What Went On At Ashley Meeting?

Kevin Keegan completed his meeting with Newcastle’s owner owner Mike Ashley today in London, but we hardly know what was even discussed.

kevin-keegan-_mcfc_profile_2004-2.jpg

Kevin Keegan – nothing much released about Ashley meeting today

Chairman Chris Mort, recently appointed Deputy Chairman, Executive Director of Football Dennis Wise and Vice-President Tony Jimenez, were also at the meeting.

However, very little so far has been released about what was discussed or what was agreed to as a result of today’s meeting.

After the meeting Chairman Chris Mort said:

“It was a good meeting,” “It was both productive and constructive.”

That kind of response is a standard generic description about almost any meeting, so we really don’t have any idea what even the discussions were about, never mind the results.

The BBC is reporting that when asked if Keegan would be in charge next season, a club spokesman told the BBC:

“As far as I’m aware he’s the manager.”

Of course that was rather a mischievous question to ask in any case, so the response wasn’t too surprising. If Kevin wasn’t now the manager, Chris would have hardly made the statement he made, and heaven help us all.

What we’d like to understand was whether Ashley was upset at Keegan because of the comments he made last Monday. We still don’t even know that.

The Times and other papers this morning reported that Ashley was livid at Kevin’s comments, but we don’t fully trust those reports.

It’s interesting that Kevin said nothing immediately after the meeting.

Kevin Keegan had been quoted before the meeting as saying:

“Part of my job as manager of Newcastle United is to tell fans what’s happening at their club.”

“Part of the media’s job is to report it correctly and keep it in context and not go off on tangents.”

“You can take the same phrase three different ways, and it can mean three different things. You know that.”

“I will continue to do what I have always done while I have been manager of Newcastle United, and at Manchester City and at Fulham and with England.”

“I haven’t changed.” “I am not scared of saying what I think the situation is, and I won’t change that.”

We have to assume that Kevin’s comments were at least discussed at the meeting, and there would presumably be some deliberations on what he exactly meant by them, and even why they were said.

But it also doesn’t look like the club wants to divulge much of what was said, which is probably a good thing, because the press would just misconstrue whatever was said, if they ventured into any detail.

But we have to assume they at least covered the transfer targets, since everybody associated with transfers at the club was present. We also assume the players Kevin wants to keep at the club were also discussed.

Let’s hope all will be well now, and we can look forward to new players arriving at the club shortly, and that new contracts will be offered to Michael Owen, Steven Taylor and Steve Harper.

Maybe we will learn more about what happened tomorrow – just maybe – but whatever the Daily Mail reports – don’t believe them.

• Neilos

May 9, 2008 at 7:49 PM

The speculation isn’t going to stop till we have a more complete answer as to what was on the agenda.

I hope it was regarding summer targets

• deano

May 9, 2008 at 7:58 PM

talked about money
    hope so

• michael

May 9, 2008 at 7:58 PM

It was basically a glorified board meeting, eh?
    Just the tabloids making something out of nothing.

• Leo Smith

May 9, 2008 at 7:59 PM

Actually, for Keegan to say that, I don’t think it means his comments were discussed at all, or at least weren’t a point of contention. I think what he means by that is:

“Did I actually ever say anything to make my owner angry? Or complain about a lack or funding? Or say I didn’t get on with the owner? Or say I didn’t have a good relationship with Dennis Wise? Or complain that I wasn’t involved in picking players? Or threaten to quit? No. no I didn’t, I said Chelsea are a long way ahead of us and that’d it’ll be very difficult to catch the top four, no matter how much money we spend, cos the best players in the world don’t come to clubs finishing twelfth in the league! So perhaps in future, you can actually report what I said and not some tedious made up rubbish about my incredibly safe job being under threat because that’s just nonsense.”

That’s how I read it anyway. I’ve maintained that the meeting was for Ashley to say “Look KK, you buy whoever you want and I’ll pay for it. Also well done for avaoiding relegation and making Chelski look ordinary for 45mins. With my help you can do it for 90mins. We’ll crack the top four, you’ll see!”

• JC

May 9, 2008 at 8:00 PM

I hope it was over deciding what squad number to give Veloso at the press conference. Number 6 saying Cacapa will be going

• Leo

May 9, 2008 at 8:00 PM

well reading what keegan said you can tell his future was not under jepordy

he is safe they were just disgussing the targets and how the new system was/is meant to work

• Leo Smith

May 9, 2008 at 8:02 PM

Haha, nice JC! :p

• Hadrian

May 9, 2008 at 8:09 PM

u sure those comments were from keegan after the meeting ?
    i dont think they were .

• JC

May 9, 2008 at 8:11 PM

Then after this they probably decided to tie up the Messi deal even though Ronaldo has expressed his desire to come. But you can’t keep everyone happy.

• Paulzim

May 9, 2008 at 8:14 PM

No those comments were BEFORE the meeting!

• JC

May 9, 2008 at 8:15 PM

Miguel will be docked his wages until he cuts his hairs. As you all know we run a very tight ship here. And if we are not careful pretty soon we will be up to are balls in jugglers!!!

• Hamas (51times)

May 9, 2008 at 8:15 PM

Everybody talking about Veloso calm down, these are just pipe dreams. How can we beat Manchester United, Chelsea and Real Madrid to a player? As much as it pains me to say it I don’t think we have any chance.

• JC

May 9, 2008 at 8:16 PM

HAHAHAHA!!

• JC

May 9, 2008 at 8:17 PM

Obviousily we know that, we are just having a bit of banter. But you are right Hamas (51times).

• Penalty-Spot

May 9, 2008 at 8:20 PM

From the BBC:

“Asked if Keegan would be in charge next season, a club spokesman told the BBC: “As far as I’m aware he’s the manager.” ” Surely they wouldn’t get rid? Like the headline says…what was said at the meeting?

• JC

May 9, 2008 at 8:40 PM

NEWCASTLE, England: Newcastle manager Kevin Keegan survived a showdown meeting with club owner Mike Ashley on Friday and pledged he would continue to speak his mind over the team’s chances of winning titles.

After last weekend’s 2-0 loss at home to Chelsea, Keegan said Newcastle couldn’t compete in the transfer market with the traditional top four — Manchester United, Chelsea, Arsenal and Liverpool — and that the title race had become predictable.

Ashley called a meeting with Keegan and chairman Chris Mort, and the manager said his comments had been taken out of context. But Keegan said he wouldn’t stop talking about how difficult it was to keep up with clubs who have dominated English soccer for 16 years.

“Part of my job as manager of Newcastle United is to tell fans what’s happening at their club,” Keegan said. “Part of the media’s job is to report it correctly and keep it in context and not go off on tangents.

“I will continue to do what I have always done while I have been manager of Newcastle United, and at Manchester City and at Fulham and with England. I haven’t changed. I am not scared of saying what I think the situation is, and I won’t change that.”
    Newcastle, which had gone seven games unbeaten before that loss to Chelsea, goes to Everton on the final day of the season on Sunday. Everton lies fifth in the standings, which would mean a UEFA Cup spot next season and that’s what Keegan is chasing next term.

“That’s our main target next year and that’s a very good target to set ourselves from where we are at the moment,” said Keegan, whose team looks certain to finish 12th this time.

• Luke

May 9, 2008 at 8:40 PM

non story, non post

• JC

May 9, 2008 at 8:44 PM

From the telegraph

Kevin Keegan remains as Newcastle manager following a “productive and constructive” meeting with club owner Mike Ashley today.

Keegan was summoned to London after Ashley was reportedly angered by his manager’s assertion on Monday that Newcastle were a “million miles away” from breaking into the top four of the Premier League.

• JC

May 9, 2008 at 8:45 PM

continued

Keegan met with Ashley and director of football Dennis Wise, as well as chairman Chris Mort, newly-appointed deputy chairman Derek Llambias and vice-president (player recruitment) Tony Jimenez.

Mort said: “It was a good meeting. It was both productive and constructive.”

Yesterday Keegan had been unrepentant following his outburst after the 2-0 home defeat to Chelsea that ended Newcastle’s seven-game unbeaten run. He said: “I know some people are disappointed I’m saying we’re not going to win the league this time, but I’d be in danger of being whipped off to the old nuthouse if I started saying that, because there’s a big gulf.

“The challenge is there, but I don’t think it can be done in a year or two.”

Keegan, who replaced Sam Allardyce in January to begin his second spell in charge at St James’ Park, will end an eventful season by taking his side to Everton on Sunday for their final Premier League game.

• Ed Harrison

May 9, 2008 at 8:46 PM

On reflection I believe the Keegan comments were said before the meeting -so i have corrected it and altered it accordingly.
    So nothing much at all said about the meeting so far.

• Toonboy

May 9, 2008 at 8:46 PM

standard meeting i’ld say discussing transfer targets,ya know Deco,Henry,Messi ect.ect lol

• JC

May 9, 2008 at 8:46 PM

Guardian

Kevin Keegan is looking forward to another season in charge of Newcastle United after holding talks with the club’s owner Mike Ashley that were described by chairman Chris Mort as “productive and constructive”.

Mort and his newly-appointed deputy Derek Llambias, as well as executive director of football Dennis Wise and vice-president Tony Jimenez, were at the meeting. “It was a good meeting,” said Mort. “It was both productive and constructive.”

Keegan headed for London for the talks after publicly casting doubt over Newcastle’s prospects of breaking into the Premier League’s top four. But despite speculation that Ashley was furious over his remarks, the club’s hierarchy are thought to have put any misunderstandings behind them as Keegan prepares his side to face Everton for their final game of the season on Sunday

• JC

May 9, 2008 at 8:52 PM

‘Kevin Keegan’s team were crowned North-East Summit champions on Saturday evening after Sunderland’s loss to Bolton.

The title now gives the team and fans bragging rights in the North-East. Newcastle fans will certainly enjoy their summer a lot more knowing that their team are better than Boro and Sunderland.’

The funny thing is that this season was our worse ever in the premiership but sunderland and boro are calling it a success.

• Toonboy

May 9, 2008 at 8:55 PM

Are we the only team with a billionaire owner who dosnt want to spend money??? i’ll be very shocked if we buy 1 player for 10mil or more.

• rubbix

May 9, 2008 at 8:56 PM

I for one couldnt care less as long as it was all good and not this crap the tabloids like the sun been printing today…honestly dont know were they get all there info from but not one bit of its true and have the rest of the country believe it is but us on tyneside know other wise……really peez me off to know a blokes sitting there makin crap up and getting paid for it with no facts to go on.

• Jim

May 9, 2008 at 9:05 PM

Mike Ashley
    Chris Mort
    Derek Llambias
    Kevin Keegan
    Denis Wise
    Tony Jimenez

“It was a good meeting. It was both productive and constructive” said Chris Mort.

And that’s all that’s been released post meeting. You can’t read much in to that!

I’m not sure how comfortable that meeting would have been for KK as everyone else has been appointed around him. I think the appointment of Wise has been the most destabilising event in recent months but who really knows.

I would very much like to see a transcript of that meeting because in it will be the entire present and mid term future of the club as well as the relationships between the senior management.

• Gooderz

May 9, 2008 at 9:29 PM

I would have thought that this meeting would be one of the first real chances for the whole team to sit down and discuss everything thoroughly and set out a definite plan for the next few years, instead of just next season.

With the people present transfers would be the main priority and going over who we should be after for every level at the club.

But Llambias’ appointment might go towards those development plans drawn up in the Shepherd era, what with his experience in that area.

That’s my bit of speculation, although it’s nowhere near the high level produced by the Sun.

• i Toon

May 9, 2008 at 9:43 PM

maybe Kevin getting a war chest a real big one i can dream can’t i ?

• deano

May 9, 2008 at 9:49 PM

ifn ashley wanted a meeting why would all the gang be there

this meeting was surely to talk about transfer targets
    why would wise jimenez be there
    they get the players in

the meeting would have just been mike mort keegan if it was about his future

• Jeff D

May 9, 2008 at 10:07 PM

Ive emailed the sun journalist who wrote the “Keegan must beg and grovel” for his job and told him exactly what i think of his article, and what a crap journalist he is to stoop to this sort of sensationalist bollocks. Ive not actually bought the sun for about six months because of the out and out attacks on Newcastle united. and hope every Newcastle fan boycotts this crap tabloid to.
    The journalist who wrote todays crap is s.brenner@thesun.co.uk if any body else feels as strongly as me and wants to email him about the endless toon in crisis shite they keep trying to rake up.

• Hamas (51times)

May 9, 2008 at 10:16 PM

lol@Daily Mail

Don’t believe anything they write about us, f*cking southern scum.

• willowtoon

May 9, 2008 at 10:22 PM

The meeting was to discuss next year. Yes MA would not be happy with KK comments about his relationship with MA. I think the fact all parties were there shows that MA has taken on board what KK said about moving forward.

I think the meeting was more to discuss why targeted players are not choosing NUFC and what can be done about it.

MA knew what KK was all about before he sigend him up as manager.

The press hate us and so expect negative headlines over the weekend

The future is bright its black and White

• Geordie Gerrard7

May 9, 2008 at 10:24 PM

daily mail is the worst paper

• Toonboy

May 9, 2008 at 10:33 PM

And i thought the sun was crap lol

• Jeff D

May 9, 2008 at 10:34 PM

Why did you not submit the blog i wrote!!! whats the matter, are sun journalists allowed to write any old crap and get away with it. Are we not allowed to tell them what we think of it!!! You probably wont submit this one either. you lot are every bit as bloody bad as the sun.

• Scott H11

May 9, 2008 at 11:00 PM

I doubt we’ll ever find out everything that was discussed at the meeting but the timing came after his comments. ‘Summoned’ is an indication he was going to get his arse kicked. Many felt his comments were based on information he received indicating that he will not receive as much cash as he feels he needs to crack the top 4.

• Jim

May 9, 2008 at 11:04 PM

Where do the Mail get their information? I don’t believe that it’s all made up. The latest article is a poor read for Toon fans, casting a very cool shadow over KK’s 3 years in charge.

I wonder if Mike Ashley releases information to the Mail as they always seem to be first to print his feelings and thoughts. Perhaps COLIN YOUNG (the author) is connected.

Can anybody thow any light on this without simply deriding the Daily Mail and foaming at the mouth? I don’t like some of their articles and choose to read them with a pinch of salt, but I still read them.

Comments anyone?

• JC

May 9, 2008 at 11:13 PM

There would f##ken need to be more than £20m available this summer if we are going to make any progress next year. We could potentially use all of that in one transfer ie Veloso.

• jay

May 9, 2008 at 11:17 PM

I dont think any of the daily mail story is true, they claim owen has been talking for 6 weeks about his contract, yet all parties have denied within the last week that talks have even began, that was, according to the mail only the other day one of the main reasons why keegan was so annoyed.

Also if our transfer budget was only 20 mil, then why would we have offered 18 mil on one player??