The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Newcastle After Sunderland Loan Star Jonny Evans

9:50 am, Friday, May 16th, 2008 by Ed Harrison · 31 Comments

Newcastle United are said to be interested in Manchester United’s Jonny Evans, who has played on loan at Sunderland over the last two seasons.

jony-evans.jpg

Jonny Evans - in demand in the north east

It’s clear that Kevin Keegan needs defensive reinforcements in the summer, and it appears, rather surprisingly, that Evans has emerged as a summer target for the club.

Evans is only 20, was born in Belfast, and already looks a very good player with his performances for Sunderland.

It turns out that Newcastle have been watching Evan’s excellent performances on Wearside, and it looks like they will be in the market if Evans is put up for sale, or even if he is offered on loan again for next season.

The Northern Ireland international fits the bill for young, up-and-coming players that Newcastle want to recruit – and he is said to around £7M in the transfer market, which isn’t cheap.

But if Evans is made available, either on loan or permanently, Newcastle would be interested in a player who proved he is already Premier League class during Sunderland’s fight against relegation this season.

But Barcelona are not giving up their interest in Manchester United’s Spanish prospect Gerard Pique, and reports in Spain claim they want to take the Spaniard back after the Champions League final.

That would certainly complicate the issue of Evans being available.

Evans would like to remain in the North East, if he was made available by the Red Devils. His girlfriend is studying in the area and Jonny seems to have settled well in the area.

Evans will await a decision on his future later in the summer, with the player saying:

“I’m not in control at all of what happens now,”

“I will just go back to Man United and keep my head down. You are not really in control of anything that goes on when you are under contract.”

“If any club wants to bid for me, it is up to them and Man United to decide what happens.”

” I don’t know what is going to happen and I won’t be knocking on Sir Alex Ferguson’s door asking questions because he is in charge and I’m sure he’ll let me know what’s happening.”

Seems like we will not know the situation on Jonny Evans for at least a month or two, and it’s interesting that Newcastle like the player, who has really caught the eye playing for Sunderland.

Tags: Newcastle News · Transfer News and Rumours

31 responses so far ↓

• 1 Geordie Gerrard7 // May 16, 2008 at 9:53 AM

hes not great, especially for £7,00.000 bucks

• 2 Paul // May 16, 2008 at 9:57 AM

7 mil is alot of money, think there is better for that money, plus edgar is just as good.
    What about Aniukov from Zenit good attacking defender ??

• 3 Hamas (51times) // May 16, 2008 at 10:03 AM

Not worth £7,000,000…although if we did get him the Mackems would likely be annoyed so that’s a plus.

• 4 Taiwantoon // May 16, 2008 at 10:03 AM

Havn’t seen enough of him, so I won’t make any judgement here.

But it would surprise me if it is a KK signing. KK has said we need inforcement at the back as we were occactionally forced to play kids at the back this season. (well, No offence to the players, but that’s what KK has said if I am not wrong) Anyway, I thought KK wants someone a bit more experienced.

7M is crazy

• 5 THELONGSHANKS // May 16, 2008 at 10:03 AM

7m get the boat!

• 6 KKK // May 16, 2008 at 10:07 AM

This kid is very good, especially when I’ve seen him play for Northern Ireland. Reminds me of a young Aaron Hughes. Can play all across the back four so could be good defensive cover. 7M might be a bit steep though but that’s probably just media specualtion.

Evans and Taylor as future center-backs would be awesome. We are also being linked with Anton Ferdinand today.

• 7 Geordie Gerrard7 // May 16, 2008 at 10:07 AM

Newcastle United Football Club are planning to raid Serie A to bolster their back four.

Kevin Keegan has made defensive signings his priority during the summer transfer window, and he is preparing to battle Atletico Madrid for the signature of soon to be out of contract Tomas Ujfalusi.

“The time has come to say goodbye,” said the Fiorentina player. “I’m happy that I am popular here, but my mind is made up. I want to try another League which isn’t Serie A or the Bundesliga.”

It is believed that Ujfalusi, 30, prefers a move to Spain, but Keegan will be hoping the lure of the English Premier League will persuade him to head to St James Park instead.

Magpies fans, could Ujfalusi go some way to finally stabilising your back four

• 8 faustino // May 16, 2008 at 10:08 AM

Apparently the nutter at Man City has just chucked the whole squad on the transfer list… I’ll take Elano and Richards thankyou ver much!

• 9 Leo // May 16, 2008 at 10:09 AM

haha love his comments, you can tell he is affraid of alex fergison, scared of the flying football boot

7mil is way too much, why is the news about sahko disapearing, he looked a top defender for the future

• 10 Graeme // May 16, 2008 at 10:11 AM

I think we could probably do better, if we needed such a player!! Seems a lot of money though.

• 11 Leo // May 16, 2008 at 10:11 AM

ujfalusi has said he didnt want to come to the premiership i think,so it might rule us out

• 12 KKK // May 16, 2008 at 10:11 AM

haha heard that too faustino! I’ll take Elano, Petrov, Richards, Dunne and Benjani please.

• 13 Andy1 // May 16, 2008 at 10:15 AM

Let Sunderland waste 7mil on Championship standard rubbish.

• 14 tapir // May 16, 2008 at 10:15 AM

jonny who?

jonny metzelder?
    jonny cuellar?
    jonny dune?

• 15 geordie nick // May 16, 2008 at 10:17 AM

faustino- where did u hear tht bout man city?

• 16 KKK // May 16, 2008 at 10:19 AM

Geordie nick – it was posted on the bbc gossip column, think the story came from the Daily Express.

• 17 Paul // May 16, 2008 at 10:20 AM

Geordie Gerrard7 where did you here about Ujfalusi ??

• 18 faustino // May 16, 2008 at 10:22 AM

Geordie Nick – http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/44612/Firing-squad

Obviously gutter press but it’s not about the Toon so I, for one, fully believe it ;)

Deeks the classic photo of the lunatic though.

• 19 Geordie // May 16, 2008 at 10:24 AM

Signings:

Cuellar / Dunne (One or the other, Don’t need both)

Riise

Veloso

Van der Vaart / Arshavin

Gomis? / Cisse / Anelka

Thoughts anyone….

• 20 Micky Toon // May 16, 2008 at 10:24 AM

£7m is too much for this kid. Plus who do you think Taggart would talk to first? His best mate Keano or Keegan? If Sunderland want him they will get him, probably not for £7m though. Let them have him.

• 21 Davies // May 16, 2008 at 10:34 AM

Not interested in Anelka or Cisse, and Gomis and Cuellar aren’t interested in us. I’ll take the rest though Geordie, as long as Riise knows he’s there for cover, and as long as he doesn’t put the ball in our net….

• 22 Ice // May 16, 2008 at 10:43 AM

Davies- How do you know that Gomis is not interested?

• 23 bo // May 16, 2008 at 11:05 AM

Would have thought keane would be in the driving seat for this players signature. Dont think he would realisticly cost 7m. If we want to progress we need the finished article and not youngsters with potential. 7m would also be a sizeable amount of our transfer kitty gone. Dunne, Shorey.Young pyo lee and maybe Dawson should be the types of defenders we should be looking at.

• 24 Eric // May 16, 2008 at 11:07 AM

Is this the lad who was interviewed by the police about a rape allegation ina Manchester Hotel last year. Only 20 and billed at 7 million. That has got to be bullshite. If he was registered with another non-top 4 club he would be less. No to this crazy deal.

• 25 Obafan // May 16, 2008 at 11:15 AM

I don’t know this kid, but it seems quite expensive.

I like the rumour about Ujfalusi; he would become the leader of our defence and will be a much better prospect than Dunne. I think defenders who succeed in the Italian Serie A are top quality!

• 26 cooldj // May 16, 2008 at 12:00 PM

isn’t he a rapist?

• 27 Geordie Lumberjack // May 16, 2008 at 12:09 PM

I think he could be a good player.

But, he’s got personality issues, and I think that Keane would have the advantage if there were a signing battle.

If KK wants a young defender, we have Edgar, if he wants experience, Evans is def. a no.

Am I the only one that thinks Faye is rubbish? Whenever I see him play he’s playing people onside, not picking up men, generally always out of position. Am I mistaken?

• 28 Thomas // May 16, 2008 at 12:22 PM

would be good but he’s not much older than Tozer and Kadar and only a bit younger than edgar and Taylor. Obviously they can’t all play, and we don’t want unhappy players around. The team needs to be balanced

• 29 big pea ov the weab // May 16, 2008 at 2:49 PM

we dont want this rapist makum hes not all that much better players for that type of money

• 30 Davy C // May 16, 2008 at 6:42 PM

He is a very good and sensible defender and is still very young. Last week the mackems I work with were on about how he managed to cope with the pace of Arsenal in full flow and was also positionally superb as well as just getting stuck in. That’s everything you want from a defender at that age – he will simply get better and better.

Plus, if we get him I will simply laugh and laugh and aforementioned mackems!!!

• 31 Scott H11 // May 17, 2008 at 7:03 PM

Too young and inexperienced to say he’s a £7m player, its a joke. He looks ok but not yet the world beater that he’s being portrayed as by the mackems. Taylor, Edgar and Kadar look every bit as good even though only Taylor is the only one who has been lucky enough to have a run in the team ! I hope we dont buy Evans for £7m !!

previous post: Newcastle Players Away On International Duty