Various bits of transfer gossip involving Newcastle United today.
- News today that we may be interested in 18 year-old French defender Aristote Lusinga. He is around 5’11” tall and has just turned 18 years old and is currently at French club Nantes. We like the idea of bringing another 4-5 top youngsters to the club in the summer
- News is still circulating on Wearside that Sunderland boss Roy Keane will make a bid for Irish international Damien Duff, his former team mate on the Ireland team, sometime this summer – but we don’t think we want to let Duff go yet.
- News that Kevin Keegan may want to put in a Â£3M bid for Boa Morte, from West Ham. We remember well when Souness was at the club, and we were going to buy this guy for about 6 months, but we didn’t because he was too expensive – that’s when he was then at Fulham.
Keegan and Newcastle may be able to get the best out of Boa Morte where West Ham could not – but he’s hardly the player that would improve our squad much.
- Lots of news today saying that Michael Owen will not take a wage cut to Â£80K/week at Newcastle, and we don’t believe a word of it. Remember, no player at Arsenal makes more than Â£80K a week.
Japan’s JEF United Chiba are said to be planning an audacious swoop for the England striker – well it’s only audacious because it’s so ridiculous.
The J-League club have just unveiled former Liverpool first-team coach Alex Miller as their new manager and believe Owen can solve the team’s current goal-scoring problems. But why on earth would Owen go there?
Also Everton are the latest club who may be interested in Michael, but since they wouldn’t be able to pay Michael even Â£80K/week, that seems nonsense again. So sorry to spoil all these stories. 😀
- The news that Liverpool are being linked with a Â£3M move for Newcastle’s 22 year-old winger James Milner, which has been reported over the last day or two is daft.
We paid more than Â£3M for James, and he’s twice the player he was. The news is that John Arne Riise is going the other way as part of the deal. Give me a break, why would we ever want to let James go?Â But we wouldn’t mind seeing Riise at Newcastle next season.
- Newcastle and Tottenham are said to both be after Richard Dunne. Why do Spurs want every player Newcastle is pursuing? But if that’s true we’d hate to lose a 3rd player in a head to head with the London club.
- Some of our readers reported seeing Peter Crouch in Newcastle yesterday. He’s kind of a big guy to not recognize, but we have no idea of the truth of these sightings.
- A supposedly Â£6M move for Michael Dawson of Tottenham is old news, but Michael should be getting worried that Tottenham are looking to bring in Richard Dunne from Man City, to partner Jonathan Woodgate at the back
That’s about as much as we can take for today.
Take these transfer dealings (or gossip) with a pinch of salt, but you never know – one of them may actually be true one of these days. 😀