Keegan Wants Thierry Henry At Newcastle

There are reports today that Newcastle United’s Kevin Keegan may try to lure Thierry Henry to the Tyneside club.

thierry-henry-3.jpg

Thierry Henry – move to Newcastle?

There is a big report in the Sun today that Keegan has told owener mike Ashley he wants Henry at Newcastle. We think it’s probably true that Kevin could have said that, because he has waxed lyrical a few times about the former Arsenal player.

Apparently Henry is also missing his daughter, and has also talked about the Premier League, which he says he misses it a lot.

But his daughter is situated in London, and the player has talked to BBC’s Football Focus today and says that Arsenal is the only team in his heart.

The 30-year-old Barcelona player said:

“I’m happy here at Barcelona. I still have three years of my contract left with Barcelona,” “I don’t regret stuff in my life. Stuff happens for a reason. You don’t regret stuff that you thought about. I don’t regret it.”

“I’m happy – I don’t regret leaving Arsenal. But England…I watch every game that I see on TV. I will always miss it.” “There’s only one team in England for me. Everybody knows the love and affection I have for Arsenal. I was so into it, I became a fan.”

“There has been since I arrived here a lot of speculation from day one but, hey, go back where?” “There’s only one team for me in my heart. It took me a while to understand what that club, Arsenal, meant.”

We don’t think Arsene Wenger will be interested in Henry either, since he will surely unbalance the squad that Wenger has worked so hard to balance again, since Thierry left last summer.

Some London club are probably best positioned to get Henry, but you can never be absolutely certain about these things, and we think Newcastle will at least talk to the player to get his true position on a possible transfer deal.

But we’d be surprised if he moved to a club that cannot offer him European football next season.

• broon ale

Apr 25, 2008 at 11:17 AM

wont happen.

• James

Apr 25, 2008 at 11:20 AM

Mort said there will be no statement signings, so Henry won’t be an option for either party.

More importantly, check out the link on our recent form :

• Geordie Gerrard7

Apr 25, 2008 at 11:21 AM

i dont want him, i want modric, we have also been linked with huntelaar today

• tdt

Apr 25, 2008 at 11:26 AM

would be against the nu mentality, we will be looking for younger players now, i think. i can see exactly what Ashley and Mort will see. footballers are mega money making assets. this is simple. buy them cheap, train and grow them into worldclass players, win stuff with them as they imprive, then when they are a henry’s age, sell them for top prices. simple, what other busniess has stock which could be bought for free and sold for £25m? (Rooney was a prime example of this). this is why i dont think we will buy henry…

• toonhitman

Apr 25, 2008 at 11:28 AM

why.. waste of money hes 30 money would be better spent on some player that is younger

• Obafan

Apr 25, 2008 at 11:30 AM

I would prefer us to go after Gomis. He has got a great future in front of him. Okay Henry can always do something magic but he is not getting younger tho’.

I can’t see it happen.

• tdt

Apr 25, 2008 at 11:32 AM

i think that young italian (although being scottish i do hate the italians…) striker we have could be a good player, not heard much of him of late though?

• Ausgeordie

Apr 25, 2008 at 11:32 AM

He has said ars is the only club in his heart. I dont want him to come to us just cause of his back pocket. I’d love to see him back at ars!

• ChrisL

Apr 25, 2008 at 11:33 AM

“What do you think? Do we have any realistic chance of persuading him to move to Newcastle?”

• Kash2

Apr 25, 2008 at 11:35 AM

I think Huntelaar would be a better signing for the money. Plus we don’t need Henry when we can mould Martins into a better player!

• Chris F

Apr 25, 2008 at 11:36 AM

it’s rubbish, there’s no base to this story other than the flippant response keegan made to the question “who would be your dream signing?” when he gave that interview to radio newcastle in january.

henry would only go back to arsenal, and has said as much himself.

we’d have to pay a lot of money for him, and at his age, i don’t think it’d be a worthwhile investment from a business standpoint, which is why, in my eyes, it’s a non-starter.

• Eric

Apr 25, 2008 at 11:37 AM

Is KK serious? Think not. Media stories? Think most likely. Do not want or need him. He would unbalance the team and cost money to do it. Our future lies with other players – some of whom won us a trophy on Wednesday. Anyway if he has said he would only like to return to Arsenal it tells you more about his real outlook – he knows Barca will move him on eventually. Tell Henry we don’t need crocodile tears on the Tyne because we got Jimmy Nail’s shoes!! Roll on Saturday – Thierry you say you still watch the EPL, well get your eyeballs glued to Match of the Day and see what you’ll be missing.

• Geordie Gerrard7

Apr 25, 2008 at 11:39 AM

id love huntelaar and modric out of anyone in the world, but i would also love kranjcar.

a few weeks ago we were being linked with plays like jermaine beckford, hahaha, total utter tosh, i think we will get modric as two big figures in his life have begged him to join us, mamic and billic, i am someway now to forgiving bilic for giving me one of the worst possible summers, by dumping us out of the euros, to one of the best summers of helping us land lukkkaaaakkkaaa!!

• 51times

Apr 25, 2008 at 11:40 AM

Would be a bad move for the club imo. Also where have we been linked with Huntelaar? Doubt he’d come really.

• KKN39

Apr 25, 2008 at 11:41 AM

no more BS … even if he’s available for free his wage would be better spent elsewhere. not to say a price tag of 10 or 15m has been mentioned somewhere. no high-profile ageing flops from other “big” clubs. Modric, Moutinho, Zarate etc. are the ones we should consider. if we want experience Arshavin is a very realistic target.

• Geordie Gerrard7

Apr 25, 2008 at 11:45 AM

kkn39, youre right. and 51times, we have been linked with him in the daily telegraph, people will want to come to us as we have great players already, we cant offer european football but we can gurantee great fans and the start of something beatifull

• sirjasontoon

Apr 25, 2008 at 11:45 AM

I don’t Think we should go for Henry..I don’t think he is what we need….Modric and Crouch..yes please and Zarate would be class for us.
    PS Risse is S@it

• The Corner

Apr 25, 2008 at 11:48 AM

The modern player craves european football, we aren’t in a position to offer that at present and therefore can’t really expect to attract the “top” players that will be available in the summer.

The only realistic reason that we could attract them is if Mr Ashley offers stupid amounts of wages, and for me thats just attracting more mercenaries.

• tdt

Apr 25, 2008 at 11:51 AM

• Davies

Apr 25, 2008 at 11:53 AM

The question is; do we need Thierry Henry?

We have Owen and Martins and there is some raw talent coming through the reserves.

I think big Andy Carroll will prove to be a good replacement for Viduka when his age finally gets the better of him, and there’s a few others already at NUFC that look like they will be top class in years to come.

This being the case, why invest large sums of money in a player who is past his best, and too old to get back to what he was. Don’t get me wrong, I like Henry, he’s still got a lot of quality, just not £15m worth.

I’d rather have a big striker who can hold up play in the box. If Carroll isn’t ready for that just yet, then we should be looking at somebody else.

Funds from the sale of Ameobi and Smith should make the purchase of a big strong lad in the mould of Viduka, but with age on his side a realistic option.

• valle

Apr 25, 2008 at 11:56 AM

Berbatov or Hantelaar alongside Owen, with Modric pulling the strings and Carrick protecting the back 4

• Gooderz

Apr 25, 2008 at 11:59 AM

I agree with Davies. The kind of money being talked about for Henry would be much better going towards a player similar to Viduka, but perhaps more mobile about the pitch.

Elmander could be a direct replacement but that might see Viduka leave. Pandev is another option and someone who could fill in for Owen as well.

• 51times

Apr 25, 2008 at 12:07 PM

I’d say keep Viduka at least for another season, if he really is Modrics second cousin that should help in getting him to the club.

• Toon Toon Black & White Army

Apr 25, 2008 at 12:07 PM

Valle, Carrick has already signed a new deal with Man u so there is no chance he is going to come here in the near future. I think it might be a good idea to get henry as he has bucket loads of knowledge of the prem and still has at least 4 years of top flight playing years left. So if we did get him europe would defiently be on the cards next year and of course his experience there would be vital.

• Ross G

Apr 25, 2008 at 12:08 PM

Carrick has never protected the back 4 in his life, he is a play-maker thats it. His tackling is poor, heading poor. He is very good at passing and positioning thats it. He looks good at united because they can afford a player with those qualities without worrying so much about his defensive capabilities, unfortunetly we cant. I think a bid for Villareals Mavuba would be the best option, all action, aggressive, with a good pass and an athlete. Huntelaar seems to be on the radar again bit of an odd one, he is quality no doubt, but I really dont think strikers are a priority to us. Modric yes defo, and Mavuba. Then 2 quality defenders LB,CB. Then a striker if needs be. Where would Hunt fit in, he isnt taking Owens place, Viduka is the target man, and we have just got Martins to commit long term so it seems a little weird. Henry is not worth it either, he would give us 2-3 years of quality maybe, but I dont think we can get him, his value is very high for his age almost 31, and for that money we could get Hunt, or even Bridge, and Metzelder.

• Marguerite

Apr 25, 2008 at 12:15 PM

I think Henry is a no goer. He does not want to come to NUFC and he is not for us. I loved the way he played for Arsenal but I am convinced his best days are behind him.

Plus I heard he is suffering from chronic back troubles, hence perhaps him not being so effective at Barca.

The idea of Huntelaar is much more appealing.

• HonoraryGeordie

Apr 25, 2008 at 12:21 PM

If Henry says he wants to come to us then we should snap his hand off. Don’t get me wrong I like the idea of getting younger lads in, but his experience would be vital if we were chasing a cup or title etc, and just having him in the team would scare some teams in to defeat! He would also be a name in the team that would attract other players. Realistically we won’t get him, and also the money could be spread further elsewhere. But if we did get him I’m certain you all wouldn’t be complaining!!!!
    Owen behind Henry and Martins, that is the stuff dreams are made of!!!
    The signing I want most, other than Modric, is Dean Ashton! He is a more consistent and all round version of Viduka, and he is english so he and owen could get a combination going that benefits us and England!

• Ross G

Apr 25, 2008 at 12:24 PM

For me realisitically -get rid of these: Carr free, Rozenhal 2m, Cacapa free, Diatta free, Emre 5m, N’Zogbia 8m, Ameobi 3m, Smith 5m. Ttl: 23m.
    Buy these: Modric £20m, Ashavin £8m, Mavuba £6m, Bridge £7m, Barzagli £12m, Ben Haim £3m, and maybe a top striker Huntelaar £18m -Ttl: 74m ——net outlay: £50m with the free agents wages taking up new signings also. My team would be a 4 1 3 2 (433 but fussy):

Given

Beye Taylor Barzagli Bridge

Mavuba

Arshavin Owen Modric

Huntelaar Martins

Bench: Harper, Ben Haim, Milner, Barton, Viduka

• 51times

Apr 25, 2008 at 12:42 PM

RossG – Berzagli? Class on fm, but I don’t see us going for him.

• HonoraryGeordie

Apr 25, 2008 at 12:44 PM

Ross G, I like that team! Unfortunately I can’t see it happening due to the amount of money you are talking about is a huge risk, and also because Keegan rates the players we have very highly and just wants 4-5 players to slot in and improve it.
    I expect that out of our current starting 11:
    Harper/Given – both will stay and compete
    Beye – First teamer
    Taylor – his place could unfortunately be threatened
    Faye – first teamer (unfortunately – I’d prefer Taylor!)
    Enrique – will be second choice to experience replacement
    Geremi – place taken by better addition
    Butt – one more season as key player
    Barton – could be in prison, but Keegan rates him highly
    Owen – Captain
    Viduka – will be heavily challenged by either Carroll or replacement
    Martins – first teamer

Taylor, Enrique, Geremi, Viduka maybe Barton with replacements, this fits exactly with Keegans idea for 4-5 class players and some youngsters as well!

• Tom_Toon

Apr 25, 2008 at 12:45 PM

Barzagli is brilliant, but ill settle for Bruno Alves.

Certainly dont want Huntelaar or Henry. Huntelaar has a good finish but nowt else.

• TooooooN

Apr 25, 2008 at 3:26 PM

We need a good target man….hunterlaar maybe, berbatov(possible),

• Leo

Apr 25, 2008 at 3:27 PM

its like one of his shaving foam adverts

“i never think about yesterday”