Keegan Upbeat Following Everton Defeat

Kevin Keegan talked to the Newcastle Journal after the defeat at Everton yesterday afternoon, and seemed very upbeat.

keegan-kevin-734631.jpg

Kevin Keegan – upbeat after Everton defeat

Kevin talked to the Newcastle Journal after the game about his meeting last Friday with owner Mike Ashley and others:

“A statement was put out and I am totally happy with it,” “You shouldn’t doubt a chairman’s statement and I agree with what he said. What’s gone on in the past, this week, we’ve had a meeting, it’s finished.”

“It was a very important meeting, but it’s not what today’s about. Today’s about Newcastle, Everton and a match, which I thought was a good match.”

“It is not about Newcastle United unfortunately. It’s about Everton and David Moyes, how good his team’s been, what a great season they’ve had and just leave us out of it.”

“They had a lot more to play for than us and at times that showed. They’re higher in the table and they are where we want to be, which showed at times.”

“ For 15 minutes in the second half (after Michael Owen equalized with a penalty) I think we had an opportunity to get a foothold in the game and cause a bit of a shock, but we didn’t take it.”

It certainly doesn’t look like Kevin was admonished on Friday at the meeting, from what he says, and he seems back to his old upbeat self, which we’re very pleased to see.

Everton’s win made sure of their place in the UEFA Cup for a second successive year, and they have established themselves as the best team out of the top 4, but they still finished 11 points behind Liverpool in 4th place and 18 points behind 3rd placed Arsenal. Quite a gap.

Since our goal next year is 5th place, and Kevin takes these targets seriously, we will need to make serious changes to our playing squad.

Newcastle were second best yesterday for most of the game – and it was a good game only because Everton came forward and attacked all the time.

Kevin continued:

“I think Everton is an inspiration to everybody. It’s not a massive squad, but it’s been in Europe. They’ve made good investments in the summer, with Yakubu, (Joleon) Lescott, (Phil) Jagielka.”

“They invested wisely and they’ve finished fifth in the Premiership. I reckon that’s a terrific situation for any of the other clubs outside the top four.”

“I’m not going there again, the top four that I thought were running away with it, but I’m now convinced after listening to so many people who know the game that I was wrong – that the same top four teams haven’t won for the last six years apart from one.”

“They’re a good squad, they play together and they’ve played for each other. They’ve got a lot of very good professionals, who can play out of position.”

“Lescott came as a center-half and has played left-back all season and he’s been outstanding. Jagielka could play in midfield at one stage and he’s gone back to the back four.”

“They’re the ones you look at and you say ‘right, if they can do it why can’t we?’ There’s a lot of work to do, but we mustn’t be scared of our work.”

It’s good to see Kevin motivated again, and we on this site have complete faith in his ability to bring Newcastle back to being a top team. But the summer transfer season for us will be critical, and we need to both get rid of some players and being new, better players in.

Don’t be surprised if we let Smith, B’Zogbia, Rozehnal, Ameobi, Diatta and Cacapa all leave in the summer. That’s in addition to Troisi, Ramage and Carr, who were released by Kevin last week.

That’s 9 players potentially leaving. Well it will help the wage bill for sure, but we’ll also need to replace a lot of those players.

• Andy1

May 12, 2008 at 9:48 AM

I can’t see us getting rid of 9. Keegan said last week he would work with the squad we’ve got and add a couple of players. The squad is small so we probably need more in than out.

• Stami

May 12, 2008 at 9:49 AM

i couldnt watch the game! anyone know how Carroll looked out there with the big boys?

• Geordie Gerrard7

May 12, 2008 at 9:52 AM

stami, not too great but who knows ey? it was his first full debut

• Stami

May 12, 2008 at 9:56 AM

oh well, i still have high hopes for him(Carroll) and he is still young! maybe just needs a little more experience in the 1st team!

Ronaldo now shares the record for most goals in the EPL in one season with the Legend Alan Shearer. 31 in a 38 game season! i was most upset when he converted that penalty:(

• Jimmie

May 12, 2008 at 9:56 AM

Well this was The End of this season. Looking forward to a buisy summer in the transfer market and especially for the new season to start with some new blood in the starting eleven.

• Stami

May 12, 2008 at 9:57 AM

i read that Harper had an absolute CRACKER of a game for us! he has been fantastic for us this season!

wonder where Martins was? anyone see him sitting in the dugout?

• Jeff

May 12, 2008 at 10:43 AM

I can understand the thinking behind giving the likes of Cacapa Ramage and Duff a run out but I think its disrespectful to the fans who spend the time and money to go down and give the team great support not to play the strongest possible team and keep them on the park to give the team the best chance of winning the match.

• Jeff

May 12, 2008 at 10:46 AM

I was quite disapointed with Carroll, ive been harpin on about him bein given a chance in place of the utterly ineffective Smith but didnt think he took his chance. We definatly need a Viduka replacement if we wanna keep playin that formation next season. But dont be surprised if Keegan buys players to fit a different formation as I think the 4 3 3 was his very successful attempt to get the best out of what weve got. Im not sure if it fits Keegans philosophy of free flowing football.

• Eric

May 12, 2008 at 11:23 AM

I think we have seen the beginning of the end for Viduka and NUFC. Smith is pure shite and should be shown the coal house door. So, we do need another striker. Carroll may fit in better with more experience. I thought the Gomis episode and price was madness.

• Bill F

May 12, 2008 at 11:24 AM

Give the kid a chance, you can hardly base his future on one game. From what I have seen and heard about the game none of our forwards were that brilliant. I would blame a largely innefective midfield rather than Carroll. Show me a player who is outstanding every game, even players like Messi have off days.
    I wouldn’t disagree that we need more top class strikers though, I’ve been saying that all season.

• Eric

May 12, 2008 at 11:25 AM

I think playing Ramage was a nice gesture and no more. A local lad playing in the stripes for the last time. Fair enough.

• Ian

May 12, 2008 at 11:33 AM

Agree Jeff about Carroll.

I would sell him and pick up the money, it was his lack of speed and effort that worried me the most, we should sell him before Ameobi in case we dont get the players we expect.

If that was your big chance to be a premiership footballer, last game of the season, how much effort would you have put in?

That to me was a snaphot of next season if we have two strikers out, which is bound to happen with Owen and Viduka but Martins cant be bulletproof forever in his career.

• Len

May 12, 2008 at 11:59 AM

Bit of a mixed bag from big Andy. He won a lot in the air and had a couple of decent runs but nothing to show. His lack of urgency / effort was a major concern and reminded me of Strola. Also did not hold the ball up or bring in other players. Playing alongside Smith & Duff cannot be easy. Agree with the point about giving the lads a run out. The days when that was acceptable have long gone.

• Ian

May 12, 2008 at 12:18 PM

PS about Carroll; I wouldnt expect loads of goals or a new superstar striker, but I would have expected effort and being young and enthusiastic covering a lot of ground quickly.

• Leo

May 12, 2008 at 2:06 PM

wasnt that yakubu’s second season at everton?

• Tripp

May 12, 2008 at 5:35 PM

Thought he was at boro last season, wasn’t he?