Here are some observations on the game against Chelsea, in which we looked good in the first half but Chelsea just had too much class in the final period.
- Newcastle played very well in the first half and we had two half chances that if we had taken may have made a difference but Michale Owen missed a couple of reasonable chances
- Chelsea seemed to be flat in the first half and Newcastle more than matched them with solid defending and good passing, but the Magpies still couldn’t carve out any clear-cut opportunities
- Chelsea had one chance in the first half when Ballack found himself through at inside left but he shot weakly over the bar
- Both goalkeepers had little to do and half time came with the Newcastle supporters looking forward to maybe wrapping the game up at half time
- Chelsea must have had a mini-blast at half time because they started the second half with a lot more urgency
- They raised their game from the off and for the first 15 minutes of the second period Newcastle found it difficult to live with Chelsea. ell after all they are one of the best teams in Europe and were showing why
- The Newcastle defense held out gallantly and young Steven Taylor made some great blocks, but the inevitable go-ahead goal came after 61 minutes when Ballack found room in the box from a Drogba free kick and headed home a simple goal
- Newcastle tried to come back and with a little look they may have had an equalizer, but there was no doubt who the better side were in the second half.
- And then Chelsea had the cheek to being on Frank Lampard, and Joe Cole was warming up – give us a break! 😀
- Newcastle were just not good enough to hold Chelsea in the second half when they moved to the higher gear – but the last 45 minutes will have been a good education for our boys and they can learn form it
- Newcastle’s performance this afternoon was a good one, and we have to remember that we were up against a tip-top team, and Avram Grant seems to have made the Blues even better this season
- Mark Viduka was a huge miss in the second half, and we lost a little of our shape with Alan Smith deputizing
- We need 5-6 top players this summer – as long as we can fill the squad with additional quality players, then the squad will be improved, and we’ll do much much better next season
- Oba Martins was the star again today. He’s a unique player who we must keep and use every game as a striker next season – he’s just far too good to use in a bit part role
- On the other hand Alan Smith just doesn’t look the part for Newcastle, and he’s probably not good enough to play up front for this team – that’s one thing that was abundantly clear in the second half today
- It may also be an opportunity for Kevin to move a few players out this summer such as Ameobi, Rozehnal, Carr, Ramage, Diatta, Smith and N’Zogbia, which should allow us to bring in even more top players, as well as some additional top youngsters
- There’s 7 players we can unload in the summer – who are probably not good enough – and we also need a bigger squad next year – so that’s why we’d like to see Kevin in bring in at least 6 top players – if we can get them to come
Comments very welcome.