Striker Oscar Cardozo Still Interests Keegan

The Portuguese newspaper O Jogo is reporting that Benfica’s striker Oscar Cardozo has been the subject of at least 3 clubs, with one of those clubs being Newcastle United.

oscar-cardozo-45.jpg

Oscar Cardozo – Benfica striker stands just under 6’5″ tall

There was also news in January that Newcastle were interested in the Paraguayan striker, but nothing came of that interest.

Oscar scored 22 goals for the Lisbon club in his very first season in Europe, after his transfer from Newell’s Old Boys last summer for around £7M.

The reports say that Kevin Keegan is eager to take the 6’5″ Cardozo to St James’ Park, but the Portuguese club rejected Newcastle’s offer of almost £20M.

It is also said that Benfica have also rejected approaches from Manchester City and Tottenham, who are said to have offered £12M for the 25-year-old striker.

However, it looks like the Paraguayan is extremely satisfied with life at Benfica and he does not want to leave the club so soon.

Cardozo said yesterday:

“Over the next few days I will know if there is anything, but honestly I am here to win titles, especially the league title.”

“I do not want to think about anything else,”

“I have four years left in my contract, I get along with everyone, and I will only leave the club after being champion.”

Before joining Benfica he played for Newell Old Boys 33 times and scored 21 goals.

Oscar seems more than a decent player, and certainly would add some power up front with his strong heading ability.

£20M also seems to be an attractive offer to Benfica for the player.

• John

Jun 3, 2008 at 1:04 PM

price seems to be a bit on the high side if they have alreay rejected 20mill…What kind off price are they looking for?

• simon toon fan

Jun 3, 2008 at 1:09 PM

All paper talk if we are still trying to trim the wage bill what is the point of us trying to sign one player at 20miilion. doesnt wash with me. the trouble with the toon at the moment is that when they are after someone they seem to dilly dally and bang too late the player has signed for someone else. maybe ashley doesnt want king kev to buy early as we would have to pay wages for nothing for the next 3 months before the season starts what does everyone else think?

• Graeme

Jun 3, 2008 at 1:13 PM

Its all pure speculation. Its probably easier by now to list any class players we havent been linked to in the last 4 weeks!!!

• James

Jun 3, 2008 at 1:14 PM

His release clause is £35 million.

The £20 million bid might have been rejected because it was in installments, whereas the club would sell for £20 million up front.

Terrific talent and glad we are tracking him

• Bill F

Jun 3, 2008 at 1:18 PM

20m we could get Ashton and Crouch for that and still have enough change for a bag of chips.

• Davey G

Jun 3, 2008 at 1:25 PM

Dont really believe we will spend this sort of dosh………….
    However,……I think the one saving grace is that we must have a creative midfielder in the bag!!!
    Other wise the sale of Dick to fenerbache, leaving us even more lightweight in the CM / creative department, and before the EuRO 08 (where his value might rise), is even more ludicrous than it seems??

Is anone else thinking like me???

• Marat18

Jun 3, 2008 at 1:25 PM

does anyone play fantasy football at uefa.com?
    I created nufcblog.com league,
    so, you are welcome to join!
    here is the code: 41293-19957

• sirjasontoon

Jun 3, 2008 at 1:31 PM

prefer Crouch and Ashton for 20m..I agree we dilly dally along in transfers..come on Dennis you cross eyed little taxi driver basher nail a deal !!

Just a quick question…do you think this highly paid recruitment team will sign any targets of any quality..or will we just continully be linked with players but no deals getting done?

• John

Jun 3, 2008 at 1:38 PM

• GREGGS STOTTIE

Jun 3, 2008 at 1:39 PM

I am started to get worried.

Have voices in my head saying.

New Chairman West Ham Supporter
    Head Scout Ex Chelsea Player
    Assistant Manager Ex Spurs Player

Something in my head saying , something a miss at my great club.

Hope I wrong and I am not heading for the bed next to Gazza.

But seems to me their is a rabbit away somewhere ?

• John

Jun 3, 2008 at 1:39 PM

My link did’nt post , but looks like Veloso is on Ac milans list now. There saying it on Sky sports …

Another one bites the dust

• Tom_Toon

Jun 3, 2008 at 1:40 PM

hahahaha, Rui Costa do you job you mug.

• Micky Toon

Jun 3, 2008 at 1:41 PM

Personally, I think the recruitment team are doing a good job. The problem is they don’t have much to offer potential signings. They go out and identify who they want, but when it comes to the crunch no one wants to join us. Wake up everyone we just aren’t an attractive prospect anymore. When teams like Portsmouth are doing better than us then you know something is up. Our position in the table, Keegan as manager and our new lower wage structure are not very appealing. KK managed to sign players off the back of his reputation as a player. That was ten years ago. Todays players have very different heroes. The young players, today, probably have never heard of Keegan.
    It doesn’t make tactical sense to appoint Shearer, but if we are hoping to attract players by using a great former player, then Shearer is a better bet than Keegan.
    We’ve blown it in the manager department and although I will always get slagged off for saying it, I’m still sticking by my opinion.

• Davies

Jun 3, 2008 at 1:41 PM

I’d rather have Ashton and Crouch too. Or Zigic. Not sure what he’s worth though.

I didn’t have time to pick through the other articles. Did GS fan come back on that Turan link that GG7 put up.

I wish I could read Turkish.

• sirjasontoon

Jun 3, 2008 at 1:43 PM

Also if the window is shut how come man u have just signed aaron ramsey for 6 m from cardif ??

We will sign a bag of shite in this window..the new regime will attract the biggest euro pile of shite going as they leave the recruitment to the last few days of the window..come on Ash spend you Fat Billionaire Casino Cock !!

• ToonDaft

Jun 3, 2008 at 1:43 PM

true shame about Velose, i fancied us on that one – fingers remain crossed though

• John

Jun 3, 2008 at 1:48 PM

Davies i think that article was saying we put a 12mill Euro offer for Turan..It works out to be about 9.5million squid..

I seen a post from Gs fan the other day and he said he seen a tv interview with Turan and he said he wants to wait until after the Euro’s before he signs with anyone

• Ian

Jun 3, 2008 at 1:49 PM

prefer Cisse and Crouch if Owen is leaving, want to see big money spent on midfielders who are capable of over 6 goals average per season.

A striker wont make up for our midfield, doesnt matter who it is or how much we pay, we need another 12 goals plus from our midfield.

• John

Jun 3, 2008 at 1:50 PM

From What gg7 was saying before about Veloso I thought we might off been in for a shout..Shame really….

Move onto the next one then on that list

• Geordie Gerrard7

Jun 3, 2008 at 1:53 PM

i havent heard nothing from my little brazilian mate for a long while about veloso, we were really intrested at one point, and had been reported to have made a 15million pound bid. who is to say ac milan link is true

• Leo

Jun 3, 2008 at 1:58 PM

dont really know much about him…

i wish i had the time to watch more football from different leagues

well i suppose the only important league for me is the premiership and newcastle

• Davies

Jun 3, 2008 at 1:58 PM

Sir Jason, have a valuum, take some water, sit down and chill. You’re going to give yourself a heart attack man.

Mickeytoon is right about us being less of an attraction, but I think he’s wrong about what prospects might think of Keegan.

Footballers remember The Entertainers, partly thanks to Shearer (Berbatov used to sleep in a Shearer strip remember!), but they will also remember who was in chrage. Nobody could have missed the fanfare that surrounded Keegan’s return to the club this time etiher.

He is still a respected figure in football, not just in the UK, but all over Europe. The players in our current squad have nothing but good things to say about him, even those who hadn’t heard of him (step forward Mr Martins).

The only problem I see with our recruitment team is that they appear to be approaching players on Keegan’s behalf, as well as finding them for him.

I find Dennis Wies to be utterly charmless, and less likely to get players to St James’ than wor Kev would be if he was going out and speaking these players himself. I can’t imagine little Den has the same enthusiasm for the club as Keegan does either.

Players will come in this close season and everybody needs to just calm down and stop screaming for immediate signings. Not that many teams have done deals at the moment, but at least it looks as if we are putting up some good money offers.

If we haven’t done anything in the next month I’ll start to worry, but most players and clubs are hanging on until after the Euros so they can get better deals.

Let’s just hope Wisey spends some time at charm school in the meantime.

• John

Jun 3, 2008 at 1:59 PM

true GG7…Hopefully its bull and we wake up tomorrow with Veloso wearing the black and white 🙂

• Davies

Jun 3, 2008 at 1:59 PM

Thanks John. Looks like we might have to find an extra couple of mil for Arda then.

• GinolasBestYears

Jun 3, 2008 at 2:09 PM

Spurs have just had a bid accepted for this fella, also Arshavin for 7.5m

• NUFCFAN

Jun 3, 2008 at 2:10 PM

should they not accept that? or am i being stupid – thats a club record transfer for us. Not like we are holding back

someone please tell me why they wouldnt?

• 51 times

Jun 3, 2008 at 2:16 PM

GinolasBestYears – I would hope so, it’s going to be hilarious watching Tottenham do a Leeds and slip away to league 1.

• Sun'lun's Burnin'

Jun 3, 2008 at 2:17 PM

anyone that thinks Veloso will be turning up on tyneside is dreaming!! that lad is a real class act, man u were linked with 20mil bids for him last summer and in jan….so why would he come here? especially when we are not in uefa!!

he will have a solid euros and go to a top champs league club….wouldnt be suprised if he joined the imminent portuguese revolution on the black n blue side of Milano!

Until contracts are signed i wont believe another word of transfer trash that southern journo’s are churning out to keep themselves in jobs!!

• Geordie Gerrard7

Jun 3, 2008 at 2:23 PM

if arshavin went for 7.5, i am roy keane.

• John

Jun 3, 2008 at 2:27 PM

GinolasBestYears link? were did you find that out?

• NUFCFAN

Jun 3, 2008 at 2:52 PM

Spurs are going to be ridic if they get all these players

• Petworth (DC) Mag

Jun 3, 2008 at 3:03 PM

Faqin yid bellends.

Just one, quality, attacking player before Euro 08

Is that too much to ask?

We managed to ship out half a dozen players how about bringing one in????

• Micky Toon

Jun 3, 2008 at 4:42 PM

Davis, you make some good points about Keegan. His enthusiasm for the club cannot be brought into question. His ability to put this across to players also cannot be brought into question. I would rather Keegan was talking to prospective targets than Wise. I think he is a dispicable little man. He is only there for the money and hoping that one day he will be offered the managers job. Why else would he drop Leeds like a hot potato?
    With this in mind, the ideal situation, for me, would be for Keegan to be out there doing the persuading with our “recruitment team” and we appoint a highly regarded tactical coach to run the 1st team.
    I hear Sven is available. 🙂

• chuck

Jun 3, 2008 at 5:02 PM

Think “MICKEY TOON” is right, after all Martins admitted to googling KK to find out who he was, so no great attraction there for younger players.
    The fact Newcastle had a bottom half finish , never mind being out of european competition does`nt add any incentive.
    Face it , any decent signings will not come cheap, but refusing an offer of 20m.for Cardozo,
    just dont believe it, probably paper talk.
    Quiz ! Which player has The Toon NOT been linked with?

• sirjasontoon

Jun 3, 2008 at 5:17 PM

RE Davies:

point taken I have calmed down : )

• The Entertainers

Jun 3, 2008 at 6:08 PM

I’m just happy we are being linked with quality players, who will offer us a presence upfront. To be honest i would love Gomez, but would take your hand off if we we’re offered This guy, Gomis, Crouch, Bent or Ashton……in that order.

• gallowgate31

Jun 3, 2008 at 6:50 PM

Agree strongly with the 12 goals from midfield comment, we are seriously crap in midfield as far as creativity is concerned.

• obamagic

Jun 4, 2008 at 1:30 AM

I prefer Super Mario Gomez!

• clinta

Jun 4, 2008 at 2:28 AM

seems like his settled in portugal where life is simlar to his latin roots, but I must say i’m liking these rumours of south americans coming in, remeber the last lad we got from there? he was alright wasn’t he? nobby someone wasn’t it!

• Macas

Aug 8, 2008 at 11:18 AM

That article about Veloso was from the 3rd June!