Nicky Butt Keen To Play Longer At Newcastle

Nicky Butt is very keen to play longer for Newcastle United, and past his current contract, which ends next summer.

nicky-butt-7385.jpg

Nicky Butt – anxious to play at Newcastle longer

Butt seems to have no thoughts of retirement and like most players at Newcastle he is really enjoying playing under new boss Kevin Keegan.

Nicky said today:

“The end comes for everybody but I’ve always been the battling type who can go on a bit longer,” “I’ve got one season left and anything beyond that is a bonus, really.

“If I’m playing well and enjoying it then I’d love to stay for another year but I don’t want to be in football just for the sake of it.”

“I want to keep playing until I know I can’t maintain my personal standards.”

Nicky has had a very good last couple of seasons with Newcastle, and since Kevin arrived back on Tyneside, he has played particularly well, often dominating midfield. Nicky is 33 years old and in today’s football world that’s not too old at all.

We don’t see any reason why Nicky wouldn’t continue at Newcastle if he plays as well next season as he has this season. Newcastle could gain from his huge experience and good play, although we fully expect Keegan to bring in some competition for the center midfield positions during the summer.

What do you think?

• robertsa

May 4, 2008 at 9:33 AM

butt is best player on our team this season give him 1 more year but after that it might be time for him to go to championship level espicially with tough compettition in the midfield of 3. with mcgeady makoun vaart and ireland all being linked his toon playing time will dwindle after next season

• Fernando

May 4, 2008 at 9:34 AM

hey nicky ur so fine your so fine you blow my mind! keep on goin nicky. till we get gattuso and de rossi.

• tonygreenthetannerballmagician

May 4, 2008 at 9:46 AM

When Nicky Butt signed for the Toon my initial thoughts were what a good signing by Sir Bobby.It went downhill from there and when he went to Brun I honestly felt he would never appear again in a Toon shirt.He came back, got his heed down and played for the shirt,and then some!!.Well done Nicky,top professional on and off the park.Give him what he wants!!.

• Eric

May 4, 2008 at 9:58 AM

The way our recruiting efforts are going, according to the tacky press, we need to keep him. As the NOTW seems to have taken over transfer negaotiations again we are still after Dunne etc. Ireland too. Zog on his way again according to the press. We will not be getting big names. As soon as the Gang of Four are named as interested in our so-called targets we drop out of the running. We have to be honest – a lot of players are put off coming to NUFC as soon as the so-called big four start sniffing. For example Wenger Burger is after Martins supposedly. Any truth in it? I would not wipe my bum with the NOTW!

• Leo

May 4, 2008 at 10:19 AM

i have previously been very nasty towards old nicky but he has been very dominant since keggy sorted out our team and its good that he wants to play on but newcastle have to find his sucessor otherwise we will be in trouble.

• Leo

May 4, 2008 at 10:23 AM

tonygreenthetannerballmagician- thats quite a mouthful lol… my initial reaction when nicky butt signed was, oh sh1t we just replaced solano with nicky butt *tears* lol

• tonygreenthetannerballmagician

May 4, 2008 at 10:58 AM

Leo,Yes, it is quite a mouthful,but my Mrs doesn’t complain!!.I know what you’re saying as Solano was/is a class act.However most teams use a player of Butts qualities in midfield and if Nicky Butt is good enough for Pele he’s good enough for me.

• Paul

May 4, 2008 at 1:55 PM

Nicky Butt– Class Act.
    He may not have everything he had to start, but what’s left is still pretty good.
    Also, a true professional. You never hear him spouting bile about teamates,the club or wanting off to a better situation.
    Please keep for the rest of his contract and then maybe offer him something in coaching.

• mitch

May 4, 2008 at 8:18 PM

What kk has to do is keep players like him until we get back in Europe we will not get the big players we once had lets be patient and build you can not run before you can walk