Kevin Keegan’s Fabulous Derby Record

Kevin Keegan has a great record in local derbies against Sunderland and Middlesbrough.

kevin-keegan-3939w.jpg

Kevin Keegan – no thoughts of defeat on Sunday

Keegan told the Evening Chronicle today:

“This is still a big game between two sides who are very much in form, although obviously Sunderland were beaten at home by Manchester City last Saturday.”

“And I cannot stress enough the importance of the game to my players and I am sure that they already know what is at stake.” “But if they don’t they will certainly get a shock on Sunday.”

Keegan has an amazing record in North-East derbies as Newcastle’s manager, having remained unbeaten in all of his 10 league matches.

Kevin has a 100% record against Sunderland with four victories out of four, and in six league matches against Middlesbrough his record is four wins and two draws. So 8 wins out of 10 in local derbies isn’t too bad is it?

Kevin continued:

“I cannot remember losing to them, and to tell the truth I don’t want to find out what losing to them means.”

“I know I had a decent enough record against Middlesbrough although I can remember losing a League Cup tie against them in what I think was the last match.”

Kevin certainly has the right attitude and that will again rub off oin his players for the game on Sunday. But Roy Keane is a great motivator too, and make no mistake, he will have the Sunderland players fully ready for the game.

We expect a very good game of football – but we also expect to get the 3 points – fairly easily if truth be told.

What do you think?

• wwe

Apr 18, 2008 at 1:12 PM

hoping 4 a win

• Graham

Apr 18, 2008 at 1:13 PM

Ed your confidence worries me a little. I always feel nervous before these games and tend to look on the pessimistic side; but 1 thing i am sure of is that it wont be fairly easy at all. Keane will have his players pumped up just as much as Keegan will and the form book is out of the window already.

Having said that, I still reckon we will have too much for them and will win 2-1.

• nikki

Apr 18, 2008 at 1:16 PM

kk will keep up his excellent derby record no problem, 3-0 i reckon

• DC Magpie

Apr 18, 2008 at 1:42 PM

Shame Carrick just re-signed with ManU. I was quietly confident he would be KK’s first big signing, similar to his purchase of Shearer, you know bringing the local lad home to galvanize the squad!

oh well…bring on Diego, Modric or Granero (c: (still dreaming I know)

• Howard

Apr 18, 2008 at 1:43 PM

Don’t tempt fate mate.
    Let’s hope we do get the win we are all praying for but it will probably be a lot tighter than you think. These games are usually close – our 4-1 away win being a an exception to the rule. I’d happilly take 1-0 right now and would be ecstatic if it was any more than that. At least we have a manager who knows what it means and is as desperate as we are for that win. Come on Kev!

• Leo

Apr 18, 2008 at 1:47 PM

i cant wait for the game, atmosphere is going to be wild!

• Frankieboy

Apr 18, 2008 at 2:15 PM

No doubt we were lucky to get point at their place but that was Allardyces players n allardyces tactics. Sunday will be allardyces players but KK’s tactics and motivation. All this with home advantage will give us the bragging rights I reckon tho it will be tight.
    A message for my Makem son Jamie who will be 22 on Tuesday…Enjoy the birthday boyo cos you aint gonna enjoy Sunday. See you Sunday tea time n let the flak begin.
    Anybody else in the position of enjoying see their son sad on 2 days every year ? Ha!!

• Toon Al

Apr 18, 2008 at 2:16 PM

jus saw wes brown has signed a new deal, was he really one of our targets? if so its a bit shit coz we need to restart a search as i dont think we’ll get calluer

• Toon Al

Apr 18, 2008 at 2:17 PM

carrick has too

• Ross

Apr 18, 2008 at 2:23 PM

frankieboy-considering you’ve got the right idea, it clearly must have been a freak act of god that forced your son to end up a mackem!? haha

• Micky Toon

Apr 18, 2008 at 2:28 PM

Frankieboy, I’m suprised you haven’t been done for child neglect and crulety to children letting you son grow up a mackem. Shame on you!

As for the score on Sunday. 3-2 to us, with us going behind twice and winning right at the end just to get the bum holes twitching.

• Frankieboy

Apr 18, 2008 at 2:45 PM

I can see where you are comonig from lads.Being a Makem made all those years of neglect seem like the good times to him, his only happy times ha.
    When he was younger ( 11-14) I used to pay for his season ticket.
    Enough of that, am starting to dislike myself. I will have his life on sunday.
    To be honest think there will inly be one goal in it but we will play them off the park as in previous games under KK.

• Obafan

Apr 18, 2008 at 2:45 PM

I’ve just read this article. That would be a good deal for … NUFC.

• Frankieboy

Apr 18, 2008 at 2:48 PM

Any bid would be welcome for the chubby Irish one…especially bid farewell

• frankieboyjnr

Apr 18, 2008 at 3:21 PM

i think frankie boy should pipe down FTM howay the lads!!!!

• shearer4pm

Apr 18, 2008 at 4:20 PM

haha that would help us get rid of him,
    and help us finish higher than everton next season haha

• obafemimartins

Apr 18, 2008 at 4:26 PM

doesnt make a difference he is out of contract so either way he is leaving. i would prefer him to go back to spurs and ruin them they seem to be bigger threat next season.

• ScottyT

Apr 18, 2008 at 4:26 PM

tbh glad brown has signed a new contract cos a dont rate him really. carrick on the otha hand i would have loved but we havnt rly got a chance when he is still an important player for man u.

• ScottyT

Apr 18, 2008 at 4:28 PM

obafemimartins – nice thought him going back to spurs but for some reason i dont think it will happen haha. just give him a wig though and he might be back to his old spurs days lol

• obafemimartins

Apr 18, 2008 at 4:54 PM

i have changed my mind about lassana diarra he would have been a good replacment for nicky butt. he might be a money grabber but he is a good footballer aswell

• wwe

Apr 18, 2008 at 4:58 PM

whats does tbh mean??????

• Leo

Apr 18, 2008 at 5:09 PM

tbh means to be honest….

hope thats made it more clear matey

• Faustino

Apr 18, 2008 at 5:35 PM

fao: Carrick lovers ….rumour is he’s signed or singing a new deal for five years today as well as Brown.

• Faustino

Apr 18, 2008 at 5:36 PM

Balls… re-post 🙂

• Geordie Gerrard7

Apr 18, 2008 at 6:53 PM

im glad brown got a new deal, he would have been a flop. cant wait for sunday 4-0

• The black in the blacknwhite

Apr 18, 2008 at 7:54 PM

just the the training pictures on Nufc.com- the players look happy- Owen looks motivated and animated in his shot – Martins looks intent!!! Viduka did look a bit tired but i hope thats because KK is runing him hard.

Our tempo has notched up a gear- we will beat the makems if we can show improvement on our tempo- as couls as it has developed already-
    I am sure KK is telling them pressure pressure – especially at St James

Howay the lads- am so serene these days- just feel so priveleged to be living again in the days of Keegan on the Tyne

Guys, i was even begining to wonder if those more competitve days under keegan 92-97 had happened such was our fall- but i feel were back

“there is unfinished business here”
    KK ’08

• bottlodog

Apr 18, 2008 at 8:05 PM

MickeyToon – that result would be perfect but I would need it as nailed on as possible otherwise I’m not going on Sunday

• Spyro

Apr 18, 2008 at 10:23 PM

I have lost ALL respect for Carrick, he hardly plays most of the season, then ferguson plays him a fair bit towards the end of the season and he falls for it, idiot! I hope Man U forget about Veloso now.