Peter Ramage – Proud Born and Bred Geordie

Peter Ramage, the Ashington-born defender made 69 appearances for his home town club, and he epitomized the true Geordie spirit, whenever he pulled on the famous black and white striped shirt.

peter-ramage-99.jpg

Peter Ramage – always epitomized the Geordie spirit

Peter gave his last interview to www.nufc.co.uk last week, and the the 24-year-old spoke of his pride at having played for his boyhood team.

“All I ever wanted to do was play for Newcastle United and it was a dream come true when I made my debut against Olympiacos,”

“I’m incredibly proud of what I have achieved at the club. It will be weird playing for another team because I’ve been with Newcastle for 13 years, but at the same time I’m very excited.”

Peter of course was given an emotional send-off during his final appearance at Everton on Sunday, thanks to Kevin Keegan, and he threw his Newcastle shirt to the traveling fans.

Peter continued:

“I’d like to thank the fans for their support over the last few years,” “They really are the best in the world.”

“When young lads come through they really look after you.” “Whenever you are out and about in town they always wish you well and they have been absolutely brilliant.”

“But I’m one of them now and I’m going to try to get to as many matches as possible – I might even join the London supporters branch!”

Ramage has signed a three-year deal with the now ambitious Championship side QPR, and he explained why he decided to leave his home town club:

“Newcastle United is all I have ever known and it was the hardest decision of my life to leave,”“But the chance to play regular football elsewhere was too hard to turn down.”

“I sat down with the gaffer and he said I probably would get my chance next season but he could not guarantee it.”

“I can’t argue with that because the way the lads have been playing recently I don’t think anyone can get in the team.”

“I’m 24 years old and I have missed the last months of the season with injury. That was very hard and I couldn’t afford to miss another big part of a season.”

Peter is a really great guy, and Kevin found out quickly that he is all heart and spirit. Peter has left Newcastle to play regular football and he was worried about this even 3 years ago when he signed his final contract for the club, when Graeme Souness was manager.

But Peter wants to play regularly and earn his money the old fashioned way, and he would be in and out of the side at best at Newcastle, if he stayed.

Far better for him to play week in and week out, and we think Peter will do very well indeed at QPR.

We’ll be following Peter’s progress in the future, as we do with all our local boys who played for the club, and we wish him the very best – and thank him for his contribution to the club. That’s the very least he deserves.

And Peter will get a great welcome from the fans when he returns with QPR to St. James’ Park, once they secure promotion, that’s an absolute certainty on both counts. 😀

• geordie_jordan

May 17, 2008 at 11:02 AM

brill. we love you peter. good luck in the future

• Leo

May 17, 2008 at 11:12 AM

good lad, i never thought he would have been at the club for 13 years, thats an amazing amount of time for a 24year old

• Whitey

May 17, 2008 at 11:14 AM

I truly believe that if he performs well in the near future he will be back to partner Steven Taylor at the back.

Would be great to have two geordie centre backs.

• Hamas (51times)

May 17, 2008 at 11:19 AM

As I’ve said a few times before, good luck at QPR Rambo.

• SuperShearer

May 17, 2008 at 11:21 AM

I think Peter had horrible luck this season. He wasn’t always great for us but a very capable squad player. I seem to remember that at what point Mr. Wenger was interested in him. I hope he does brilliantly at QPR and maybe I’ll see him round London now that he is down here with me….it’ll be nice to have another Geordie down here with us, we’re in a horrible minority in the South!

• OzZyMagpiE

May 17, 2008 at 11:25 AM

lol leo i wanted to say da exact same thing with juz a lil words diff… n i also started with ‘good lad’

• Hammy

May 17, 2008 at 11:49 AM

I work with his uncle, a Man City fan (sorry Kevin) and Peter has been a great role model for young fans, he’s never been in any bother and always gives 100%.

Good luck at QPR.

• leather

May 17, 2008 at 11:58 AM

What is all this about, every 3 days or so we lament the departure of one of the most ordinary players we have witnessed. He won’t be back here, the nearest he will get is Hartlepool. This has got to stop’ yes he was a local lad but not good enough. -end of.
    Are there no stories out there Ed? please put this to bed.

• Proud to be Black & White formaly know as John

May 17, 2008 at 12:00 PM

brillant Lad..Hoep he gets back in the prem with QPR next year….

He’s the type we need at the club..Got a great heart and loves playing for the toon…

• Proud to be Black & White formaly know as John

May 17, 2008 at 12:03 PM

Leasther..you a mackem or somethig..Jesus christ will you acknowledge some loyalty the guy has given….

He’s proud to put on the black and white Jersey..Thats good enough for me regardless if he was’nt good enough..

He’s got the attitude that many off our players lacked this year

• Paul Readman

May 17, 2008 at 12:06 PM

Sorry to say, but the lad was a liability. Have you people forgotten that he dropped more blobs than Bramble and thats saying summat!

Just because he is a good lad and a geordie shouldn’t cloud peoples judgemant of him as a pro footballer. He is a Championship class player and will do well in that league.

• leather

May 17, 2008 at 12:16 PM

No i am not a mackem or something i am sick of the same story and out pouring of grief. I think he was loyal and hard working great give him a gold watch and say thanks. But to constantly re-hash this story is crazy.We should look forward not backwards. That is our problem,you still get people bleating on about Ginola leaving. There is nowt we can do. We should look to signing great players not live in the past. Also I fail to see why i would be a mackem, I did’nt slag the lad off just said what he is ordinary. I could go on all day about ordinary players-like our 1st choice midfield etc.

• Geordie Gerrard7

May 17, 2008 at 12:48 PM

i remember wenger being intrested in ramage

• CRAIGG

May 17, 2008 at 12:57 PM

Yes and this is the last time i will say this Good luck Ramage and hope you come back on day like Robbie Elliott and Lee Clark.

• joel

May 17, 2008 at 1:05 PM

Can anyone get some news about bafetimbi gomis,(I mean like news from today!)

please anyone!

• scottish mag

May 17, 2008 at 1:05 PM

newcastle have approached a preuvian player called Juan Carlos Marino

here is a video 4 u of him scoring a peach

• neil inthepeth

May 17, 2008 at 1:14 PM

im sorry but ramage is so far out his depth at prem level,personally cant believe he has earned so many contracts at club. what are fans thinking of building him up to be something hes not. ask yourself the question how many prem leauge teams he would get in ? answer big fat 0 ! good luck for the future peter, you ll need it!

• yahya ahmad

May 17, 2008 at 5:15 PM

good luck ramage! atleast he’s shown my loyalty than tight-ass bramble and never made mistakes!

• Toon_Ksk

May 17, 2008 at 5:31 PM

Ramage, if you are reading this,

Good luck! I hope you will wear the black and white shirt again. At the same time, your time at QPR is a good time for you to improve. Don’t just aim for play-time, work hard and aim for the England squad. Hard work > Talent

• TooooooN

May 17, 2008 at 7:07 PM

He play at CB,RB and LB and he never dissapoint us whenever he play…he is one of the players who pay with all his heart

• Gary Mac

May 18, 2008 at 9:04 AM

“and never made mistakes!”
    “aim for the England squad.”

Let me guess, you lads do not attend Newcastle United games do you?
    LOL!

• Exiled Geordie

May 18, 2008 at 9:50 AM

The lad always give his all,never quite good enough but his attiude was superb and if a few of our other players showed the same passion and desire we would be alot higher up the league,good luck to the lad.

• CRAIGG

May 18, 2008 at 10:07 AM

Gary Mac

I attend matches and i agree he did make mistakes and he’ll never play for England but i still liked his effort and commitment he always tried his absolute best and never pulled out of a tackle

For that i liked him and he would have been good back up.

• neil inthepeth

May 18, 2008 at 5:06 PM

well said gary mac , these so called fans never attend sjp or like many who attend have never played at any level of the game! ramage is no better than cauldwell and we all know where he ended up!