Nicky Butt Has Two Years Left At Newcastle

Nicky Butt still has two seasons left on his contract at Newcastle United.

nicky-butt-3454.jpg

Nicky Butt – two years left on current contract

We had thought that Nicky’s contract ran out next summer, but it’s good that he has another two years left at the club.

Nicky is also looking forward to the future, after he finally retires from the playing side of the game.

He talked to the Newcastle Journal today:

“I’ve started my coaching badges because that is something that interests me in the future,”

“I’ve done my first one and I’m halfway through my second one, my A Licence. I don’t want to dive in straight away.”

“I’d like to spend some time with my family at home and do things that I can’t really do now, but in the future maybe.”

“To be honest, I’m not thinking about that at the moment, I just want to play as long as I can. But I’d only play as long as I feel good and OK.”

“I don’t know whether I see myself as a number one or just a coach in the future. I’m just doing my coaching badges because I’d be foolish not to do it.”

“You get given opportunities to do it by the FA and it makes it a lot easier than if you weren’t involved in football. I started doing my badges with a couple of lads when I was at Manchester United.”

“It is difficult to fit it in with all the games you have. And then in the summer you can’t just go away for two weeks and leave your family, but I do intend to get it finished before I finish playing football.”

After an ordinary start to his Newcastle career, Butt has now made himself a popular player at St James’ Park, with his no-nonsense aggressive play and fine passing.

Kevin Keegan has already said that Butt was one of the 4-5 players, whose leadership helped pull the side out of the doldrums in March, and then the lads went on a fine 7 game unbeaten run.

Butt made 35 Premier League appearances last season – and his experience and reading of the game are a joy to watch.

There’s no doubt Butt will be an important player for us next season.

Butt has been capped 39 times by England and played a total of 269 games for Manchester United scoring 21 goals, before moving to Newcastle in the summer of 2004.

Nicky has so far played 84 times for Newcastle United with 5 goals.

Nicky continued:

“I’ve got this year and next year on my contract and if I see that through I will have honored my contract and that’s what I intend to do,”

“Anything more than that is a bonus, but we’ll have to see how my body is holding up. I want to play for as long as possible and I’d like to finish my career at Newcastle United.”

We’re looking for Nicky to be at his very best for us next season, and he has certainly enjoyed playing for Kevin Keegan so far, and played very well indeed for the maestro.

He’s a very mature lad, and his experience will be invaluable to the club, and Kevin, over the next couple of seasons.

• seetow

Jun 5, 2008 at 12:48 PM

wall virginity!

i think he’s a good and committed player but his legs may just be failing him. miight have just one last season in him..

• alex

Jun 5, 2008 at 12:49 PM

The problem is, he is past his best. Last season he was a good player for us but will find it harder to maintain his fitness. We need a replacement for him this summer, definitely by January. The same goes for Viduka, our other veteran.

Am I being right in saying we only have 3 central midfielders: Geremi, Butt and (Behind Barton)?

• Leo

Jun 5, 2008 at 12:54 PM

i know i didnt like him to much at the start of the season and he won me over, but i think he could be a good manager when he is older, if he made the right choices as to where to start off.

• broon ale

Jun 5, 2008 at 12:55 PM

good on you butty! top bloke. met him in toon and he was good man. Excellent player too.

despite what some of the plonkers on this forum say he is a marvelous player.

• ToonKing

Jun 5, 2008 at 1:03 PM

Looking forward to seeing Butt as a manager ……………. meaning to finish playing as soon as possible 😀

He did have a good second half to the season though.

• Eric

Jun 5, 2008 at 1:03 PM

I would like Butt to stay. He won me over at the end of the season. He has experience and maturity to give to the team. OK, he may not be as fast as younger players now but he has commitment to NUFC. That is worth a medal in itself. I think he would make a good manager one day – let him make his start by getting his badges with NUFC.

• Davies

Jun 5, 2008 at 1:03 PM

Yeah, I spent the earlier part of last season calling him Licky Butt. I was forced to change my mind after he put on one of the best displays of any of our players this season against Birmingham. He was a legend after that.

I took all of my unkind remarks about him back.

Hope he keeps his legs for another season at least.

• GSfan

Jun 5, 2008 at 1:04 PM

Arda has told Turkish TV today that his representatives have met with those of Newcastle United and that a deal is not far off. A fee of 14million euros is mentioned with wages of £2million a year.

From what they say it looks as if the deal is almost done, but that he will have to wait for the end of Euros to sign officilly.

• John

Jun 5, 2008 at 1:05 PM

I was he’s biggest critic last year..Gave the ball away way too much for the first 5 months off the season..Nearer the end he did make an improvement but I would prefer we bought someone a bit younger and use Nicky as backup this year….I don’t think he has got what it takes now to last a full season…

• broon ale

Jun 5, 2008 at 1:10 PM

not sure what games you lot watch! Nicky butt has been our most consistent player for ages now. Not just the latter part of last season! Maybe you wer looking for a scapegoat during the tough times and he became ann easy target for you. Look no further than alan smith, geremi and joey barton if your looking for someone to have a pop at.

• Bill F

Jun 5, 2008 at 1:12 PM

Depends on whether we get the good Butt or his evil twin. Even the good Butt might struggle to get a start if we get some good-uns in the transfer window. Or even if if some of the youngsters step up.

• John

Jun 5, 2008 at 1:30 PM

mate, he was shocking aswell as others..not looking for a scape goat just my opinion..He was trying things like 60 yard balls which is not in he’s locker..

He even said himself when the teams confidence was low people were trying things they normaly dont do..

In fairness to the guy since probably the brimingham game he was quality and looked the part…

• broon ale

Jun 5, 2008 at 1:35 PM

have to disagree john but thats fine.

you will find all other credible newcastle websites such as true-faith.co.uk and nufc.com absolutely love Nicky Butt.

• John

Jun 5, 2008 at 1:43 PM

I do like the guy..He and few others were the one’s that stood up and be counted when we really needed it…There was a stage when i was thinking the worst last year but pulled it around amazingly well..

beating f*ing Spuds 4-1 …Absolutely Class..Def my highlight off last season

• oga

Jun 5, 2008 at 2:25 PM

Further proof of where Allardyce was trying to take us. How can you the then 32 year old a 3 year contract? Its not as if he was playing well. I bet he’s on stupid wages as well.

• CRAIGG

Jun 5, 2008 at 3:09 PM

Broon Ale you are spot on

I remember very vividly someone calling me ignorant for sticking up for Butt midway through last season as i was trying to point out that he was let down by playing in a midfield 3 with the jesters Geremi and Smith even through the bad patches of last season i thought he was playing pretty decent.

Also he was outstanding all the way through 06-07

• Marty

Jun 5, 2008 at 3:17 PM

ED;TOM TOON N OTHERS HERE
    As i live in Norway now,there is an ATT MID called ALANZINHO that plays for the topteam called stabaek in the Tippeligaen which is their PL.He`s BRAZILIAN n 5ft 4 but a real ZOLA type player.He played for Flamengo in Brazil.
    He`s 27/28 yrs old.
    Class player,check him out on you tube,probably 2mill would do it.
    Crap league i know but CHELSEA bought Mikel from Oslo.
    Wat yaz think??

• Tom_Toon

Jun 5, 2008 at 3:20 PM

Alanzinho is 25. didnt he win midfielder of the year last season? Could be worth a punt.

What about Fredheim Holm as a back-up stirker, how has he come along or even Elyounnoussi?

• Marty

Jun 5, 2008 at 3:29 PM

He`s been player of the yr the last 3yrs i think.
    I would give him a chance,def worth a punt!!!!
    Must call the KING right away,lol or that wise guy 😉
    Holm is doing really well in fact,looks a good strong striker.Would probably take him time to build up strength n pace of Pl but smart striker.

• Marty

Jun 5, 2008 at 3:35 PM

Tom Toon,not sure bout Elyounnoussi but Stabaek also have a guy thats playing brill n real strong CM called SOMEN TCHOYI from Cameroon n only a young guy too.
    Worth a Pop i reckon