Edgar Gets Seven Stitches In Bad Head Wound

Kevin Keegan has informed his young up and coming defender David Edgar that all he needs now is a broken nose to be a proper defender, after the 20 year-old had seven stitches in a head wound picked up near the end of the game yesterday.

david-edgar-_656441.jpg

David Edgar – 7 stitches in forehead wound

The 20-year-old clashed with striker Carlton Cole in Saturday’s 2-2 draw with West Ham, and the 20 year-old Canadian left the field with blood gushing from his forehead.

Keegan said after the game yesterday:

“He’s taken a knock but he’s OK and has had seven stitches in it.,”

“I’ve told him he’s a proper defender now and all he needs is the broken nose.”

The Newcastle Academy graduate was starting his second game of the season, after Abdoulaye Faye was forced to withdraw, very late, from the squad because of injury.

Keegan thinks that both young central defenders, Edgar and England Under-21 Captain Steven Taylor grew in stature as the game went on.

Kevin continued:

“We had two young centre-backs playing today and they got better as the game went on,”

“It was a disappointing first half an hour or so but after that we improved and looked more solid after the break.”

We think Kevin will be pleased that three of his back four yesterday were 22 years-old or younger, and apart from the first 30 minutes, all the lads played solidly.

But the defense and the team in general was out of sorts for the majority of the first half as they went two goals down.

It took Oba Martins to score one and make one, to get the Magpies level at half time, but Newcastle couldn’t go on to get all 3 points and a draw was probably a fair result.

• Spyro

Apr 27, 2008 at 7:15 PM

I have a lot of faith in this guy. We need to have him learning from Beye

• Alex

Apr 27, 2008 at 7:32 PM

The lad looks like he could be the real deal, he needs games to build up his confidence and experience but him and taylor look like they can build up a great partnership at the back.if both are fit then i hope they play the last couple of games together.

• John League

Apr 27, 2008 at 7:40 PM

I hope Edgar turns out to be a great defender, but every time I will think of him for the rest of his career it will be for his equalizer against ManUre last year.

• Geordie Lumberjack

Apr 27, 2008 at 7:42 PM

7 stitches, it’s hockey playoff season in NA. Good to see he has the spirit.

• Scott H11

Apr 27, 2008 at 7:44 PM

Edgar will just be happy it wasnt a serious leg injury. I heard it was revenge for what Taylor did to Freddie Jlundberg though I never saw it myself. The kid is tough as old boots and I’m sure he’ll be fit for next weekend and will wear his scar with pride blooding himself for NUFC.,

• Fernando

Apr 27, 2008 at 7:53 PM

what u guys think of this scenario?

We beat chelski emphatically, man yoo losing ergo giving man yoo a lifeline.

And we make the headlines.

Then BAM! we court the players we want!

• Greg P

Apr 27, 2008 at 7:54 PM

It looked bad at first as he collapsed in a heap, but good to see he’s alright. The Taylor thing was nothing, just bad luck as Freddie rolled over and underneath Tayls

• i Toon

Apr 27, 2008 at 8:43 PM

David got much better as the game went on & he can be top class defender. By the way is nufc getting a new away kit for next season ???

• Leo

Apr 27, 2008 at 8:44 PM

if it was for revenge it just shows how scummy west ham are.

• obafemimartins

Apr 27, 2008 at 10:54 PM

i think it is because carlton cole is a d*ckhead

• HÃ¥vard( Norway)

Apr 28, 2008 at 12:03 AM

where can I see the goals?

• Oba 9

Apr 28, 2008 at 2:05 AM

please kk do not sign richard dunne he is now 28 and 1 of the most erratic defenders in the prem when he is in form he is a great defender but when he is low in confidence he is like shambles.

• polak

Apr 28, 2008 at 4:36 AM

• Tripp

Apr 28, 2008 at 5:04 AM

I had that once, playing right back in my first varsity start. 4 of us went up for a header. My goalie punched me in the head then his chin hit me in the temple. Knocked me unconscious for 5 minutes and I had a massive siezure right there on the pitch. Only 5 stiches in me heed though. The local newpaper camera man caught a great photo of it.

Head injuries suck. Glad to hear Edgar just had stiches.

• Nobby!

Apr 28, 2008 at 6:10 AM

Haha! I had six stitches myself late last year, but I won’t be looking forward to that broken nose anytime soon!

• 51times

Apr 28, 2008 at 6:44 AM

polak – Mati Fernandez? I wish.

• Nick Dryden

Apr 28, 2008 at 8:03 AM

We’ve had a week where we have gone from almost signing a world class 22 year old to being linked with blowing 6m on a distictly average and mediocre defender in Dunne. If we can’t get class like ompany, Metzelder or the young lad at Bilbao, then give Edgar more games. Taylor has been Bramblesque at times but still gets a gig.

• ToonIndonesia

Apr 28, 2008 at 9:26 AM

3 Dario Dainelli
    Data di nascita 09/06/1979
    Nazionalità Italy
    Altezza 191 cm.
    Peso 83 Kg.
    Ruolo Difensore

lots of world’s great defenders are from italy…
    i wish kk could get one of them for next season.

• ToonIndonesia

Apr 28, 2008 at 9:29 AM

3 Dario Dainelli
    Data di nascita 09/06/1979
    Nazionalità Italy
    Altezza 191 cm.
    Peso 83 Kg.
    Ruolo Difensore

lots of world’s great defenders are from Italy…
    i wish kk could get one of them dor next season.

• Eric

Apr 28, 2008 at 9:37 AM

A real piece of experience for Edgar who deserved his run out and played well eventually. Faye will be back I assume for the Chelsea Bun Boys though. Hope Edgar is fit enough for the bench. Don’t get Dunne. He is not Champions League challenging material.Hey, Diatta’s a bigger bugger ain’t he.

• yet_another_indian_toon

Apr 28, 2008 at 10:04 AM

I thought that cauliflower ears were a prerequisite to the defender’s position…

• Davies

Apr 28, 2008 at 11:19 AM

Edgar’s a good youngster, and I think he should get more first team starts, but he does need to do a bit of work before that can happen.

He looked like a spectator for the first half hour of the match. Still rate him though, and yes, it’s impossible to think of David Edgar without remembering his goal against Man Utd.

• Scott H11

Apr 28, 2008 at 12:37 PM

Perhaps thats where Edgar’s spirit comes from, he had the opportunity to become a Pro Ice Hockey player and an Olympic 1500m athlete in Canada but chose football. I’d like to think he’s shown enough to warrant an extension on his contract next year