Nobby Backs Keegan For Big Success

Nobby Solano thinks Kevin Keegan can get Newcastle back to the European Champions League, even if Kevin himself has his doubts.

nolberto-solano.jpg

Nobby Solano – thinks Keegan can do it

Nobby talked to the Evening Chronicle today:

“Of all the memories I have of Newcastle United none are better than the Champions League, and I do not see why my old club should not get back into it under Kevin Keegan.”

“Obviously, I wasn’t around when he was at St James’ Park as a manager the first time and I don’t really know him.”

“But when I was on the bench against Newcastle at Upton Park at the end of the season I watched him closely, especially when West Ham were two goals up.”

“He clearly still had faith in his team and, just as important, his players all had faith in him.”

“To tell the truth, I cannot remember many teams in the Premier League coming back after being two goals down.”

“But Newcastle did that day, and in the end they could even have won it and a lot of it was down to the impact Kevin Keegan had on them.”

Solano was a big favorite on Tyneside, but he arrived about 6 months after Kevin left the club. Kenny Dalglish brought him in during the summer of 1997, along with Shay Given.

But Nobby says he had some of his best times in the Champions League under the great Bobby Robson, when Bobby managed the club so well.

Nobby continued:

“I have had a good career and one of the highlights has to be that season five years ago under Sir Bobby Robson.”

”I was on the bench when Craig Bellamy almost beat Feyenoord on his own to take us through to the next stage.”

“And I played in the San Siro when we came away disappointed at just achieving a 2-2 draw with Inter Milan on their own ground.”

“I am a West Ham player now and my ambitions are all with them, but I would love to see my old team back in the Champions League.”

“If there is one man who can take them there, that man is Kevin Keegan, although it is going to be very difficult for anyone to break the current top-four monopoly.”

Newcastle fans will be able to welcome Nobby back to St. James’ Park next year, and he will always be a favorite on Tyneside.

And it seems that feeling is reciprocated as he said:

“Wherever I am in the world I will always have a place for Newcastle in my heart.”

Comments very welcome.

• Geordie Gerrard7

May 17, 2008 at 1:35 PM

ahhh nobby why cant you be young, i love you. you could be the man we all want now, a creative midfielder worth every penny of his money and more

• Leo

May 17, 2008 at 1:38 PM

AND WE ALL LOVE YOU NOBBY

some things need to be said in capitals and that is one of them, i remember when he left for aston villa, i was gutted almost shed a tear too

• Geordie Gerrard7

May 17, 2008 at 1:42 PM

for a measly 1.5 mill wasnt it? he was once linked with madrid for 15 million pounds. anyone remember

• Mad_Magpie

May 17, 2008 at 1:43 PM

What a legend. We could do with his technical ability now, especially his set pieces compared to Geremi

• Geordie Gerrard7

May 17, 2008 at 1:55 PM

anyone make sense?

• scottish mag

May 17, 2008 at 1:57 PM

we have approached the new nobby solano,

Juan Carlos Marino

• Geordie Gerrard7

May 17, 2008 at 1:59 PM

hes not very good, so he cant be the new nobby

• Mad_Magpie

May 17, 2008 at 2:00 PM

It mentions Galatasaray and Emre’s agent. I wouldn’t be surprised to see him go back to Turkey

• Bill F

May 17, 2008 at 2:12 PM

And to think he was a crap full back (not my words , the words of other players at the time) when he first came to us. Just goes to show you have to give players a chance to settle in. I never expected him to leave after he came back from Villa and I don’t think he is as appreciated at WH as he was here.

• Geordie Gerrard7

May 17, 2008 at 2:18 PM

bill f, its about his family isnt it, thats why he went. no they dont, in his heart i think nobby thinks he is still a toon player

• Bill F

May 17, 2008 at 2:26 PM

Geordie, yeah I realise that, bloo*y shame wasn’t it. I reckon we could have finished up higher in the league if he had stayed. Having said that we might not have lost so many games under FS which meant we could still have him as manager, bad!!

The footy gods move in mysterious ways. 😉

• Geordie Gerrard7

May 17, 2008 at 2:31 PM

lol, im pretty pleased with how this season has ended up after all, i thought we were going to get relegated at one point

• african-kenyan-ronniezog

l
    a
    n
    o

• macitect

May 17, 2008 at 5:37 PM

Glad to hear this from Nobby. He has no reason to BS the club supporters now, so I feel like I can give some credence to what he says.

I think that KK can bring us back up to CL, and that outburst after the Chelsea match was partly to bring everyone back down to earth and partly frustration after being beat by such a clearly strong team (not to mention the Modric affair).

I wish Nobby well in every endeavour that doesn’t put him in direct competition with NUFC… 😉

• Thomas

May 17, 2008 at 7:54 PM

the one and only geordie latino!!

• Hamas (51times)

May 17, 2008 at 9:36 PM

Solano was my favourite Toon player after Shearer, was really gutted when he left last summer. We still love you though Nobby.

• Nobby's dad

May 17, 2008 at 9:42 PM

As Nobby’s dad my heart was fit to burst when he played for the Toon. A father loves all of his children…..but Nolberto made me so proud, he was a genius. Always in out hearts Nobby a true Toon legend!

• Newcastle United.

May 17, 2008 at 10:03 PM

I love nobby me like, What a legend.

• Rem

May 17, 2008 at 10:13 PM

Geordie Gerrard7 the title is emre is returning.

its saying how galatasaray want emre back. and just saying he will.

• Rem

May 17, 2008 at 10:17 PM

its saying emres agent met with some1 for galatasaray (adnan) and adnan says they want emre, even if its on loan.
    and emres agent said they thinks thats fair, and would considfer it.

I think its some guy making it up in his blog.