David Edgar Has Future at Newcastle

Our Canadian 20 year-old center-back will be pleased with the two starts Keegan has given him in the run-in to the Premiership season.

david-edgar-2.jpg

David Edgar – has a future at Newcastle United

With Lamine Diatta, Claudio Cacapa and Peter Ramage all available, Keegan preferred young David when Steven Taylor and Abdoulaye Faye went down with injuries.

In those two games David has done enough to suggest he has a good future at St. James’ Park.

David talked about his chance today:

“It’s exciting that the gaffer shows some faith in me.”“I thought I did OK against Reading and West Ham after shaky starts so I’m glad the gaffer gives me that opportunity – especially with a player of Lamine Diatta’s quality on the bench.”

“Hopefully, I’ve done enough to stay in the team. If Abdoulaye is fit then I’m likely to be on the bench again but that’s fine as I’m just excited to be involved again.”

Edgar had a good education last week when he faced the big boys in England international Dean Ashton and Bobby Zamora.

David added:

“At West Ham I learned a lot.” “I played against two different types of players in Bobby Zamora and Dean Ashton. Ashton is a strong player and an England international.”

“But once I realized what they wanted to do, I played better and didn’t let them dominate me.”

“It was a good experience. At West Ham we were lucky to be level at half-time but we could have won the game.” “However, the plus point was that we haven’t lost a game.”

Edgar will be very happy if Newcastle can continue their good run against both Chelsea and Everton.

Everton will finish in 5th place whatever they do in their last 2 games, so in that way they will have nothing to play for a week on Sunday against the Magpies.

But Chelsea of course are still in with a chance of the Premier League and the European Champions League titles.

David continued:

“We want to end on a high and it’s important not to lose any more games.” “At the start of the season I was in and around the first team picture.”

It should be a great game on Monday – and we cannot wait for the game to start, so we can see just how much we’ve improved under the great Kevin Keegan.

• Leo

May 3, 2008 at 5:25 PM

good lad, he will only learn more and more if he continues to get a game hear and there

• Spot The Zebra

May 3, 2008 at 5:27 PM

Yet again its good management from Keegan by identifying his best back up defender (taking into account ability and age) then making him feel part of the first team squad.

• Hamas (51times)

May 3, 2008 at 6:25 PM

Everton still need another point to get 5th place. If they lost their last 2 games and then Villa win their last, Villa could finish 5th on goal difference.

• Robert-Croatia

May 3, 2008 at 6:31 PM

he’ll be good player in the future,that’s for sure,with king Kev on the helm

• tapir

May 3, 2008 at 6:47 PM

HE is still unproven
    go loan him to Stoke or Hull if they make it.
    He would be able to learn something then.
    For us,go for another world class CD please..

• ScottyT

May 3, 2008 at 7:23 PM

agree.. not the finished article by any means yet but he looks a gd player with a lot of potential.

• figsdad

May 3, 2008 at 7:28 PM

yep let ramage go and promote him to 1st team dutys…

• Malcolm

May 4, 2008 at 12:41 AM

David Edgar is the type of lad we would all like to succeed but I don’t think he is quite up to it if we are to get among the big boys. He is far too easily dominated as he hasn’t the physical presence to make a top class premier league centre half. His temperament is also questionable – he doesn’t inspire confidence in those around him as he is very nervous. Hope he proves me wrong though.

• Greg

May 4, 2008 at 5:08 AM

seen it so many tmes before, hes not good enough, he will end up playing championship football

• seetow

May 4, 2008 at 6:47 AM

like this lad.. but i think he might be another huntington.. :X

• robertsa

May 4, 2008 at 9:26 AM

egt rid of diatta ,cacapa ,rozenhal bring in cuellar, dunne, rise , and then keep edgar he will be mint in 4-5 years

• OzZyMagpiE

May 4, 2008 at 9:31 AM

nah he aint dat good.. can’t cut it..i c more in kadar if ur talkin potential centerback in a few years.

• Fernando

May 4, 2008 at 9:35 AM

CHampionship experience would do you some good. Go to some team that has mid table championship aspirations rather than risking not playing at all .

• Bakerman

May 4, 2008 at 5:27 PM

I hope that Edgar goes out on loan to either Stoke or West Brom (or whoever else gets promoted) as I strongly feel that a run in the 1st team will be all that is necessary for this lad to turn out great!!!

• Scott H11

May 4, 2008 at 8:12 PM

I’d like to see him go out on loan to Stoke for a season. I’ve watched him all season in the reserves and he’s been very impressive. Seems some people have made their mind up he’s not up to the job in the premiership, after only five or so full first team games. If he had the same run as Taylor has been lucky enough to have THEN we’d see what he is capable of.

• Scott H11

May 9, 2008 at 1:14 PM

Just for the record David was in agony throughout the whole game at West Ham but fought through the pain barrier. He has a hernia and rushed down to Leeds for an operation yesterday.