Oba Martins Has Done So Well So Far

Oba Martins is only 23 years old, but he has been at the top for a few years now, and he has some good advice for youngsters coming through the ranks.

oba-martins-2312.jpg

Oba Martins – this photo is one of our favorites and shows Oba’s passion

Martins worked his way through the ranks at Reggina from 2000-2001 as a boy, before moving to Inter Milan in 2001.

At Inter he played in Italy against the likes of Ronaldo, Christian Vieri, Hernan Crespo, Alvaro Recoba and Adriano in Serie A, one of the best leagues in the world.

Oba played 88 times for Inter and scored 28 goals from 2001-2006, before he moved to Newcastle. He’s appeared 64 times for Newcastle so far and scored 20 goals, and keeps getting better and better.

Oba thinks the young Newcastle strikers of the future can do a similar thing.

He talked to the Newcastle Evening Chronicle today:

“I have played with a lot of people, but Christian Vieri and Alvaro Recoba were a big influence on my career.”

“They told me it sometimes isn’t about listening to too many people, but to just play your own game on the pitch.”

“They said if I could do that I would make it in the future. That is what I did and they were right.”

“I would say to any young players to try their best and keep believing in yourself.” “And if you work hard you will go far.”

“When I was younger, I was playing with a football in the street in Lagos with my friends and the coach from my local team came over. He called me over and said ‘Oba, we have a team for you.’”

“I was told I was going to Europe. And I was like ‘Yeah, OK.’” “The next day I was on the plane to Reggina in Italy.”

“I played there and then went to Inter Milan – and the rest is history.”

Oba has done amazingly well already in his career, and once Kevin arrived in January, there were signs that Oba will be doing even better at the club next season.

Keegan is an excellent coach, and will seemingly play to Oba’s strengths, which is to give him a free role and let him run at opposing defenses.

Oba is a real character, and it’s great to have him at Newcastle, and we’re not surprised other clubs would love to have him.

He’s become a very popular guy on Tyneside already, and he could be a key player for Newcastle over the next few seasons,.

We think Oba knows exactly that and is happy at the club. 😀

• Leo

May 16, 2008 at 1:41 PM

“I was told I was going to Europe. And I was like ‘Yeah, OK.’”
    got to love that

obafemi you are invited to go on an expedition to the moon with god,

“YEAH OK”

haha

• Stami

May 16, 2008 at 1:43 PM

he is my favourite player! i think he is absolute magic! here’s to Oba 20+ next season!

• James

May 16, 2008 at 1:44 PM

As much as I love this guy it’s his lack of listening or bad coaching that is frustrating. So often he makes the wrong decision as a striker. Too many times I’ve seen him running at defences (which is great) and screaming for him to cross it to Owen or Viduka who are free in the box, and he just keeps running and blasts it into the side netting. He needs to learn when to release the ball early. Adebayor at Arsenal was exactly the same and Henry used to criticise him for it, but due to good coaching he has now learnt and is looking like a top class centre forward.

Oba is a wonderful talent, but with the right coaching and listening to the right people, he could be a world beater.

• Dirk

May 16, 2008 at 1:48 PM

hasnt oba scored more than 20 goals ed? it was 17 last yr and this season he had 10 so wouldn he hav 27 goals?

• joe

May 16, 2008 at 1:50 PM

Should shut his ears to whatever fsa had to say.

• Hamas (51times)

May 16, 2008 at 1:55 PM

Great player, love him. Oba is a Geordie 🙂

• ObaFan2

May 16, 2008 at 1:55 PM

He is imo the most entertaining player in NUFC and one of the most loved by the fans.

OK he still has alot to learn, KK is the man to move him forward and help to make him a truly great player and future Toon legend.

Oba will thrive on the stability of the club and manager.

Oba is a Geordie 🙂

• ObaFan2

May 16, 2008 at 1:59 PM

79 games ?

27 goals ?

6 assists ?

20 league goals

• Stami

May 16, 2008 at 2:08 PM

on the transfer front! anyone else keen on young Stephen Ireland at City? he has looked good in the last few games of the season. the lads got steam, and he is only 21!

• Graeme

May 16, 2008 at 2:12 PM

Oba can become a legend on Tyneside, like pedro, jimmy smith, shearer, Supermac etc.

Would still love to see him playing off a genuine CF though. I think it would improve his strike rate immensely.

• Richard

May 16, 2008 at 2:21 PM

need to get the OBA IS A GEORDIE SONGS on the go!! he will love that!!! inspire him!! i love the fella hes young, quality and a danger!!

• domtoon

May 16, 2008 at 2:43 PM

23….yeah – right!

• emantoon

May 16, 2008 at 2:52 PM

well..he’s the no 9 after all

• Nev

May 16, 2008 at 4:33 PM

probably the most popular player at newcastle for a while
    nobby was up there but oba is oba 😛
    i love him … i rate him at least 4 times more owen

• matthewt

May 16, 2008 at 4:37 PM

Don’t ever let Oba leaves.
    He has excellent ability and what’s more? He has heart to play for newcastle which is very important.

• Ian

May 16, 2008 at 4:52 PM

Brilliant player, fantastic personality and nothing phases him, it doesnt matter to him if it is Charlton or Chelsea in front of him and that was what I love about the guy, the big matches dont get to him he cuts through the likes of Chelsea the same as any other team, other players seem to change when they face big name teams and show them to much respect in fact sometimes almost adoration of their players.

To me he is the single most important player on the team as his personality and determination rubs off on the team and with Martins you just never know, one pass and the game can change.
    The more Martins stays in one position with only slight change around him the more he will improve, Sam tested his patience by moving him about and not playing him, he was out with the ANC and a slight injury and still he scored 10 goals and he still isnt playing straight through the centre which is his prefered position.

The only player I would be devastated to see leave the club. If Cisse came here those two would be unstoppable.

• Petworth Mag

May 16, 2008 at 5:05 PM

I’m a fan of Steve Ireland. I’ve read he’s available for 7M and most likely heading to the stadium of shite. Defo worth a bid.

From city I’d have him, Micah and that Korluka fella.

• Nate

May 16, 2008 at 5:39 PM

I agree that he is one of the most important players right now, has so much potential that if he just continues to mature a bit he could be one of the best strikers in the league. The idea that Fat Sam wanted to sell him last summer is unbelievable.

• stk

May 16, 2008 at 6:39 PM

Martins will be a legend if he keeps it up for another few seasons, even more so! i can’t believe we are as lucky to have him at our club, top quality!

• lee

May 16, 2008 at 6:55 PM

martins is brilliant the best thing about him is his passion for the club yes he has his critics including the likes of alan shearer but he is young and doesnt need to become a legend because he already is

and also we should all try to get the oba is a geordie song going going it would give him so much pride and confidence to know that the fans thimk of him the same way he thinks of us

• gallowgate31

May 16, 2008 at 8:34 PM

Oba is just great,

he does the difficult stuff with ease and the easy stuff with a hell of a lot of difficulty..

for me thats entertainment, and with a bit of guidance he could be truly great, ( not often arse wenger gets it wrong ).

I reckon that FSA has dampened his spirit enough that he tries to score whenever he gets the slightest of chances, if only to appeal to the fans.

I seem to remember that Emre brought out the best of Oba, some great link up play…. would give my right arm to see Arshavin putting the balls through for him and the others.

lets sing him a song, Oba is a geordie ! it meant so much to Tino, and i reckon Oba would love it too.

• Thomas

May 16, 2008 at 9:53 PM

Oba Oba Oba!

• gallowgate31

May 16, 2008 at 10:00 PM

mind u his current song is a classic…

23 or 28
    5ft1 or 6ft2

OBAFEMI MARTINS !

Classic……..

• Toooooooooooooooooon

May 17, 2008 at 2:10 AM

We keep saying MO is our best striker, but I think martins is the key player for us. He got 2 great feets, can win header, fast pace – what else do u need?