Beye Gives Jersey To Young Fan As Tribute

Habib Beye completed his first full Tyne Wear Derby game yesterday and was very happy with the 3 points.  So happy he made sure a young fan got his jersey after the game.

habib-beye-54.jpg

Habib Beye – another strong game for the Senegal star

A very happy Habib Beye talked to the Newcastle Evening Chronicle today:

“I was delighted to be part of that.” “To win 2-0, keep a clean sheet and beat Sunderland was a very good game for us.”“It was good for the crowd and everybody in the city.”

“It means everybody is happy because you know you can’t lose these games. It’s a big derby and it’s great for the whole club.”

Beye threw his jersey to a young child after the game and we was asked about this gesture:

“It was to say thank you to the crowd.” “I gave it to a little child and it’s important to do this sometimes.”

“We use 38 shirts each season, so it’s good to give one to a young fan.” “Once I’d given it away though I realised how cold the weather was in Newcastle!”

“But I enjoyed playing in this game so much.” “It was my first time and hopefully it isn’t the last time.” “It could have been more.” “The first half wasn’t that good but we scored two goals and I think it was a fair deal.”

“Sometimes you play well and you can’t score. And sometimes you play when you aren’t at your best and score twice.”

Beye was dumped into the sidelines by a Daryl Murphy challenge in the first half but Habib said he was expecting it to be tough yesterday:

“I expected that and sometimes it’s my job to do that as well.” “I try to get up and down the pitch.”

“I like to get chances but Michael Owen scored our goals on this day and he played very well.”

“Now we can look ahead to West Ham and aim to finish the season on a high.”

West Ham beat Derby County on Saturday and are still 5 points clear of us with a better goal difference.

So we’ll at least have to win the game at Upton Park and then win the games at home to Chelsea and away to Everton if we have any chance of catching the Hammers and finish in 10th position.

The games will not be easy and we’ll need to play better than we did yesterday in the second half.
But 9 points is still realistic giving the way the lads are playing.

• tdt

Apr 21, 2008 at 2:08 PM

toon toon! i think 9 points is a definate possibility, especially if chelski dont get any closer 2 manure, as they wont have anything to play for. everton r crap without cahill, west ham r crap full-stop. it’ll be interesting who gets relegated, brum r right back in it now… who do you guys think will gan doon?? 🙂

• Spyro

Apr 21, 2008 at 2:11 PM

We need to win the game at Upton Park to make sure our form is still on par with Chelski’s. If we host Chelsea on a high, with the crowd behind us then we can definitely get the three points.

Beye is a legend and best Full-Back we have signed in years

• ObaFan2

Apr 21, 2008 at 2:13 PM

Beye in my opinion has been our (most consistent) player of the season.

Most times the headlines goto the goal scorers and this season will probably be no different but I’d like to see him get the praise he deserves.

Not quite a Geordie yet though if he thinks it’s cold without a shirt on 😀 but he isn’t far from being one 🙂

• Spyro

Apr 21, 2008 at 2:14 PM

I think it all depends on how Bolton do against Tottenham, if they win then i think they will stay up, i want Birmingham down because they have the better players. It is so nice to be able to talk about the relegation situation without our name being mentioned 😀

• Davies

Apr 21, 2008 at 2:17 PM

Not that fussed now. I hope we do get another 9 points, but at least we know that we can’t be relegated now. I know it hasn’t been likely for a while, but it still came as a relief to secure the points yesterday.

I see Beye and Owen both managed to get themselves in that team of the week thingy.

By the way, we owe Chelsea a right hammering after they nicked the points at Stamfor Bridge this season. Their second goal was a mile offside. Wankers.

• Spyro

Apr 21, 2008 at 2:18 PM

If Beye was a couple years younger there would be tabloid after tabloid linking him to a top 4 or European club, he is easily second best right back in the premiership after Sagna. And that aint just my opinion, that is the opinion of most people i speak to down here. Apart from the odd Tottenham fan who likes to believe Hutton is the best RB in the premiership…stupid. i think that might have something to do with the fact that they paid near enough 10MILLION for him lol

• Eric

Apr 21, 2008 at 2:18 PM

I agree with Obafan2. Beye has been one of most consistent players. I think he has a great future at NUFC and will be our first choice RB for a while to come. He’s a nice bloke too by giving his shirt away like that. He is growing a geordie heart!

• JamJamJam

Apr 21, 2008 at 2:26 PM

I’d be tempted to give Beye the captaincy, he’s a consistent performer, was captain at marseille and seems to have gained the respect of everyone connected with the club

• Obafan

Apr 21, 2008 at 2:41 PM

2 words for this guy: PERFECT ATTITUDE.

He would be my captain too; he has got the passion; is very intelligent when talking to the press (very important) and he knows that the fans also need a good threatment. Imagine how this kid feels today. Perfect!!!!

I’m not saying MO is not a good captain, on the contrary. Habib indeed has a great future at St James….

• Spyro

Apr 21, 2008 at 2:46 PM

Fact is guys, you could probably pick out 4 or 5 captains out of our squad now, there are so many leaders in the team it is unbelievable. Nicky Butt, Michael Owen, Habib Beye, Geremi (would be a better leader now he is playing better), and i even think Faye has the attitude, quality and work rate to be a good captain.

• Whumpie

Apr 21, 2008 at 3:06 PM

I just love to see the players seeing for the first time why we’re all nuts about this club. As one of those fans whose link to Newcastle is a bit tenuous (went to college there for a bit) I love it when I see that ‘magvirus’ infect people like Beye.

He’s provided some real class down that right hand side, allowing Geremi all kinds of freedom across the middle and providing some fantastic runs and crosses.

Nice touch with the shirt, too – shows he’s really connecting with the fans and feeling it for real.

• ScottyT

Apr 21, 2008 at 3:12 PM

habib beye is class. simple.

his 100% committment in tackles and chasing back + his attacking runs up the right and his professionalism nd seems a canny lad as well just brilliant.

honestly imo if he was playing for any of the top 4 he’d be thought of as one of the best right backs in the world. one of me fav players along with harper for his loyalty.

• Punk Skunk

Apr 21, 2008 at 3:15 PM

Beye IS player of the season!..
    …What a gadj!..

…Right on Davies, we owe chavski ‘cos of that ref rip-off at their yard!..

• toonbarmy

Apr 21, 2008 at 5:06 PM

Beye is amazing, Taylor is improving every game, Faye is looking more confident and Enrique is starting to play well. Perhaps we don’t need to do as much work on the defense as we thought earlier on this season. Still need a new CB and LB as cover though.

• Leo

Apr 21, 2008 at 5:34 PM

see ya at kababish next week sometime matey haha. beye is a legend he is such an athlete.

• Punk Skunk

Apr 21, 2008 at 5:42 PM

Love to see players givin’ their shirts to kids after the game!..
    …Shows they have hearts!..
    …Probably made that kids day an’all?..

• nightfall

Apr 21, 2008 at 7:22 PM

i just hope he can persuade ribery or/and nasri to join him 🙂

• Punk Skunk

Apr 21, 2008 at 8:27 PM

Ribery would be amazing man!..
    …Who knows?..

• Ross

Apr 21, 2008 at 11:00 PM

punkskunk im sure it did make his day, if i was given the worn shirt of one of our best players i’d be over the moon at this age! haha. especially when he’d just helped hump the mackems in it!

• Reb

Apr 22, 2008 at 3:35 AM

No offense to anyone, but what’s the point in statements about giving Beye the captaincy? I didn’t get the impression it was up for grabs, so to speak. Unless Owen leaves in the summer (which I don’t think will happen) I expect Little MO to have the armband next season as well. Don’t get me wrong, I like Beye and rate him highly, but Owen’s done nothing to lose the armband. It seems an utterly academic argument.

Quick question — Did anyone notice if Owen give his shirt to Sunderland’s Danny Collins? Apparently in one paper it said that Collins was going to ask for it, as they’d played together as lads. The girls in the house wanted to know and I didn’t notice. I think they’re just wondering if they can find a picture of Owen with his shirt off. I’ve been informed that Michael Owen very rarely does this (changes shirts on the pitch). Who knew? Apparently, many women notice this trend and complain loudly about it. This is why you can’t talk football with most women. They ask things like “did Owen change shirts?” instead of noting that he made tidy passes and had an immense work-rate.

• clinta

Apr 22, 2008 at 10:41 AM

Hmm… I’ll have to keep a look out on ebay for that shirt than, a beye tyne-wear derby shirt should fetch a good price for the young lad!

nah just kidding, great to see a player like beye at the club, looking after the young fans, that’s what it’s suppose to be all about anyways right?!