Can Michael Score 3 At West Ham – Again?

Michael Owen has only one hat-trick for Newcastle United in the last three seasons.

michael-owen-8396.jpg

Michael Owen – scored his only hat-trick for Newcastle at Upton Park

That was back in December, 2005, when Graeme Souness managed the club, and Owen was partnered up front by Alan Shearer. We remember well how they tore apart the West Ham defense on that day and we won the game more easily than the 4-2 scoreline suggests.

But Michael is now preparing to return to Upton Park tomorrow, and he is scoring goals again with abandon, six goals in six games for the England star.

Michael spoke to Newcastle World TV this week:

“I remember the game was quite near my birthday and it was my first hat-trick for the club,” “In fact, that’s my one and only hat-trick.”

“I thought I was going to get another one against Sunderland last week when I had two at half-time, but the chance never really came.”

“It’s my first time back to Upton Park and obviously I wouldn’t mind a repeat of the last time because we won 4-2 as well.”

“We’re in a great run at the moment and we’re going into games not fearing anyone.” “We are confident and hopefully we can get at least a point at West Ham and maybe even the win.”

We need all 3 points at West Ham United tomorrow, that’s the first priority.

But if Michael can indeed get a hat-trick he will really be the man of the moment at Newcastle, although that’s exactly what he is right now with his important two goals that sealed our great win against rivals Sunderland last Sunday.

But Michael is in the form where it wouldn’t really be a big surprise if he netted three goals tomorrow.   But are we dreaming?  😀

• Callum

Apr 25, 2008 at 12:01 PM

Not dreaming at all, the way west ham are playing at the moment MO has a good chance of scoring 3 goals

• tdt

Apr 25, 2008 at 12:01 PM

hat-trick surely! ham have been total pants of late, scraping past derby wouldnt of done much for there “confidence” – wich seems to be the buzz word these days… i was always tought it business that “empowerment” is the modern thing, maybe the 2 are interchangable??

• Vitorbarbosa

Apr 25, 2008 at 12:03 PM

3 goals 3 points. What I want from them is just 3 points. Nothing less. I don’t hope a hat-trick from Owen, Oba and Viduka against West Ham. I just want a win, a comfortable win, regardless of who is scoring.

But would be nice, if someone can grab the headline for another good reason.

• OzZyMagpiE

Apr 25, 2008 at 12:09 PM

u kno wutz my realistic dream team for next season?

Given
    Enrique Garay Faye Beye

Beckham Barry Modric

Owen
    Duke/Gomis Martins

say wuteva u want abt beckham but i reckon even at his age he wud do 10 x the job geremi does n pass a whole lot betta..

Barry wud be immense coz hes really hardworkin but doubt we would get him.. one of u guyz said.. itz a way a club presents itself in attractin a player… 100% agree. cmon mort do some magic

• Rich

Apr 25, 2008 at 12:16 PM

I agree OzzyMagpie, Geremi has had a couple of assists recently but the rest of his play has been pisspoor, hes so slow and his passing is shocking! I hope Milner can get his crossing improved over the summer break, he would then be so much better as Geremi but as you say Beckham for a season wouldnt go a miss!

• ToonKing

Apr 25, 2008 at 12:19 PM

should win this fairly comfortably, even Hammers fan say so.

PS: Geremi’s passing is not shocking at all, his pace yes, but not his passing.

• Davies

Apr 25, 2008 at 12:21 PM

Or Bentley.

I don’t think Geremi’s done too badly of late. Remember, or three man midfield (four if you include Owen) has been dominating in the last six games.

• Harry

Apr 25, 2008 at 12:24 PM

Ozzy, I think you need to either A go back to school, or B pay more attention at school.
    You’re raping the English language with your lazy spelling.

• Spyro

Apr 25, 2008 at 12:25 PM

People who want us to sign players like Beckham need there head examining. It is clear to see from his recent England performances that he has nothing left to offer other than a decent cross. NOTHING!

As for Geremi, i just like the stat that ever game he has played in we haven’t lost or something.

• kagthemag

Apr 25, 2008 at 12:26 PM

hi i’m up in edinburgh this weekend for my mates 40th. Does anyone know any bar in the center that the game might be on? thanks in advance

• apan

Apr 25, 2008 at 12:27 PM

Beckham?

he can cross yeah but

slow
    cant defend
    cant tackle
    not creative enuff
    expensive

he would be our weak link in the midfield

• tdt

Apr 25, 2008 at 12:29 PM

kagthemag – i live in edinburgh. the Tron is a good bar, just off the royal mile, 2 mins from the train station and princes street. revolution on chamber street is good too, i also recommend biblos on chamber street (2 mins from the royal mile) 🙂

• JP from The Rock of Gibraltar

Apr 25, 2008 at 12:32 PM

His crossing is shocking!!! Very very poor! We desperately need a good crosser of the ball FFS! Ever since Solano left we’ve been missing that.

• tdt

Apr 25, 2008 at 12:33 PM

that cross for owens 4th min goal v the mackems… tell me who did that?

• OzZyMagpiE

Apr 25, 2008 at 12:34 PM

maybe spyro i still rate him though… btw owen martinz n duke thrive on ‘good’ crosses all da time…. it annoys me that butt is emualting scholes.(nothin against butt hez a great DM) Geremi .. for every 7 shockin passes he gets in one good ball.. we need vision badly. n honestly when itz a 0-0 drubbin game… e vision of beckham n e pace of martins is enuff to nick a goal. Get my drift?

• ToonKing

Apr 25, 2008 at 12:34 PM

his crosses from open play are not bad at all, you don’t have to look far back just at the Scum game. a stunning cross for Owen’s goal.

• Ausgeordie

Apr 25, 2008 at 1:01 PM

His last cross for owens goal was good but he is not much of a threat from corners and set pieces. We need someone more reliable. I like his commitment and if he can get some good passes going against the hammers he should get some assists. Can see Oba striking on the counter attack this weekend

• spyro

Apr 25, 2008 at 1:05 PM

yeah but ozzy, what sort of message are we sending out to other players if we pay beckhams obsurd wage demands just for his ONE FOOTED crossing? there are a number of players who can cross a ball amazing with both feet out there

• kagthemag

Apr 25, 2008 at 2:30 PM

TDT – thanks for the info mate 🙂 appreciated, there for my mates 40th so a win at west ham would help towards a great weekend in a great city!!

cheers
    Keith

• Newcastle United.

Apr 25, 2008 at 2:39 PM

Of course it can happen, We went away to Spurs and Pompey and ripped Spurs apart, Could and should of beat Portsmouth. I would like Owen to score a hat-trick, That would be nice. But as many people are saying, We don’t really mind who scores. Aslong as we win, and comfortably.

• Bobby Ollox

Apr 25, 2008 at 2:58 PM

He takes every corner, and they are apalling – he rarely gets it over the first man, and it just bounces out of danger time after time

I just dont know how he gets away with it .

and who says Milner cant cross – I remember some decent balls being whipped in last season – certainly no worse than Geremi.

• CRAIGG

Apr 25, 2008 at 3:01 PM

Spyro thats shite Solano hardly used his left foot but it never stopped his crossing and passing being top drawer

• CRAIGG

Apr 25, 2008 at 3:04 PM

I cant wait for the new Jimmy Milner next season fresh as a daisy, Crossing like Garrincha and capped for England.

Mark my Words.

• Leo

Apr 25, 2008 at 3:12 PM

smash the hammers give them further pay back for glenn roeder!!!!!!

if we win i will be singing all the way to the betting shop im putting a bet on which doesnt happen often, might put a tenna on newcastle win owen first goal… dno what the odds are tho

• Michael

Apr 25, 2008 at 4:17 PM

Possible. The guy is looking hungry for goals and finding good room to mave good runs. No doubt the difference between us getting a goal or not. I would hope he is able to do so and make a late push for a decent number of goals for the season considering the position from which we were.

• hanzemre