Make Or Break Time For Edgar Next Season

David Edgar knows that next season for him will be make or break time for his Newcastle United career.

david-edgar-_656441.jpg

David Edgar – make or break next season

The Canadian just turned 21 earlier this month, and has just one year left on his Newcastle contract, and freely admits he is at the stage of his career where he needs first-team football.

Edgar has already been told by Canada’s manager Dale Mitchell, that he has to be involved week in week out to get into the full Canadian side.

The former Canada Under-20 captain made just two starts towards the end of last season for Newcastle, and played well in both games.

He is hoping to have a successful campaign next season, whether that is out on loan to another club, or at Newcastle.

Edgar told the Shields Gazette:

“I’m just looking forward to having some time off now.”

“I’ve had a chat with the Canada coach, and he wants me playing regular first-team football somewhere, so we’ll just have to see where that goes.”

“He wants me playing first-team football before he can bring me in.”

“I’ve been on the bench, and that’s good experience, but he wants me to play first-team football.”

“That’s fair enough – it’s the international team.”

“I think I’ve got what it takes to play there, so hopefully, I’ll get my chance.”

It depends who Kevin Keegan brings in during the summer as to whether we can let David go out on loan.

But David is a good center-back who learns quickly, and he’s more than decent in either full back spot.

He’s never let the side down, and he’s just a great lad, and we have confidence that David can make it at Newcastle.

But at this stage of his career he needs games, and really does need to be playing every week.

• Paul R

Jun 1, 2008 at 10:48 AM

at this rate he may have to play centre midfield !!

• The Entertainers

Jun 1, 2008 at 10:57 AM

Needs games, along with Carroll and our two young keepers. Time to let them lose and see if they can make the grade.

• Leo

Jun 1, 2008 at 10:58 AM

haha maybe thats our plan that he play center midfield for us, keegan was always known for being able to change someones position for the better

• Sav

Jun 1, 2008 at 11:35 AM

You’re just saying that ‘coz he’s a Canuk!

Edgar always looks a good bet to me – in fact I thought his couple of run-outs at LB were better than anything I’ve seen from Enrique tbh. Not to mention THAT goal.

David may have been enjoying life on Newcastle’s Quayside a bit too wholeheartedly so his slow progress from prospect to performer may be down to his own youthful failings but he seems to be knuckling down now. And any kid who never gets his fingers burnt is unlikely to be the one to throw himself in front of a rocket shot or step up in a penalty shoot-out. Good luck and I really hope he makes the grade with the Toon.

– A 3-month Championship loan would crown him.

• dave

Jun 1, 2008 at 11:54 AM

prefer him at cb rather than cacapa

• Geordie Gerrard7

Jun 1, 2008 at 11:54 AM

6 months in the championship would be great, i like young david, imo, he is alot better than that tomkins who plays for west ham. people are raving about that james tomkinson fella, but edgar is better, just needs 2 learn from a great cb

• dave

Jun 1, 2008 at 12:08 PM

could even loan him to a club like hull or west brom so hes stilll getting epl action better than championship football

• Ashton

Jun 1, 2008 at 12:21 PM

yeah tomkinson is bloody awful
    and imo David is too slim for a CB he should do some workout

• Bill F

Jun 1, 2008 at 12:40 PM

I think with the size of squad we might have next season we might be looking to get loan players rather than sending them out.

• Bill F

Jun 1, 2008 at 12:44 PM

And did anyone else think Britains got talent was a joke last night I turned it of in disgust before the actual winner was announced. Looks to me like we have a nation of cultural idiots.

• Tom_Toon

Jun 1, 2008 at 12:49 PM

Bill F, it turned into a farce, britains got talent is basically x factor the second.

• Soren

Jun 1, 2008 at 12:52 PM

Good prospect and needs to get match pratice, probably on loan. Agree with Ashton he needs to beef up and do some workout. According to nufc.co.uk he weighs 70 kg, which is the same as Oba :O

• Scoot

Jun 30, 2008 at 5:40 PM

I know David personally,

He is working out in the gym and believe me he is not skinny its just that he’s about 6ft 2 or 3 and in order to look stocky at that height he will have to be around 14st.

If you saw the size of his Dad Eddie you will see he will fill out very quickly. I havent seen him on the scales but he is over 13st, after all he has just turned 21, wait until he is 25 he will be a BIG CB and his Ice Hockey days have give him the ability to handle the roughest, dirtiest players in the EPL.

I wish him all the best because he is black and White daft and if he had the chance would end his career at NUFC.

Good Luck ED.

• Rubber Guard

Jul 15, 2008 at 11:20 PM

I’d just like to comment about these rumours about David Edgar always being out on the town and going on the drink. Those who matter will know that David takes his car out on weekends and drinks bottled water so lets not put him in the same category as a few others at the club because it is untrue, I’m at a loss to where these rumours come from, perhaps jealousy