Keegan gets to stay here for the length of his contract, and if Ashley gives him the money he has promised (which by the way, I don’t think he will – anyone else get that impression?), he will put an end to our dark days.

I’ll keep my fingers crossed all goes well, and I’m still dreaming about winning something in my lifetime!

• scotty

Apr 19, 2008 at 6:42 AM

I for one take my hat off to Chopra. It must have taken some bollocks to sign for the dark side. Due to the quality we’ve always had up front, he was never going to get a good run of games at Newcastle. However, that said – i predict the noise level tomorrow to be tremendous and i think we’ll totally over power them. 4 – 1 to the toon!!!

• Beastie

Apr 19, 2008 at 8:52 PM

Im over the moon, the feel gd factor is bk, the southern press have returned to there 52 faced ways he is crap then king kev is bk, a love it a was lucky enough to get me season ticket in 94 and saw what happened 1st time round, now ive got the same feelin i had then theres only sir bobby came close to anything like that, but king kev is bk and provin a lot of people wrong, a cant wait till nxt season, know a few people who were gonna sell there but for sum reason they arent now! lets jus take them apart the morra from the 1st whistle go at them al b happy with 5 or 6!!! haha ALL THE BEST KING KEV FOR NXT SEASON

Also like to say i think chris mort is handling himself brilliantly with the media, with it been his 1st season in football keep up the good work morty!!!