Owen Helped Stem The Tide at West Ham

Keegan today paid tribute again to the versatility of Newcastle and England striker Michael Owen.

michael-owen-1232.jpg

Michael Owen – dropped back to stem the tide

Michael was initially deployed as part of the front three in our 4-3-3 formation, but Kevin asked him to drop back and play as part of a midfield four when Newcastle switched to 4-4-2 early in the game.

Owen was not prominent up front on Saturday he looked good and we saw how well he was linking the play from defense to attack for Newcastle and of course Oba Martins was a constant threat up front to West Ham.

Kevin talked to the Newcastle journal this morning:

“The front three are always liable to score but when you’re not playing well it’s good to have players like Michael,” “I asked him to drop back in and play a 4-4-2 and he did because he’d do anything for the team.”

“He stopped the avalanche coming down our right because they were tearing us to bits down there.”

“He did it, they lost some of their momentum. We got a goal out of nothing, were perhaps lucky to go in at half time at 2-2, but I don’t think we were lucky to get a point.’’

As we’ve said before, Michael is a much better footballer than he’s given credit for. He links up beautifully from his deep position, and of course he can also score goals, which he has done for the team this season.

He now has 12 goals this season, to go with his 7 of previous seasons, but if he stays fit, he’s going to get a lot more goals next season, that’s for sure.

• James

Apr 28, 2008 at 10:45 AM

Every good team has one player that makes them tick, and Owen is ours.

• Nasher

Apr 28, 2008 at 10:59 AM

Well i hope we sort his contract out very soon. And a lengthy one aswell

• 51times

Apr 28, 2008 at 11:01 AM

Hope he stays until the end of his career.

• Davies

Apr 28, 2008 at 11:09 AM

God bless little Mickey. He and Oba should be secured before we start digging around for gifted youngsters with greedy agents.

Glad he’s shown that he is still a world class striker. His performances over the last seven matches have silenced most of his critics. I just hope he can keep it up.

• James

Apr 28, 2008 at 11:13 AM

Come August if Owen and Martins have signed long term contracts, then any other signings will be a bonus as far as I’m concernced.

• Matthew Tom

Apr 28, 2008 at 11:40 AM

I am bothered by this idea of playing Owen in midfield. I can see he’s good at it, but I’m not sure it will help at all in persuading him to sign a new contract, because he knows he’s a striker and he really should be playing up top.

• Leo

Apr 28, 2008 at 11:43 AM

its a very clever position because when MO drops back martins can sneek on the shoulders of defenders to then get a ball over the top and he scored from it on saterday, well done everyone

• Balderdash

Apr 28, 2008 at 12:12 PM

Oh how the opinions change drastically!!
    There was a few names on here absolutely slating owen 3/4 months back, now you all love him to bits!!!
    Dragoner, boater, tom toon, leo,James,etc etc etc!

I have an excellent memory!!

• zhun

Apr 28, 2008 at 12:38 PM

i think KK should praise Martins too~
    he is praising Owen too often

• James

Apr 28, 2008 at 12:51 PM

Balderdash – you have a bad memory. I have never criticised Owen and I’ve defended him against the attacks he was getting on here.

• Bill F

Apr 28, 2008 at 2:03 PM

I v’e said all along that Owen was more than just a striker. I did have my doubts about his fitness however and did make numerous comments to that effect. I’m delighted he has proved us wrong on that score.

• Shaz

Apr 28, 2008 at 2:58 PM

hope he leaves ,how wasted is he at club goin nowhere fast.and you can have all the optimism you want at the end of the day its just pie in the sky.

• t-g-w

Apr 28, 2008 at 3:44 PM

@ Shaz why come on another teams website just to slag it off? How sad is that?! Get a life mate

• Shanghaitoon

Apr 28, 2008 at 4:23 PM

Shaz… go stick one up your sister … before your father does!!

• Leo

Apr 28, 2008 at 4:26 PM

yes balderdash as james said, your memory serves you wrong… its like you put your hand in the bucket and picked some names out

what have i said that would make you say i slated owen? i may have said a few times that i prefer obafemi martins but that does not go to say i slated owen.

• Shaz

Apr 28, 2008 at 5:32 PM

it is all the false optimism, it really pisses me off.look at every other player of owen’s class, they are playing at top clubs,club that are challenging for trophies.you will never be there.owen has wated three years of his career,he deserves a chance at a better club again.when he is fit , his goal scoring is up there with the best of them.

• Reb

Apr 28, 2008 at 7:48 PM

Zhun — Keegain did praise Martins (rightly so) after the West Ham match, it’s just in another thread. This thread points out that Owen wasn’t having an off-match, he was playing in midfield at “orders” so to speak of the manager, which explains why he didn’t have so much as a shot on goal, let alone an actual goal. Owen gets slagged off by some people the moment he goes one match without scoring, so no doubt Keegan felt the need to explain. Also, it highlights that Owen is playing where the team needs — exactly the sort of thing expected from a good captain, I should think. Owen wasn’t particularly impressive though he was solid, but then, that is more what Newcastle needed. There’s a good reason that Owen gets a shout from Keegan after every match — he’s earned it.

• Balderdash

Apr 29, 2008 at 9:12 AM

LEO-On more than one occasion on here you said we should sell Owen, he only plays when he plays for England!!!!!!! Do not deny it, I have just checked out the archives….Have a look!!

James apologies, I do believe I got it wrong with you!

Fact is the Owen slaters are all just fair weather supporters, and are no longer required at the club!!

• Leo

Apr 29, 2008 at 10:18 AM

balderdash

i think the article i would have said that in frustration, plus i believe that i implied i would have oba rather than owen, which has not changed, oh my saying that i was angry that owen seemed to only play for england is wrong? was it wrong? no in his first 2 years i was fully justified in saying so.

fair weather supporters? give me a break, had season tickets for over 13 years now,and barely missed a home game in that time.

a fair weather supporter, i never booed during the sam alardyces time i got angry at nicky butt which i have fully admitted and i agree i was wrong with him, grow up and stop claiming people are fair weather supporters, that is a total falasy

• Balderdash

Apr 29, 2008 at 10:48 AM

LEO-I have had a season ticket for 15 yrs, can count on 2 hands the amount of away games I have missed in the last 10 years.Missed 1 home, as I got married!! (Moron I know) It was the Coventry game when Sir Les made his debut and scored that goal)

I do understand that you said what you said in frustration as i too get very frustrated, however, i do not EVER individualise, if one plays shite in my eyes and the team wins then so be it, no need to fuss, however if one or 2 play shite and the team are defeated, I am the biggest whinger about the TEAM on the planet!!

I was just making my point that individual criticism of players when they arent playing up to the standard, does not get anyone anywhere!! It just irritates the die hards like me, and even more irritating is when individuals are severly criticised one minute, then in the next breath because they have hit a bit of form are the best thing sliced bread, totally pee’s me off. Thats My Opinion!

Owen in particular, why o why have a go when you know, I know that the kid is an excellent player whether in or out the team. He has been extremely unlucky with injury, and if playing for a Manager that wanted to defend every game, and does not play to suit your main striker, he is bound to struggle in such a team! (As was the majority of our attack minded players, Viduka, Duff, Milner, Nzoggy, Oba).
    Look at the Barton Haters!! Where are they now eh?? He is playing well so everyone leaves him be, coz what goes on outside of NUFC should stay outside of NUFC!!

People who single out individual players need not attend. It does nothing but bugger morale, of fans and team alike!!

REMEMBER. You support A TEAM first and foremost!!

• Leo

Apr 29, 2008 at 2:56 PM

you have a valid point balderdash alike you im die hard, but if a team is playing badly and one particular player at that point is playing badly its a fact of life most people are going to have something to say about it, it doesnt meant they are not fully supportive of the team on a whole, i also agree that its not goin to benefit the team if we (me included) confinue to talk on about how we think this person is rubbish in our team, lets keep that until they sign for the mackams or spurs 😉