Aston Villa Bid £7M For James Milner

The People is reporting today that Aston Villa boss Martin O’Neill has made a £7M bid for Newcastle’s 22 year-old James Milner.

james-milner-321.jpg

James Milner – £7M bid from Villa

But the news says that Newcastle are holding out for more.

We hope not, since losing Milner would not exactly go down well with Newcastle fans.

Newcastle revealed yesterday they had agreed terms with Fenerbahce for their Turkish midfielder Emre, and the last thing fans want to see is an exodus of our current squad.

Keegan has already said it’s a good squad so we’d be surprised to see Milner leave and the boy is very happy on Tyneside.

O’Neill has long chased Milner, who spent one season on loan (2005-2006) at Villa earlier in his career, when he appeared 33 times for the midlands side and scored 3 goals.

The People is saying that Newcastle want £9M for James and claim that other clubs such as Everton are interested.

The report suggests that O’Neill will give Newcastle a couple more weeks before moving for another Premier League winger.

We wouldn’t be too happy to see Milner go because we think not only is he a good player, but Kevin can now start to get the very best out of him.

We should be buying and not selling this summer.

• Dave

Jun 1, 2008 at 10:18 AM

Why do I get a gut feeling we are becoming a selling club, especially where you here “Buy them young, so their resale value will be highrer”.

• figsdad

Jun 1, 2008 at 10:27 AM

Snap there hands off with 8mil or 9mil

its ok turan coming anyhow…

• wrighty

Jun 1, 2008 at 10:35 AM

I agree figstad, just because he’s a young player doesnt mean that he’s a permanent fixture in our team. I think he’s a great player, but lacks something that could turn a game in our favour – a vey solid player, always gives 100% and young; sometimes those attributes aren’t good enough and we need to aim higher.
    It’s a shame as I like Milner, but if we can get 8-9mil for him, and that will fund an another quality winger, then great!

• toonarmy08

Jun 1, 2008 at 10:36 AM

figsdad-agreed i would accept 8mill 4 james .Have you heard something on turan or are you just been optimistic?

• Marat18

Jun 1, 2008 at 10:39 AM

we will have good 5-a-side team nest year
    —-Harper—–
    Beye—-Taylor
    ——Butt——
    Owen—Martins

just kidding, I’m sure Keegan will not let us down.

• Paul R

Jun 1, 2008 at 10:43 AM

Marat18 You made me laugh !! its the only thing that has made me laugh today on here all depressing news !!

• Marat18

Jun 1, 2008 at 10:45 AM

as for Milner,
    as far as I like the lad, he isn’t likely to progress.
    when everybody talked about his U21 most caps record, i thought that it’s not the record to be proud of. You play for U21 for season or two, then you have to progress to national team. If you don’t then something wrong wit you.

• euanpolo

Jun 1, 2008 at 10:46 AM

Why are we selling players like Milner and Emre when we could be selling players like Cacapa, Rozehnal, Smith, Barton etc.

• The Entertainers

Jun 1, 2008 at 10:47 AM

This one would disappoint me if we sold Milner. He is one of Englands better players at his age. The under 21’s played fantastic last summer in there tournament, almost winning it, with Milner and Taylor instrumental. I agree 8m sounds a great price, but would’nt we have to spend that or more on his replacement? The other side of Milner is his verstility, he played up front for Leeds, now i’m not saying he could do that here, but he could play right midfield in a 4-3-3 set-up, his work rate is the best at the club….

• Marguerite

Jun 1, 2008 at 10:54 AM

Still chucklin’ Marat18 – lke your style.

At the risk of my fellow bloggers giving me grief again, I wold not mind us selling him providing we can get decent money. You cannot fault the lad’s endeavour and his desire to improve but I think he is one paced, cannot cross and I think he is as good as he is ever going to be.

On another point I also read that Villa were looking to buy Giourkas Seitaridis (a right back I was very keen for us to go after last summer) has anyone heard if he is available?

I was shouted down by my fellow bloggers as Belleti’s name was constantly being mooted and I had the audacity to say I did not rate him!!

• Johnboy

Jun 1, 2008 at 10:57 AM

People have a short memory in football.
    Two seasons ago James milner was our player of the year.
    Now, after one shaky season ppl are sayin he wont improve & cant take the team forward.
    But who DIDNT have a shaky season??

• Hamas

Jun 1, 2008 at 11:01 AM

So the plan is to sell any player older than 21 and then bring in a team of 18-year-olds for a year or two until we can move them on for a higher price to line Ashley’s pockets. You can never trust a southerner.

Prove me wrong Ashley, prove me wrong.

• ToonKing

Jun 1, 2008 at 11:07 AM

for 9 mil ?? i’ll drive Jimmy myself. for that money we can get someone better.

• Leo

Jun 1, 2008 at 11:07 AM

think about this

milner 7mil gone possible
    nzogbia 3.5mil haha gone possible
    smith 25pence gone rangers
    emre 8mil gone fenerbache
    jailbird gone- jail season long loan haha

leaving us with

geremi butt

and thats it!!!

lualua isnt quite there yet but at this rate he will have to be getting himself ready soon

• UTD111

Jun 1, 2008 at 11:08 AM

Hopefully there is nothing here but a press story which is speculation presented as fact. We should be building our squad not selling it. The inaction so far by Wise and his team of experts is a cause for concern – although I have to say if I was a top player and Clarence the cock-eyed cockney approached me, I’d take one look and go elsewhere too.
    I’m also disturbed by the close relationship between our new heirarchy and that of Tottenheim. “We” seem to scout players and then Spurs sign them. Hmmm……..

• AVMark

Jun 1, 2008 at 11:09 AM

Average tryer, dont know why you guys (or our guys) rate him so highly. He doesnt score enough because he lacks pace to get behind defenders. I hope you and the Villa go out and buy much better players

• craig chisholm

Jun 1, 2008 at 11:15 AM

i dont mind milner going IF we get in a better player!! the thing is though – will we?? I have not seen anything is ashleys reign to suggest that he even remotley wants to invest in players. maybe he is saying to keegan, ok, get rid of the dross and then you can buy the players you mention. i would rather keep milner and ditch that donkey smith though. i hear we are in for risse from liverwank………i know some dont like him but for me, he is a class player and better than anthing else we have for that slot thats for. also, dump viduka and get crouch – he is class even though he looks like a baby giraffe. glad emre has gone and if its 8 million it could be regarded as an amazing bit of business!!.

• Ashton

Jun 1, 2008 at 11:23 AM

He played very well for aston villa when he was on loan maybe his style of play suit villa more than newcastle

• NUFCFAN

Jun 1, 2008 at 11:36 AM

8-9 Million thats unbeliveable business.

you cant argue he should stay if that came in. An record holder for the under 21s who still hasnt made the step up.

We should be celebrating. Not that i am huge fan of SWP, but if they are wanting 10 for him puts it in perspective.

• villafan

Jun 1, 2008 at 11:43 AM

i’m a villa fan and i’d be quite pleased if we got milner but not for 8 million!
    i’d pay no more than 6 million for him!
    milner’s good but he isn’t worth more than 6 million!
    if you think about it, ashley young was 8 million and milner is nowhere near as good as young!

• dave

Jun 1, 2008 at 11:44 AM

dont even think about selling him to anyone
    i prefer him a lot more on the right then i do with useless geremi

• sas1

Jun 1, 2008 at 11:47 AM

The People? Come on, are you really giving this rubbish more than a seconds thought? Although the headline here is a tad sensationalist.

• Punk Skunk

Jun 1, 2008 at 11:55 AM

Y’dead right Marguerite,
    probably what he’s worth!..
    …I think we sometimes under value the players we have…£7/9m seems about right…He’s young, english, experienced, GREAT attitude, say no more!..& liverpoo & the villans want him!..We must have some irons in the fire then, to let him & Emre go…Btw, LOVE that we did the Emre deal without any snoozepapers knowing jack…Ha!..So, y’never know this Milner thing may be paperslavver?..
    …Let’s just pray to the football gods that somethin’ good is about to happen!..
    …Ho’way the Lads!..

• Sav

Jun 1, 2008 at 11:57 AM

ÃŒ’ve always thought that Milner could make a class RB. He’s a grafter, a team player, runs like a Honda 50, tough as boot leather and can do some serious damage near the opposition penalty area with the ball at his feet.
    Everone says he has so far lacked that killer pace and cross you want from an out-and out winger but a versatile fit young grafter who I doubt is on anywhere near top dollar at the Toon.

• T.O.Mag

Jun 1, 2008 at 12:07 PM

I don’t think you’ll find a better player than James for the money we’ll sell him for.
    He’s tried and tested in the premiership, hard working, quick enough , skillful, and settled in the North East.
    He’ll be an England regular soon playing Left or right Midfield, and he’s only 22.
    Surely he can’t be on that much money to have to sell, and surely we dont have to sell to raise 8 or 9 million.

• Bill F

Jun 1, 2008 at 12:21 PM

Leo I was going to say something similar but you beat me to it. If we add Owen to Liverpool, Martins to Arsenal, then we are going to be lucky to have a five a side squad. (As someone has already said looks like we will sell anyone if the price is right)
    Marguerite you weren’t alone in not wanting Belletti I think there was a few of us said the same. Having said that he hasn’t done bad at Chelksi and we may just have made the wrong call there.

• Punk Skunk

Jun 1, 2008 at 12:22 PM

Couldn’t this be a classic case of ‘Buy ’em young, move ’em on for big bucks’, while they’re still young & farther developed?..That many mention arse etc do?..

• NUFCFAN

Jun 1, 2008 at 12:35 PM

so it looks like – goodbye

Emre, Duff and milner in the space of a week.

Has to be something coming in next week

• najikhin

Jun 1, 2008 at 12:59 PM

at this rate,wont be that surprise seeing my beloved newcastle united relegated next season.. life is cruel..

• Dondatta13

Jun 1, 2008 at 1:00 PM

This is bad news believe me. Young, English, Versatile and committed to our cause! He’s also a seasoned pro in this league. HIS PROFILE FITS THE BOARDS, SCOUTING TEAM & KK’S CRITERIA FOR NEW PLAYERS EXACTLY!?! For the first time since KK took over all the correct boxes are ticked regarding the player and what the board, scouting team and KK want. THERE ALL IN AGREEMENT if we believe we are looking for young (board & recruitment team) Cheap (seeing as he is ours anyway, Cashley should be happy) and has premiership experience (KK).

So why look to sell?

Add to the mix the 6 plus 5 rule Blatter wants implemented and his value again rises, simply because hes English.

DONT SELL, DONT SELL, DONT SELL!!!

• najikhin

Jun 1, 2008 at 1:03 PM

sorry guys..im really worried right now..i cant see us progressing..sorting out current players’ contract should be our priority ages ago, but it just could not happen for unexplainable reason..damn!! i want to kick MA, dennis wise and co!!!

• tam toon

Jun 1, 2008 at 1:22 PM

Bye then.

• scott9

Jun 1, 2008 at 1:28 PM

keegan will defo not want to loose milner if he is sold i think it will be the boards decision witch would not be good at all

• John

Jun 1, 2008 at 1:32 PM

If we got 8 mill for milner that would be unbelievable business…Lads hes not that good..He can beat a player and then send a cross into the stand..Very over rated….I garuntee that if you spend 8-9 mill on a player in Europe he would be ten times the player milner would ever be.

Also i don’t get why people don’t think Ashley wont spend? We tried to get Modric for like 16 mill and tried to get woodgate for 9 mill…Lads he will spend on the right player…

People go on about our suppose wage cap..If it is 80 grand a week thats still amazing better than any other team out side the top 4..wouldn’t even say top 4 as Arsenal are the same…only pool, united and chelsea can pay more than us…That means no other team can compete with our wage structure

• Egar

Jun 1, 2008 at 2:11 PM

Keep Milner.
    He’s good enough.
    Just needs to work on them crosses.

• AKARUBEN

Jun 1, 2008 at 2:32 PM

As a Villa fan, Id be happy for us to get him. I think he’s dead good. But just so ya know, these are the same people that said we’d bid 13mil in jan to activate the clause in OM’s contract, so my guess is its a load of rubbish.

• Oga

Jun 1, 2008 at 3:28 PM

While Milner is unlikely to set the world on fire, I think he’s a good squad player. It would be better to keep him with our squad so thin.

• Paul

Jun 1, 2008 at 3:57 PM

Keep Milner! As some have said, he can be versatile. Correct me if wrong, but for the England U-21’s isn’t he a CM? Also, some have said that Zog’s best position may be CM too. Maybe if we can sign Turan and Arshavin (although highly unlikely), I would not mind if KK wanted to experiment with a midfield of

Arshavin-Milner-N’zogbia-Turan

and interchange as necessary.
    Sorry, just my ramblings.

• AVMark

Jun 1, 2008 at 5:05 PM

Jeez I just saw another thread on this site – someone says Milner scored 2 and set up 3 last season? He must be one hell of a holding player!

• Dan

Jun 1, 2008 at 6:47 PM

Im a villa fan and i dont want him at our club what has he really done ? His form dropped for you guys towards the end of the season

Id much rather villa stump up and extra few million and sign bentley who is by far better

If Milner was offerd to villa for 3 or 4 million id be happy but for that sort of price he is not worth it 7million is not right for a player who hasnt been playing well if he had a good season for guys 7million would be right but as he didnt 7million is a bit of joke