20 Players on Newcastle’s Transfer List

News today that Newcastle have failed in their three attempts to sign players for the summer.

dennis-wise-22.jpg

Dennis Wise – top man in Newcastle transfer bids

But we have learned that there are some 20 players on the list, which will obviously be prioritized with the best players first. There are probably around four categories of players in that list – center back, left back, central midfielder and striker.

But news that we have failed three times already, at least initially, suggests what Kevin has been saying may be true, that it may be hard for the club right now to attract the very best players.

We’ll have to accept that, and do our best this summer, because it should be easier in January and next summer to attract the very best, when hopefully we are higher in the league and have qualified for European football again.

Kevin said today:

“We’ve earmarked about 20 players,”

“We’ll be in there pitching for some very good players,” “If you don’t bowl, you can’t knock the wickets down.”“We might get hit for six, but we might get a wicket.”

“We’ll get the targets we want hopefully. I’m sure if we had three top class players to what we’ve got and a couple of good youngsters we can look forward to a lot more in front of our fans next year.”

We’re sure this cricket analogy might be puzzling to our American readers, but basically Kevin is saying if we don’t go for good players we will not get them, and sometimes we’ll probably be knocked back big time in the process.  But that’s the way it is.

However, courage in the transfer market was never a failing for Kevin Keegan, and we expect the club to attract some very good players in the summer. We’ve got to remain positive on that.

• Tom_Toon

Apr 28, 2008 at 11:53 AM

Bruno Alves (CB), Veloso (DM/LB), Montolivo (AM) and Dembele (RW/LW/ST) 🙂

Covers all positions!

• 51times

Apr 28, 2008 at 12:00 PM

Tom_Toon – Never seen or heard of Dembele, how good is he and where does he play?

• Tom_Toon

Apr 28, 2008 at 12:01 PM

You must have. He scored twice against us when we play AZ last year!

• toonhitman

Apr 28, 2008 at 12:02 PM

we should go for joe cole and jimmy bullard,with chelsea likley to go for kaka we might have a chance,and with fullham looking like they might go down

• Eric

Apr 28, 2008 at 12:03 PM

If they want to come have a look at them. Perhaps we should scout down at Accrington Stanley. Gretna may have a few surplus. KK did say that he had several of interest for each position. So he goes for Dunne if Campbell said no already. Cuella not proven in the EPL but may have more quality. So who is the fourth choice for CB. Let’s face it we are down there already if KK’s got 5 on his CB list. Still think the gutter sports press has made some undeserved mud stick to us.

• toonhitman

Apr 28, 2008 at 12:03 PM

another one is farfan

• Tom_Toon

Apr 28, 2008 at 12:04 PM

Farfan has said many times he doesnt really want to play in england.

• Elfer

Apr 28, 2008 at 12:05 PM

all no names and I reall hope we can at least attract one fantastic midfielder…hope!

• Gordon

Apr 28, 2008 at 12:06 PM

I know that players in Europe know that NUFC is a big club and have heard of us over the years, but if I was a top class European player and Newcastle were showing interest the first thing I would do is check their league position. If we’d have managed to finish in the top 8 we would be in a much stronger position as Europe would seem likely next season. However, we are not even in the top half and this makes things very difficult. I’m pleased that with KK the fans will be a lot more patient with our progression, but being realistic we will probably be looking at next summer before we can bring in any of the players we would like to see pull on the black and white shirt. Best of luck Kev, I’m right behind you all the way mate.

PS: If we can beat Chelsea then that would help us out big time, our form at the moment is very good so I am optomistic.

• Geordie Gerrard7

Apr 28, 2008 at 12:06 PM

mouso dembele, is qaulity, he is still wanted by madrid they recon.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9PGe_ZAxTWs&feature=related watch this, soooo funny. dyers miss wasnt that bad

• adam

Apr 28, 2008 at 12:06 PM

lahm has rejected a contract and wants to move on. we should at least offer him a chance to come here

• Spyro

Apr 28, 2008 at 12:07 PM

Dembele is class

• Nev

Apr 28, 2008 at 12:08 PM

wise and co better deliver !
    theyve been paid for jack shit so far

• 51times

Apr 28, 2008 at 12:13 PM

He did as well…I have to admit I’ve blocked that game out from my memory, far too painful. All I remember were the tears in Nobby’s eyes.

• aaron d

Apr 28, 2008 at 12:17 PM

is dembele a striker? has only scored 6 goals in 33 games this season in the dutch league too, not sure if he’s the answer.

• jeffa

Apr 28, 2008 at 12:17 PM

I think the 3 players we have missed out on are

.modric
    .wes brown
    .carrick

• Geordie Gerrard7

Apr 28, 2008 at 12:17 PM

hes more of a creative midfielder

• 51times

Apr 28, 2008 at 12:22 PM

Carrick? Dream on, we were never in for him in the first place.

• Micky Toon

Apr 28, 2008 at 12:24 PM

Adam – Isn’t he going to sign for ManU? Once ManU is interested it’s basically game over for us.

PS

Don’t quote Shearer at me. It was different times. We were a top performer and he was a local lad.

• paul p

Apr 28, 2008 at 12:28 PM

i think we need 6 quality players. 2 centre halfs, 1 left back, 2 midfielders, 1 forward, my forward would be either david villa, hunterlaar, midfielders i would love to see ronaldinho and then one of either diego or van der vaart. centre halfs dont no who is out there to get, need 2 quality ones though, left back, either bridge, emmanuelson, drenthe. we chance to get richard dunne at centre half, wes brown is so shakey after watching him on saturday. so for me, he;s a no no.

• Elfer

Apr 28, 2008 at 12:30 PM

The tree players we missed are:

Sol Campbell, Lassana Diarra and Luka Modric

So I’m not that dissapointed yet…becouse I guess there are real big fishes still to catch! 😉

• ToonDaft

Apr 28, 2008 at 12:36 PM

paul p, that has seriously made my day – Villa and Owen up front with Diego/VDV and the Dinho as our attacking mids – Drenthe as well – LOVE IT I WOULD, LOVE IT – LMAO

• nightfall

Apr 28, 2008 at 12:38 PM

wise & co. are doing a good job…they won’t be held for rensom, but the problem is kev is advertising we’ll spend BIG, so clubs will want more money from us… and another problem is kev want names, while wise with our scounting network want “cheep diamonds”…so…i think it’s going to be an interesting summer…i just hope they’ll find the way to solve this “mistake”…

• ToonDaft

Apr 28, 2008 at 12:44 PM

i think we need a mixture of both, diamonds in the making and several names for the now

• Charlie Bucket

Apr 28, 2008 at 12:46 PM

the three we missed out on are Diarra and Woodgate in January and now Modric.

• Bmore

Apr 28, 2008 at 12:50 PM

However comes in must have the desire to want to do well for Newcastle Utd.

I don’t care if they see it as a stepping stone to another ‘big’ club – just as long as they are hungry to play, and play well.

I have seen enough of the big time Charlies with there big salaries to match there big ego’s on the quayside!

• AndyT

Apr 28, 2008 at 1:01 PM

I think Jimmy Bullard would be a great signing, but he wont move up north. If Fulham go down, then expect to see him at West Ham or Pompey.

• Jim

Apr 28, 2008 at 1:04 PM

We’re going to have to replace N’Zogbia, Carr, Diatta, Rohzenthal, Ameobi & possibly Milner in the Summer, On top of that we need a LB and creative midfielder.

So… we need cover right across the back line, one of which must be a 1st choice CB. We need a RW (1st choice if Milner leaves), 1st choice AM, LW cover. We need a 1st choice commanding striker.

3 (poss. 4) 1st choice, top quality signings.
    3 cover youngsters with high hopes.
    This, coupled with our Reserve team will see us well in to the top half next season!

Is the 1st really Dunne or is it another false dawn. You think by now we would have waited until he was signed until we regurgitated more garbage.

• Ross

Apr 28, 2008 at 1:06 PM

Lewis McGugan from Nottingham Forest, A quality midfielder has made a hell of alot of starts for an 18 year old, he’s better than Gilles Barnes thats for sure and we put in a bid for him.

• Micky Toon

Apr 28, 2008 at 1:15 PM

Wes Brown has been offered a new contract at ManU, so let’s forget about him.
    David Villa won’t join us, so forget about him.
    Players I can see joining us are Wayne Bridge, David Dunne, Nicky Shorey, Giles Barnes and Leyton Baines. I would love Baines to sign for us, top quality LB.
    If none of the top 4 are interested then we could persuade Bently to join us, but he’ll probably go to Liverpool of ManU. Joe Cole is a good outside bet if he doesn’t stay at Chelsea, but don’t be surprised to see him join Arsenal.
    I would like to see us end Kenwyne Jones and Nosworthy’s miserable existance at the stadium of plight and sign for us. Both good quality players. If Jones is good enough for Shearer, he’s good enough for me!

• Geordie Gerrard7

Apr 28, 2008 at 1:29 PM

micky toon- heres abit of toilet roll to wipe your mouth.

STOP TALKING SHIT

• Vitorbarbosa

Apr 28, 2008 at 1:31 PM

I think Rohzehnal could back and be better player for us. I know he requested to move out at difficult times of our club and a bit selfish in that sense but who doesn’t? This is his first season in premiership, and we replace manager half way. He never heard of KK, results do not went our way and he want to make sure he plays in Euro 2008.

I won’t blame him for making the call to go out for loan. He has quality and class. We need to partner him with the right people and teach him the right mentality. At times, he wasn’t aware that premiership is so fast that they can rob the ball off you!

Of the 20 players, I believe at least 20% of them will be top class players. As Ed translated, we won’t get world class players if we don’t even try. We can try and fail, which better than we don’t try and never fail but we won’t get the players too.

Heartbreak is a process of living. How many actually find true love in first try?

• James

Apr 28, 2008 at 1:34 PM

Henry will be on the list.

As will SWP – KK often remarks that he is one of the best players he has ever worked with.

But like most of them on the list it is going to be hard to persuade them to come to a club that isn’t in Europe.

• 51times

Apr 28, 2008 at 1:34 PM

Our main hope is to look into Europe and maybe even South America. The quality PL players aren’t available for us.

• Jim

Apr 28, 2008 at 1:41 PM

I mentioned it in another post but at the risk of repeating myself we have tough opponents in the transfer market with Villa, Spurs, Portsmouth, Everton and possibly Man. City if a new manager comes in. I’m not sure about Blackburn and don’t even need to mention the Champions League spots.

I think Villa, Everton, Spurs and Pompey are ahead of us in the transfer market as choices for the easy street’ers and foreigners. They all have good managers, European football and are developing well.

We have (an undefined amount of) money, a good manager with a core of quality players and a vision. I think it’s going to be a hard Summer for Wise and co. but a good last couple of games starting with a win against Chelski can only be of benefit.

Christmas is when we’ll know how things are. If we’re fighting at the top, we’ll attract better quality in January ’09.

(and there’s a cracking young midfielder on loan to Aberdeen from Birmingham called Sone Aluko. He’s one who’d be a great young buy as attacking striker.

• Micky Toon

Apr 28, 2008 at 1:49 PM

Once again this site has not let me down. Thanks Geordie Gerrard7 for you wonderful insite. You are what makes this site great.

• micepie

Apr 28, 2008 at 1:59 PM

If we get Dunne that would be a good start. I didn’t realise that he’s only 28!

I’d like to see us not offload many players at all, and I don’t think KK intends to. Carr can go, probably Amoebi too (and Rosenzhal). I’d keep Diatta and if we let any other defenders go, probably just Cacapa. Diatta has to be worth at least a one year deal, because he looks strong and his understanding with Beye and Faye should be good.

Then new deals for Owen and Martins and take it from there.

• norwegiantoonfan

Apr 28, 2008 at 2:03 PM

why not go for monaco`s jeremy menez.he`s a young 20year old attacking midfielder with lots of pace and dribbling ability..reminds me of zidane:) just check him out

• Jim

Apr 28, 2008 at 2:06 PM

I just posted a comment about our pecking order on transfers and how poor it is but got edited out because I put a link in to a great prospect if we could get him… oh well.

The guy I think we could get is a youngster on loan to Aberdeen from Birmingham called SONE ALUKO. He’d be a great replacement to N’Zogbia.

He’s got all the pace and skill to become an excellent player and you heard it here first.

• Bill F

Apr 28, 2008 at 2:21 PM

So is this mythical list a constantly changing one as targets contribute to the constant fiasco by signing for other teams.
    Perhaps the much vaunted backroom team had better say nowt until they have actually got the player/s in the keep net.

Just for the record (and I will keep saying it) please not Dunne, please oh please oh please. I hope he goes to the spuds.