Sir Bobby Robson Foundation Reaches £500K Target

It took just eight weeks for The Sir Bobby Robson Foundation to reach its first stated goal.

bobby-robson.jpg

Sir Bobby Robson and Lady Elsie

Fantastic support from the general public, together with contributions from Sir Bobby and his friends, have already raised more than £500K, which will be used to set up The Sir Bobby Robson Cancer Trials Research Center at the new Northern Center for Cancer Care in Newcastle.

This is being reported today by the Newcastle United Official site and we are only too pleased to help get the word out.

The Research Center will include a 12 bed unit with treatment rooms, a state-of-the-art laboratory and consulting facilities, all of which is being constructed by the NHS Trust at the Freeman Hospital.

Sir Bobby said today:

“It truly has been an amazing week for my wife and I.”

“We started off down at Wembley where I presented the FA Cup and now here we are having achieved our first fund raising target for the Foundation.”

“It meant a huge amount for me to present the cup but I’ll be even more proud to hand over that cheque for £500,000.”

“To raise so much money, in such a short time, is a fantastic achievement and I’m very grateful for all the support we’ve had to help make it happen. But there’s still so much more we can do and we’ll keep on going just as long as we can.”

Donations and messages of support for Sir Bobby have been coming in steadily via the Foundation’s website, while the recent fundraising dinner at St James’ Park raised more than £80K for the charity.

Some additional events are planned in the future including a golf day at Matfen Hall on 13th June and a sponsored walk in Sir Bobby’s Durham home town of Langley Park.

Sir Bobby added:

“We set off to do a job on behalf of my oncologist Dr Ruth Plummer and I’m happy knowing we’re doing something practical to help the experts beat this terrible disease – not just for the benefit of local people who are battling cancer now, but for the future too.”

“We’ve reached our first goal and the money left over after the new Cancer Trials Center is set up will go towards other cancer related projects in the North East which we’ll announce soon.”

“There are still a lot of dedicated people out there fund raising and we’ll keep going because every single penny raised will help fight cancer.”

“Lady Elsie and I will sign each and every check on behalf of the Foundation and we will spend the money very wisely.”

The Sir Bobby Robson Foundation will initially focus on the early detection and treatment of cancer, and will also help support clinical trials of promising new treatments to fight the disease.

To make a donation, view messages of support, or for more general information on The Sir Bobby Robson Foundation, please visit here.

You can also donate by sending a check to

Sir Bobby Robson Foundation,
PO Box 307,
Heaton,
Newcastle Upon Tyne, NE7 7QG.,
ENGLAND

All donors will receive a personalized certificate and a letter of thanks from Sir Bobby himself.

Please support Bobby’s Foundation if you can – many thanks!

• MunichToon (Hamas)

May 22, 2008 at 11:10 AM

Sir Bobby hates Man United

• Marty

May 22, 2008 at 11:20 AM

Fantastic,Way to go Sir Bobby.
    Your the man!!!!!!!!

• THELONGSHANKS

May 22, 2008 at 11:24 AM

nice one bobby!

• Bob

May 22, 2008 at 11:49 AM

Great news

• Leo

May 22, 2008 at 12:23 PM

well ive done my bit, maybe the club can use joey bartons wages to give some to this great cause

• Bill F

May 22, 2008 at 12:34 PM

You know what piss*s about this sort of thing is that it shouldn’t have to depend on Sir Bobby or us to get the funds for our health care. We pay out a fortune on direct and indirect taxes, more than any other first world country and probably have one of the worst health systems in the world on a pro rata basis.
    Sorry if that sounds as if I am putting down his efforts I’m not but it’s sad he has to do it.

• Leo

May 22, 2008 at 12:44 PM

i know what you mean Bill F, im lucky enough to never have needed the hospital for my own self since i was 4 and some big kid thought it wud be funny to tell me lupin seeds were like pea’s so i ate them and nealry died haha, but i took my bro to the hospital after an injury during football he sat for hours with his shoulder out of place and no one to help him…

ps, i have been to the quacks and they think i might just have done something to the tendons, i think thts what they said, but they have booked me in for an xray to make sure.

• Bill F

May 22, 2008 at 4:17 PM

Leo, sounds like you may need some physiotherapy, which should come the National health remit. It was sensible to have it looked at now as it could save ongoing problems at a later date.

As for my earlier statement just in case any one thinks I am a bit of a wingeing bas*ard. I think a lot of charities do a great job and I have lots of admiration for those who do it. I do in fact contribute to various charities but I do feel the government opts out of many of its responsibilities on the strength of dedicated charity workers such as Sir Bob who do a great job.

• gallowgate31

May 22, 2008 at 9:47 PM

Well Here is my thought….

On the first home game of the season I am gonna start the song “there is only one Bobby Robson”. He deserves it.

I have family going through the same thing, granted for the first time, but the treatment seems to be first class and Sir Bobby is giving the cause some much needed awareness aswell as the money and facilities that will only benefit us as a Geordie nation.

He is one great man, my only regret is that he wasn’t our manager after the first Keegan era.

I hope you will all join in with me and pay the man some well deserved respect.

• gallowgate31

May 22, 2008 at 10:08 PM

Great idea about Joey (Bar)ton’s wage, that would raise a few quid for a worthy charity..

He has the time to read all of this as well !