Owen – Keegan Will Target Big Names

Michael Owen has talked many times about signing a new contract with Newcastle United, but today he divulged what some of Kevin Keegan’s plans are for the future.

michael-owen-2199.jpg

Michael Owen – says Keegan wants to target big names in the summer

Michael talked to the Newcastle Journal this morning:

“My contract is up next year but I’m very happy here. This is probably the most exciting time since I came to Newcastle.” “I couldn’t be happier with the new manager. I’ve enjoyed playing under him, and with the fans.”

“I’m probably in the best part of my Newcastle career so far, hoping there will be even better times ahead. I stated to the fans in my program notes that talks haven’t begun, and yet the manager has pulled me to one side and said he wants me to stay and that the club will be getting in touch with me soon to talk.”

“I haven’t spoken to the club yet. Obviously, I would think that maybe in the close season they will approach me and my adviser. It’s great times at the minute, but I’ve only played 15 or 20 games on the spin without getting injured.”

Then Michael mentioned the interesting part of what Keegan had to say to him when he continued:

“It’s lovely to be part of the club. When the manager spoke to me, he said he had big ambitions and was going to target big names.”

“He wants to get this club back to where it belongs, which is back challenging for European places and Champions League places. So the future is looking bright.”

That’s exactly where the fans want this club to be too, so it’s good to hear that.  But we wonder what Kevin means by big names because he has said the very top players will not come to Newcastle, but will go to the top 4 clubs.

We suppose it’s all about how big is big?

We”ll know the answer to that question fairly quickly, once the summer transfer season gets under way.

• wsq

Apr 21, 2008 at 11:10 AM

i dun tink he literally mean tbig names. i think he said quality or he meant quality by big. urgh.. u can’t analyse footballers’ speeches like politicians’

• THELONGSHANKS

Apr 21, 2008 at 11:22 AM

Does he mean big names like ‘agbonlahor’ or ‘schmeichel’ both have 10 letters. 🙂

• Vitorbarbosa

Apr 21, 2008 at 11:29 AM

lol

I think every player who is better than current players is big player.

• hanzemre

Apr 21, 2008 at 11:48 AM

yea could be 1 big giant like CF in his wish list.

• Eric

Apr 21, 2008 at 11:51 AM

Wright-Phillips is a long name. Does that count?

• Gooderz

Apr 21, 2008 at 11:57 AM

How about Eric Maxim Choupo-Moting considering we’re after young players.

• Ian

Apr 21, 2008 at 12:01 PM

I would rather see good players than big names, I would also rather see players trying to regain their reputations or get back in to the premiership than ‘top’ players from big clubs moving down for a big pay day, for instance I wouldnt be over thrilled about Rooney coming here (not that he is), Ronaldo I would-obviously, Tevez no, Torres yes, an on form player trying to go down in the history books as a top player fair enough, not quite sure who would be a big name that we would want to see here.

• Eric

Apr 21, 2008 at 12:10 PM

Hamburg have tied Choupo-Moting to a contract until 2011. They rate him and he is still only 18. Why cannot we get in quality players who will become big names with us? Most of the so-called big names are only so because the media says they are. All too often a big name goes with a big head (except for the likes of Owen, Shearer). How is it going Zog?

• Geordie Gerrard7

Apr 21, 2008 at 12:15 PM

i hope we get rid of zog, he will be a flop at another club, 8 million?? id rather we had wright phillips

• scottish mag

Apr 21, 2008 at 12:59 PM

see aiden mcgeady got pfa player and pfa young player of the year today, celtic are my second team behind newcastle ofcourse adn if he was to leave i would want it to be at nufc, great talent

• HonoraryGeordie

Apr 21, 2008 at 1:00 PM

big players hey?! how about Zigic and Crouch up front? with Tim Borowski and Jarosik in centre mid? can’t get much bigger than those four

• Tom_Toon

Apr 21, 2008 at 1:03 PM

Id like us to sign Gudjohnsen.

• Toon_Ksk

Apr 21, 2008 at 1:21 PM

HonoraryGeordie,
    How about adding Hageland(Fulham) to pair up with Faye. 🙂

I won’t mind having Gudjohnsen as well even though he is not very young.

• Leo

Apr 21, 2008 at 1:38 PM

wright philips is a big name, and his dad is a legend.

• Toon_Ksk

Apr 21, 2008 at 1:42 PM

I just read that Nakamura contract will expire at the end of the season. I hope we can get him. Excellent at set piece, a very good playmaker. At the same time, we can get more revenue from Japan.

• chuck

Apr 21, 2008 at 2:47 PM

They wont come! Bullshit! you pay them enough they will line up to come.
    Get off this inferiority complex about not being able to attract top talent, cause if thats the prevailing attitude , then just give it up right now.
    Listen, footballers are mercenaries, they will go anywhere for a fat paycheck and thats what it will take.
    Soh! its up to the boss, midtable mediocrity or the ride of a lifetime?

• Obafan

Apr 21, 2008 at 2:48 PM

I hope the first name they will go after is the Russian ARSHAVIN. He can play as RW or as CAM and is a fantastic player.

Second I hope we go after GOMIS; new Adebayor and a great future ahead of him.

Third we need a very good CDM; maybe Gattuso would be a very good player, but I doubt if we could get him.

Boussoufa; NO NO NO. Yesterday Anderlecht lost the title to Standard, the best team in Belgium, and Boussoufa was invisible. When he plays against a better side he does not produce the goods.

What do you think about Diatta?? I find it strange that they give him a 6 month contract, so he can play to earn a longer deal and then he does not get the chance to show what he can. He is not on the bench; I can’t follow there.

• Joe

Apr 21, 2008 at 4:27 PM

Kompany.

• seetow

Apr 21, 2008 at 4:33 PM

Alan Shearer. LOL

• Graeme

Apr 21, 2008 at 7:25 PM

Stop pissing about. Just buy Messi and Eto’o and a couple of other half decent players.

Whats the problem lol

• Jamie G

Apr 21, 2008 at 9:45 PM

riise, cuellar, lennon, mcgeady. no need for a striker, got 3 quality srikers and andy carroll as well.