If anything Newcastle were probably lucky to come away with a point from West Ham yesterday, after the team slept through much of the first half.
Oba Martins – goal but not one of these yesterday – is he sick?
- For the first time in a while some Newcastle players didnâ€™t turn up for the beginning of the game at Upton Park yesterday
- Alan Curbishley had West Ham ready for this game, after they were booed from the field last week against relegated Derby County, even though they won 2-1
- It looked like the old days of our defense being leaky were back again as we let in 2 goals in the first 23 minutes â€“ the same number we had conceded in the last 6 full games
- David Edgar was again introduced at the last minute, so that may have had something to do with it and lots of fans will point to the absence of big Abdoulaye Faye as a reason for our initial defensive culpability
- But after he settled down Edgar played well again â€“ although the youngster, to be fair to him, needs a string of games for him to be Premier sharp. But to us, heâ€™s a future Newcastle player in the making, and has an excellent attitude
- We have to thank Oba Martins for saving us yesterday. He scored just a wonderful opportunist goal and had an assist for the second.
- And on 90 minutes Oba almost snatched the winner but Robert Green made a great save low to his left
- In the second half the lads showed their character and spirit, but against a better side â€“ like Chelsea, who are next up, we would have been dead and buried in the first half
- Steve Harper made his customary match saving save, when on 80 minutes he saved a blast from Dean Ashton and turned the ball over the bar. Steve continues to look the part in the Newcastle goal and is so safe these days
- Butt got into the game, but only in the second half, because in the first half our former captain Scott Parker and Mark Noble completely ran the midfield
- Oba Martins, we thought, was our best player and he scored one and made one just before half time to get us right back into the game, and was willing to shoot at every opportunity
- But we have to admit to being a little worried about Oba – no somersault after his goal – is he sick? 😀
Comments very welcome.